How much devaluation if opened?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KVASEY

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
I am a brand new collector. In fact, the first item I ordered back in September hasn't shipped yet. I ordered the 12" Boba Fett exclusive version. I have now become more interested in collecting Marvel items, so I was thinking I would just resell in a few months, but was wondering if it was okay to remove it from the box and display it for a while first. But, if I do that, how much will that affect the resale value?

Basically if you treat it like a baby and keep it away from dust and make sure to wash your hands before handling it, The value won't decrease much. It all depends on how you treat it outside the box.

Better to open and inspect. Some figures have defects, and if you don't check but future buyers do, you may end up losing out and not having a recourse to return it to the retailer you bought it from originally.

You can say "not responsible for defects--this item is unopened," but some buyers won't be satisfied with that, and Paypal/EBay are very buyer-friendly.

In other words, you may lose a few bucks this way, but you can save yourself headaches down the road.

just open it, play it...and pray that it will end up like Doom PF or Darth Talon PF :panic:
or if in 1/6 case...Joker DX :D :D

Everybody has different opinions. Value is based on personal opinion, not fact. Nothing is EVER worth more or less than someone is willing to pay. There is no way to determine value of opened items. Someone may care, someone else may not.

I'd personally say if you are looking at buying items to display for a while and just resell, you are going to end up losing money most every time. Very few items end up really boosting in value and most of the time opened items won't be worth as much as sealed items.

Personally speaking I think worrying about the re-sale value of an item before you have even received it is a little bizarre.

I buy a piece because I love the Art that comes with them, the character, the pose etc. If I have to sell down the line then so be it, but I don't understand peeps worrying about it before they even have the piece in hand.
...but that's just me, I don't understand a lot about HT/12" or figure collecting so each to their own I guess :lol.
x :peace

I get the impression he's hoping to buy stuff and open it to enjoy for a while and hopes he can do that and then sell it later for a profit. So buying for the purpose of making money while enjoying the pieces first.

Personally I find it a tad bizarre myself. I don't dig sloppy seconds.

Statues dont seem t0 lose much, I prefer my hot toys figures brand new, cause they can be played with/joints loosened. Statues I just want without any breaks.

Personally speaking I think worrying about the re-sale value of an item before you have even received it is a little bizarre.

I buy a piece because I love the Art that comes with them, the character, the pose etc. If I have to sell down the line then so be it, but I don't understand peeps worrying about it before they even have the piece in hand.
...but that's just me, I don't understand a lot about HT/12" or figure collecting so each to their own I guess :lol.
x :peace

Absolutely, anyone giving you these ballpark figures "X%" etc. is full of it. With ALL collectibles it;s not possible to measure. There is production costs, original retail value and perceived value which is driven solely by demand.

The only conclusive feedback I might be able to give you, and mind you it's still a matter of opinion however mostly rooted in fact, is that most collectors in this market open the boxes and take the figure out. I suspect it's because its easy to do so and put it back in flawlessly.

and if something is rare and in high demand it will fetch a buyer. Most are not interested in opened or closed so long as the figure and package is mint.

Well as a ballpark figure, they lose about 30% of their value once the box has been opened. I follow the advice of Andy Stitzer on this, who said: "Don't take it out!... It loses its value if you take it out of its packaging".
;) :lol

YMMV.

Last edited:
For some long sold out items it's even better to have them checked out first, if it comes "factory sealed" and still has some damage inside, in the end you might not be too happy.

Back