How Much Would You Pay For A 1:6 Chewbacca?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How much would you be willing to pay for a 1:6 furry Chewbacca?

• $80 - 120

Votes: 43 44.3%
  • $120 - 180

Votes: 35 36.1%
  • $180 - 300

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • Who cares!!?? Its Chew-freakin-bacca!!!!! I'd pay anything!!!!!

Votes: 13 13.4%

• Total voters
Darklord Dave said:
And a sculpted Chewie is not acceptable.

Why Dave? If a sculpted Chewie is done right it would be a good thing. Right? Either way a sculpted Chewie is better than no Chewie at all.

I don't think I would be willing to pay more than a Medicom figure costs (about $150) and honestly for that amount Chewie had better be as close to perfect as possible.

I don't really mind if Chewie has fur or not at this point. As long as the figure looks as he should, I'm down with it. I can see the merits of both a sculpted and a furry Chewie. He's at the top of my most wanted list so for me not having Chewie at all is unacceptable.

Make sure he's the right size, looks like he should and has a great set of accessories and I'll be there on PPO day. :chew

Cocoboloboy said:
Why Dave? If a sculpted Chewie is done right it would be a good thing. Right? Either way a sculpted Chewie is better than no Chewie at all.

That's my thinking.

Darklord Dave said:
The first problem is sourcing the material that has the fur on it that looks right in scale.

The second problem is making the outfit out of that fur material.

The third problem is getting the face right in a combination of sculpt and fur.

Most of those problems occur in some way with every other figure made.

RotS Obi-Wan
- had to find fabric similar to that on screen
- then had to make the outfit. Obviously some problem with robe = delay
- Andy had to sculpt Ewan without a beard for the likeness and then the beard.

I am fine with a price increase as long as all of the additional money goes toward the expenses of making a better product. The profit should stay the same per unit.

One million trillion billion quadruple dip dollars

:chew :chew :chew :chew :chew :chew

Everyone has to keep in mind that in the end, it's still a 1/6th scaled "action figure". And that's another issue that SS has to consider when coming up with a reasonable price-point, regardless of what people here are posting that they are "willing to pay".

Unfortunately, this line has already lost steam. The flood of 12" SW figures being sold just here at the Freaks for the last couple of months has been quite an eye opener to me. In my opinion, anything over $120.00 (which is roughly double the price of a regular action figure price in the SW line) will alienate quite a number of collectors, who are getting used to the initial price point to begin with. Personally, my last purchase was Darth Maul, which in my opinion, is one of the top two figs in the line. But have passed on everything since him.

By the way, this line needed a big kick-in-the-pants release and old "Ben" Kenobi looks to be it. I just hope we don't see a big drop in detailing when the production piece starts arriving.

I don't know if the line has lost steam, or is now reaching what is more of a normal pace. The initial sell outs were probably largely due to prospectors hoping to make a quick buck. But with the 1/6 market like it is Sideshow is really producing about the right number of figures.

And remember, for those that are sold on the boards someone is usually snapping them up. And the pre-order exclusives are still selling out very quickly.

I agree. I think it's more of the line reaching a normal pace than losing steam. Some of the speculators have gone away which is good cause it will allow things to level out. Otherwise things seem to be going pretty good. I don't think you can judge how well a line is doing by how many people are selling their items. People that collect this stuff for the most part buy and sell like crazy.

Darklord Dave said:

So if you could get a Chewbacca that looked like this as a full 1/6 figure you'd turn it down?

review_ggchewie_1.jpg

For everyone that thinks a sculpted Chewie would be acceptable - look at the figure and imagine it with the arms in the air and the "hair" sticking out at 90 degrees. The sculpt just won't work with an articulated figure.

At least with sculpted, you are guaranteed (given quality sculpting and not Hasbro style) that it'll look like Chewbacca, at this small a scale, you're not going to get the hair quality that defines the character, I just don't see it ever happening.

possibly slightly off topic here, is the bowcaster on the GG bust removable ? I don't have one but I would buy one just for the bowcaster for a custom Chewie.

And furry Chewbacca all the way for me thanks !

You make a good point about the sculpted fur not laying properly... but that just a general issue with 1/6 clothing. It almost never hangs right because it doesn't have enought weight. Whatever fur they might use isn't naturally going to hang correctly either and would have to be pushed into the right position every time you repositioned him... and that would be hoping that whatever material they chose could be repositioned. I think no matter what they choose its never gonna be perfect.

But how I could see a sculpted one working is the hair would have to be generally sculpted hanging straight downward. That way even if the arms are up it wouldn't look too out of place compared to the if it was sculpted like the GG.

And for the record, I would still much prefer a furry version, but the bottom line is I must have a Chewbacca!:chew :chew

I think everyone would prefer a furry Chewbacca, but for me, what matters most is not materials but visual quality. If it's fur but looks nothing like Chewie, there's no sense to owning it. Bottom line for me, I want a 1/6 Chewie that looks like Chewbacca, and my leaning towards sculpted is based on what I've seen so far, which is no fur version looking just like Chewie, and several sculpted interpretations looking spot on, hell even Hasbro's 3 3/4" VOTV Chewie nailed him.

Maybe they should produce several Chewbacca statues. Unveil all of them at the same time so people can choose what they like the best. One would be him sitting on the Millenium Falcon couch. So that would be more exciting than just that couch if he comes with it. The others would be much less expensive if it was only him.

except if each statue would be around the same price point that a near perfect articulated furred Chewie would turn out to be then there's not much of a point.

Back