How it's made: 1/6 Death Star hallway

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was it a C&D from Disney or a licensee perhaps? Hot Toys just showed off the Death Star wall panels that plug into their stands with their ROTJ Stormtroopers at SDCC. I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

According to the Mod it was Sideshow and Hot Toys.

So they basically shut you down from selling on the forum only or do they indicate that you can sell elsewhere, such as eBay?

So they basically shut you down from selling on the forum only or do they indicate that you can sell elsewhere, such as eBay?

We're trying to figure that out. Plastica has started a sale thread on Facebook (and many collectors Facebook groups)

Last edited:
Could you "rebrand" it as something like "fantasy/sci-fi spaceship hallway"? I know there were some 1/12 scale ones in that vain floating around a while back.

What a load of total, and utter BS!

So sorry to hear this Jazz.

There are a zillion backyard productions of various Star Wars stuff being produced all over the globe and they decide to target this? :slap

What a load of total, and utter BS!

So sorry to hear this Jazz.

There are a zillion backyard productions of various Star Wars stuff being produced all over the globe and they decide to target this? :slap

My thoughts exactly!

My thoughts exactly!

I imagine you were targeted because the quality of the work was excellent and you were able to efficiently offer it as an option for others who admired your project. In other words they view you as a threat. Complimentary I suppose but a load of BS for sure!

Similar stuff for 6" and 4" figures is sold on the web for some time now by a few individuals and they don't seem to be bothered by licencing issues.

The thing that bugs me the most is that there is no direct replacement product for those interested to go to. So, not only am I not hurting anyone, with a ridiculously low volume anyway, but those people interested are screwed now too

The thing that bugs me the most is that there is no direct replacement product for those interested to go to. So, not only am I not hurting anyone, with a ridiculously low volume anyway, but those people interested are screwed now too

I think Sideshow and Hot Toys should be ashamed of themselves. While I wasn't in a position to buy one myself, I followed the progress of your hallway kit very keenly because of the sheer perfectionism and love for the Death Star production design that you brought to it. If you had been selling a sub-standard product then I could understand their reaction, but it's quite the reverse - they clearly felt threatened by your superb work. No licensed product could compete with it (not that there is one). And how many have you sold? 500, a thousand? Er, no - as you said, a ridiculously low volume. I hope you find a way to keep producing these for everyone that wants one. What's next, a C&D to Jnix? Idiots.

I imagine you were targeted because the quality of the work was excellent and you were able to efficiently offer it as an option for others who admired your project. In other words they view you as a threat. Complimentary I suppose but a load of BS for sure!

That's what I'm guessing. In addition to there being no replacement product; your set may have had the side effect of selling more HT and SSC product to complement it.

At any rate, you can't really be stopped, you may just have to go underground and rely on discreet word-of-mouth. "I know a guy..." -- You shouldn't have to do that, though and I guess it creates various other problems. It's not like you were mass-producing packaged, unlicensed figures.

I definitely bought my Stormtrooper's and Darth Vader only because of the hallway dio. They should be praising and highlighting his work.

I think Sideshow and Hot Toys should be ashamed of themselves. While I wasn't in a position to buy one myself, I followed the progress of your hallway kit very keenly because of the sheer perfectionism and love for the Death Star production design that you brought to it. If you had been selling a sub-standard product then I could understand their reaction, but it's quite the reverse - they clearly felt threatened by your superb work. No licensed product could compete with it (not that there is one). And how many have you sold? 500, a thousand? Er, no - as you said, a ridiculously low volume. I hope you find a way to keep producing these for everyone that wants one. What's next, a C&D to Jnix? Idiots.

Agreed 100%! Nothing they make comes anywhere near the quality of Jazz's work.

Farking clowns - this has really pissed me off!

Pure speculation, but usually these things happen when the big guys with the licenses feel garage guys are going to step on their toes. If there isn’t any conflict, they usually turn a blind eye. Like somebody else mentioned, the ROTJ Stormtrooper Hot Toys recently showed off had some death star hallway panels – maybe Jazz's efforts were a little too close for comfort.

Eh, it still reeks of something weird. The updates in this thread and the posts in the interest thread made it clear what the intent was and what it would look like. Why did it disappear right before live orders? Why not say something sooner and save the artists some troubles and effort. At least the parties involved are handling with class. Hopefully there is no financial loss. That was a pretty significant commitment of time and materials that was assumed could be sold...in about a minute...to 10 lucky folks. Still a great job. It's nice to have threads like this to break up straight figure ones. Fingers crossed this isn't the beginning of a crackdown on custom work.

Eh, it still reeks of something weird. The updates in this thread and the posts in the interest thread made it clear what the intent was and what it would look like. Why did it disappear right before live orders? Why not say something sooner and save the artists some troubles and effort.

The thread popped up on, what Thursday or Friday? Thread got shut down on Monday, lawyers don't work on the weekend. You're not going to send someone a C&D without any infringement taking place. They likely just watch the Interest Thread forum, as that's where all the infringement takes place. They're not going to read every single thread in every forum, watching for people infringing on their IP.

In any case, hopefully the parties involved have learned a valuable lesson. Namely "Buy this Death Star diorama I made, with a Chewbacca figure on it" That's bad. "Buy this Reactor Station Gamma diorama I made, with a Robocop figure on it." That's good.

It's not like Hot Toys started out making unlicensed figures of George Lucas or anything.

Jazz should just rename his wonderful dio 'The Corridor' and carry on selling it.

It's not like Hot Toys started out making unlicensed figures of George Lucas or anything.

Jazz should just rename his wonderful dio 'The Corridor' and carry on selling it.

'Science Fiction Space Station Corridor with Light up feature'.

Back