How much devaluation if opened?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would say it is a bonus unopened but does not afect the price at all really. I had a HT Rambo M65 jacket version unopened but I still had to describe it as used on the description on ebay. Just said this is in mint condition never out of the box etc. If you got damaged parts or missing parts this will effect the price, sometimes quite significantly.

My tip is, just really look after your figures and try not to handle to much, as ware and tear can soon make a good figure look pretty bad.

I never ell somehting completely new, as i'd never know if somethings wrong or broken inside

Personally speaking I think worrying about the re-sale value of an item before you have even received it is a little bizarre.

I buy a piece because I love the Art that comes with them, the character, the pose etc. If I have to sell down the line then so be it, but I don't understand peeps worrying about it before they even have the piece in hand.
...but that's just me, I don't understand a lot about HT/12" or figure collecting so each to their own I guess :lol.
x :peace

:goodpost: Nothing stops me from opening my figures unless I buy multiples. Then I might keep one unopened.

I don't think opened in general is a big thing with 1/6, but I'd say being 100% complete is more important

:exactly:

Hot Toys and Sideshow (along with every high end figure manufacturer) ships there figures in collector friendly packaging. That means that you usually only have to cut a one inch round sticker to open the outside flap. After that the worst you'll encounter is twist ties. That means everything can be put back in place just like you found it.

As long as the figure is complete with all it's accessories it is still 'mint in box', just not 'never removed from box'.

Definition: MIB - Mint In Box, is the phrase used to describe an item in as new condition in its original packaging. Mint in Box items may have been opened and are not the same as NRFB (never removed from box) condition items. The item and it's box are in the same condition as the day they left the factory.

As long as a figure has been well cared for and is complete I don't mind paying at least original retail value. Most of this stuff goes up in value even if it's not "NRFB".

There are still neurotic people like myself who will only buy if it's MISB/NRFB. And those products tend to bring slightly higher prices depending on what it is. But like Maglor said most of this stuff will only go UP in value even if opened.

I think it's relative to how long the figure has been off the market. Clearly you can still sell for profit if it's in demand and MIB samples are through the roof. Now if it's a current piece, then I would say a 35 to 40% decrease should be expected.

True, but I've never been in a position where I was considering selling a current piece. Not sure why someone would, unless they were just that strapped for cash.

It won't be worth more than you paid whether you open it or not. So many are produced and the exclusive extra item isn't that attractive. If you don't really want it, just cancel your order and make it available to someone else who really wants it.

On EBay, opened HT don't appear to sell for less. No box appears to sell for $50 cheaper, in my observation.

If I remember right, only the 5 panel style box has a bit of tape.

I think you should open it, to check if there is a damage or dent. We can fix the clothing that is wrinkled too

I think you should open it, to check if there is a damage or dent.

This is actually a good point. One could argue that a figure that has been displayed and appreciated (or at least inspected) is less likely to have major flaws than a figure that has never been opened. Also, an auction for an item that has been opened will most likely have pictures of the actual figure rather than a stock image.

I'm immediately turned off by stock images. I'd much rather be able to see what I will actually be receiving.

Back