How do you feel about buying slightly damaged statues?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amphion

Super Freak
Reaction score
I'm not sure how I feel about this just yet, since I'm pretty new to collecting. In the last few weeks though, on eBay I've seen Shaak Ti sell for $460 with all slight chip on her arm and a EX Snowtrooper sell for $320 where the gun arm was cracked and reglued in several places.

Is this just a matter of these particular statues being rare and collectors thinking that they can professionally repair them and have the statue be as good as new while saving a bit on money?

I always thought that everyone in this hobby was such a perfectionist that these statues would not sell.

What's everyone's opinion on this?

I personally wouldn't buy a damaged statue. I'm much too OCD when it comes to chips or breaks that I wouldn't be able to move past them. But thats just me, I've seen a lot of people buy slightly damaged statues on eBay, so it really effects everyone differently. You just gotta ask yourself if you'd be happy displaying it the way it currently is.

I'll buy a damaged statue if I know I can repair it back to 100% but I still want it at a discounted price no matter how "rare" it is b/c it's not in Mint Condition anymore and I have to put in the work to bring back it's original value.

I've bought a few damaged statues and I've been satisfied with all of them. As long as it doesn't take away from the display, I'm fine with a little imperfection. A broken hand or arm that was repaired and now hardly noticeable, fine with me. Something major like the paint chipping on the Psylocke Premium Format is one that scared me away from that statue all together. The thought of paint chipping away is too much. I have a movie black widow that ended up being a good deal for probably $60 less than retail for a broken/ repaired hand that doesn't bother me. My favorite bargain was on the Bowen action Juggernaut. While not damaged, I bought it shipped without it's original box for $190.00. The statue is perfect and mint ones like it were going for $350 when I was looking into getting one. That bargain convinced me to splurge and get the Bowen Mr. Sinister. I figure in a hobby where everything costs a few hundred dollars and prices continue to rise, a bargain here and there can be a very good feeling. As long as your willing to live with slight imperfections.

dASLucK.gif

Depends on the damage and the price and if you know how to repair the damage.

I have gotten a few of my pieces for much less than retail due to damage.
After a few weeks of fiddling, they look fine.

Got my Grievous for under 400 due to a few MINOR issues, easily resolved.

Depends on the damage and the price and if you know how to repair the damage.

This right here. Other things I consider when buying damaged - Is this piece sold out? Do I LOVE this piece and plan on keeping it for the foreseeable future or only like it and might re-sell?

I passed on the Snowtrooper PF new and mint at $175. $320 would be hard for me to say yes to. I realize at this point in time you are limited to market prices. I got my Luke/Vader Bespin dio for $110 shipped at the end of last year. Quite a bit of damage but almost all was repairable. Now I have an awesome display piece at 1/3 of the retail price.

For me it depends. A "clean break" that's been glued back perfectly to the point where you can't tell it was broken is ok with me. Something more severe I'd probably pass. I have received stuff that's supposedly broken in shipping that I've been able to repair close enough to perfect to keep.

I have purchased very few. But they had very minor, almost unnoticeable defects. Which I repaired. I normally don't go for damaged items but they were projects i improved myself and I gt them for a great deal anyway.

I got a assaj Pf damaged for $100.. fixed her and you do not see a thing... ! Love it ! so all depends on the deal you get and if you can see the damage later on

I'm not sure how I feel about this just yet, since I'm pretty new to collecting. In the last few weeks though, on eBay I've seen Shaak Ti sell for $460 with all slight chip on her arm and a EX Snowtrooper sell for $320 where the gun arm was cracked and reglued in several places.

Is this just a matter of these particular statues being rare and collectors thinking that they can professionally repair them and have the statue be as good as new while saving a bit on money?

I always thought that everyone in this hobby was such a perfectionist that these statues would not sell.

What's everyone's opinion on this?

It is hard enough getting good quality control even when they are undamaged so generally do not even consider broken/repaired stuff unless it is invisible when repaired.

You make custom pieces, you do not count MYC. :p

ah thats mean :lol .. no.. she was broke underneath the close and her neck.. just glued back and filled a bit the cracks.. it was really not a big deal and a noobie job..

as said.. it all depends on the damage and if its visible .. and the price of course :)

Back