How to Keep your Collectibles Dust Free???

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That doesn't mean they aren't dusty. I have a couple of my best statues in a closed class cabinet, but after two or three months, when I change the display, the glass plates are dusty. Not much, but when you swipe your finger over them, you can see it clearly. So it does help, but it doesn't mean you never have to dust again.

I've also heard that some cans with air have some sort of chemical inside them for the pressure, that can cause damage to the paint? Can anyone confirm that? :confused:

I can't confirm it, but I have always wondered about that. I know those cans use some kind of chlorofluorocarbon and I never wanted to risk it. That's just me, I am sure that many here use it with no problems.

Don't shake the Can and hold it straight when you spray the air on your statues or figures. The chemicals that are necessary for the air pressure may cause discoloration if they get into contact with your statues or figures.

Cans of compressed air and a soft camera brush work great.

this is the best way to clean. the brush loosens the heavy stuff and the air gets in the nooks and crannys. with all the different statue designs, with mixed media and the many easily breakable parts and points, this method is the most proficient and least evasive.

this is the best way to clean. the brush loosens the heavy stuff and the air gets in the nooks and crannys. with all the different statue designs, with mixed media and the many easily breakable parts and points, this method is the most proficient and least evasive.

Exactly. Except with me, I use a make-up brush which is just as fine as a photo brush.

All of my 12 inch figures are in Detolfs, but my PF's I keep displayed openly, so I make dusting a chore of mine to do every other week.

So at Target there was a black and decker air compressor on the end cap of a clearance isle, marked down to $50 from $100. I picked it up. I love Target clearance items. This is going to be my method of dusting in the future.

Anyone think the air pressure would be too much and break any fragile pieces? I think I read on the box that it can fill a tire to 125 psi max. it's nothing heavy duty, just for around the house to fill tires, paint, etc.

So at Target there was a black and decker air compressor on the end cap of a clearance isle, marked down to $50 from $100. I picked it up. I love Target clearance items. This is going to be my method of dusting in the future.

Anyone think the air pressure would be too much and break any fragile pieces? I think I read on the box that it can fill a tire to 125 psi max. it's nothing heavy duty, just for around the house to fill tires, paint, etc.

i have an air compressor make sure it has a moisture trap, also you don't need that hi of psi to dust of your statue. maybe around 10-15 pounds:banana

i have an air compressor make sure it has a moisture trap, also you don't need that hi of psi to dust of your statue. maybe around 10-15 pounds:banana

Good advice, guess I'm going to have to read the manual. Are air compressors usually adjustable in amount of pressure released?

I've also heard that some cans with air have some sort of chemical inside them for the pressure, that can cause damage to the paint? Can anyone confirm that? :confused:
It's not only the chemicals you have to worry about, it's the temperature. Air under pressure can be quite cold. Don't hold the can too close to the object because it could freeze the surface, causing discolouration. Always give a test burst, before starting the job, to see the distance you will need to use.

Good advice, guess I'm going to have to read the manual. Are air compressors usually adjustable in amount of pressure released?
I wouldn't think so, unless you buy a pretty fancy one. They usually just keep building up pressure till it reaches an upper limit, then stops, once the pressure drops below that limit it starts pumping again. I wouldn't think it would be any good for dusting at all. Mechanics might use a quick high pressure burst to clean of brake pad dust, or dry a part off quickly, that sort of thing. You can buy an attachment for that sort of job.

I suppose, in theory, you could use a vaccuum cleaner, where you attach the hose/nozzle to the outlet to blow. You'd just need to block the hole to direct the air stream more readily. You don't want to go blowing your figures around your shelves.

I wouldn't think so, unless you buy a pretty fancy one. They usually just keep building up pressure till it reaches an upper limit, then stops, once the pressure drops below that limit it starts pumping again. I wouldn't think it would be any good for dusting at all. Mechanics might use a quick high pressure burst to clean of brake pad dust, or dry a part off quickly, that sort of thing. You can buy an attachment for that sort of job.

I suppose, in theory, you could use a vaccuum cleaner, where you attach the hose/nozzle to the outlet to blow. You'd just need to block the hole to direct the air stream more readily. You don't want to go blowing your figures around your shelves.

I've heard of people using compressors to dust. Okay, by "people" I mean my lazy friends, but a buddy of mine said he uses it to dust his wife's china cabinet and knick knacks around the house. I think for pieces like PF's and LSB's it would be fine, but with more delicate pieces like dioramas, probably want to avoid it.

Can anyone else comment on this? I don't want to do something I'm going to regret.

By dusting his wifes china cabinet, do you mean just the cabinet, or the china inside it? I've never heard of it before, but if they can, no reason why you can't. Just go easy and see how you go. I would think it would just blow the dust around, once it settles, you'll have to do it again.

Dust is dirt. It's dirty. It absorbs moisture and leads to mould and other fungul infestations. It gives dust mites, an environment, on which to thrive, and they don't have good hygiene either. It can cause one to sneeze and have other allergic reactions, mostly due to the filthy dust mite habits. Cause dust mites don't flush I hear. They might, but I don't ever hear it.

Creecher, I'm not implying an air compressor magically makes dust dissapear, it just dislocates it from the surface into the air, where it can be more easily removed as it settles to the floor through vacuuming or mopping.

The Doom I got off an Ebay sale it dusty because I image owner never dusted. Now I plan on blasting it with air to remove it and then hopefully look relatively new. Now, the dust is a little detracting.

An air compressor could blow the dust off stuff pretty darn well, but it might also blow the stuff away with it. The architecture program at my university has a high power air compressor in the woodshop - professional quality.

I'm in the woodshop a good bit when I'm working on models and I get covered in sawdust pretty easily. A lot of the sawdust is pretty fine quality - like regular dust. A couple blasts from the air compressor though and my clothes are clean - no trace of sawdust.

I'm not sure I would use it on collectibles or anything fragile though. As long as you've got a good grip on the object it should be fine I suppose. But it's easily powerful enough to blow over a 1:6 figure. Maybe not a PF, but it sure would blow the clothes around on one.

Back