How to Keep your Collectibles Dust Free???

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An air compressor could blow the dust off stuff pretty darn well, but it might also blow the stuff away with it. The architecture program at my university has a high power air compressor in the woodshop - professional quality.

I'm in the woodshop a good bit when I'm working on models and I get covered in sawdust pretty easily. A lot of the sawdust is pretty fine quality - like regular dust. A couple blasts from the air compressor though and my clothes are clean - no trace of sawdust.

I'm not sure I would use it on collectibles or anything fragile though. As long as you've got a good grip on the object it should be fine I suppose. But it's easily powerful enough to blow over a 1:6 figure. Maybe not a PF, but it sure would blow the clothes around on one.

Regular dust is less easy to remove than sawdust, I think. It sticks better together to the statue/bust etc. in question.

Oh, I think I'm misunderstood. I would absolutely have a secure hold of anything I blasted with air. With a secure hold, I think it would be fine though, except the most fragile areas, like wolverines claws on the Vs. Dio or the sword that stands up on the new Blade Vs. statue.

I didn't mean to blast with air a bunch of 1/6th figures that were standing up and unsecured. I would also secure any removable parts, like removable heads on PF exclusives.

So, with applying common sense to some degree, I think an air compressor would be very effective in removing dust from statues as long as any losse parts are secured or removed completely.

When I spray my figures with the air compressor I first hold up the palm of my other hand in front of the figure and spray it first. Then I quickly move my hand away and spray off the dust. It sounds funny but every so often those cans will spit out an initial blast of liquid and I'd rather that hit my hand instead of the collectible.

I prefer my figures/statues in the open air. They just feel more "alive" to me when not behind glass.

The Doom I got off an Ebay sale it dusty because I image owner never dusted. Now I plan on blasting it with air to remove it and then hopefully look relatively new. Now, the dust is a little detracting.

As far as your Doom, I'd just use a soft cloth to remove the majority of the dust, then see what I would need to use on the harder to reach crevices. I'd prefer to use a brush myself, cause it gives more control, rather than, possibly, a jet of air that may put pressure on a part and could even damage it. The convenience and practicality of a cloth and brush seems the go.

Dust is dirt. It's dirty. It absorbs moisture and leads to mould and other fungul infestations. It gives dust mites, an environment, on which to thrive, and they don't have good hygiene either. It can cause one to sneeze and have other allergic reactions, mostly due to the filthy dust mite habits. Cause dust mites don't flush I hear. They might, but I don't ever hear it.

So nothing out of the ordinary that doesn't already affect everything else in the house.Just thought that it must damage the statue ie colour,texture but haven't noticed any of those probs with mine that arent cased.

a mid firmness brush and an electronics air can is the ONLY way to clean collectibles properly. whenever you use a cloth, it leaves lint and can possibly damage the piece if you wipe over a delicate part and it snags or the force from your hand snaps it off. cloth is good for cleaning plain bases without much design.

For the air option, I would recommend a rocket blower

Designed for digital camera equipment, it draws air from a different source than the tip so as not to suck in and blow out the dust you've just aimed this thing at.

I usually keep a vacuum nozzle close to inhale the freed dust particles.

This is a better option to me than canned air because it doesn't release liquid agents, is cheaper, and well, never runs out.

However I agree with tyler that a full cleaning can not really be achieved without a direct contact device (brush)

For the air option, I would recommend a rocket blower

Designed for digital camera equipment, it draws air from a different source than the tip so as not to suck in and blow out the dust you've just aimed this thing at.

I usually keep a vacuum nozzle close to inhale the freed dust particles.

This is a better option to me than canned air because it doesn't release liquid agents, is cheaper, and well, never runs out.

However I agree with tyler that a full cleaning can not really be achieved without a direct contact device (brush)

i have tried the blower/vac device used for computer maintenance. as it is a great way to free up and remove the dust without spreading it, i've found that some statues need a 'blast' of air to get in the little crevices. maybe a combo of both? and i also agree that the liquid agents released with compressed air are not desirable. you must be conservative with the canned air and keep the can upright as not to saturate the item. i recently took down my entire lotr polystone collection. it took me a few days to clean and pack everything properly. just be patient.

Back