How high are you?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The pedestals I use are 42" tall, and I think my Cinemaquettes look perfect at that height. I'm 6'. 36" would be too short in my opinion. I want the eye of the statue to be about my eye level. If you're talking about 1:4 scale SS pieces 36 would definitely be too low in my opinion.

The pedestals I use are 42" tall, and I think my Cinemaquettes look perfect at that height. I'm 6'. 36" would be too short in my opinion. I want the eye of the statue to be about my eye level. If you're talking about 1:4 scale SS pieces 36 would definitely be too low in my opinion.

A post related to the actual topic?! Are you sure you posted in the right area? :wink1:

I think I stumbled across your collection. You have the marble looking pedestals right? If those are the 42” pedestals they do look like a good height for your Cinemaquettes. Great display BTW.

My collection is all 1:1 scale items. They have a lot of detail on the top that needs to be viewable. So anything eye level wouldn’t allow you to catch the details on top. As of now, I’m still landing at 36”. Thanks for the input though.

Why don't you go to an art museum?

I have been to a number of different museums and take note of their displays...I always like to get ideas. I have not gone as far as measuring anything. I might have to do that on my next trip to a museum. I just hope I don't get tackled by security in doing so.

re: Detolf.

Buying a Detolf is only the first step. Installation isn't necessarily complete until you add a base to it. I've added 28" under each of my Detolf to bring their lowest shelf to about the same height as my office desk.

I'm still building out the office, so excuse the mess:

photo2_zps3568e210.jpg

The base is a cut-down 15x30 Akurum wall cabinet (12" deep) with a cheap 15x24 Harlig door. I've covered each side of the Akurum with cut-down pieces of a Nexus Black Brown door I bought in the AS-IS section of Ikea for $10. The side covers extend the full depth of the Detolf so you can't tell from the outside that the Akurum base is not as deep as the Detolf.

photo1_zps2a819286.jpg

There's no knob/handle on the door because I've installed a push-to-open mechanism that I also picked up in the as-is section. You can fill a bag with this type of miscellaneous part for $1. Also, in the first image, see the light switches on the wall to the left of the Detolf? Notice there are two smaller switches on the left side? Those turn on the LED lighting in the display cabinets, one for each side of the room. :)

Last edited:
9/10 detolf displays I've seen would be substantially improved by raising the detolf. But I don't know about installing them upside down as Mr Piper has done... I shudder at the thought of all those figures dropping to the ceiling.

Ha! I just swapped the top and bottom pieces so that I could easily hide the pre-drilled hole that won't be used. Electrical will be run through the metal frame of the detolf, each side of the frame will be electrified positive and negative respectively.

Looks better up there, but I agree with Lejuan, that makes me a little nervous.

We have an art curator at my work. I'm going to ask her opinion on the subject. She's going to think I a nerd.

Looks better up there, but I agree with Lejuan, that makes me a little nervous.

If this is in reference to my images, Lejuan was making a joke implying that I'd set the Detolf upside down, and that by doing so I'd reversed gravity.

The cabinet is still assembled the way it's supposed to be, with each shelf resting on a metal rail. The only difference is that there's a hole in the bottom end instead of the top. The ends themselves are otherwise identical. The base cabinet is affixed to the wall and so is the very top of the Detolf. None of the three are going anywhere even if you walk into them or try and push them over forcefully.

If this weren't in an office and were in a hallway or gallery, I would consider a lower base or one at 30" (2" taller), but not extending upwards of 7" like the mounted Detolf does. I do wish I had 9 or 10 foot ceilings on the second floor like I do on the first.

I must have missed the joke in my sleepy state. I was concerned about it toppling over, but if it's secured you're golden.

Someone else mentioned that he'd previously seen my Detolf image upside-down, so that could also have been what prompted the joke about reversing gravity ("falling up"). I need to find a better image host than Photobucket or just host them myself. That site is a nightmare.

Someone else mentioned that he'd previously seen my Detolf image upside-down, so that could also have been what prompted the joke about reversing gravity ("falling up"). I need to find a better image host than Photobucket or just host them myself. That site is a nightmare.

:lol yeh, first time I saw your pics they were upside down. My stupid joke wasn't referring to the actual detolf components being installed or oriented in a particular way.

Back