How do you feel about Hot Toys doing second runs of Vader, Chewie, Han and Obi-Wan?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So some new questions

1. If we think they will over produce to meet demand...wouldn't it make sense to wait for that to bring market prices down to get the best price on an HT figure?
2. Why would you pre-order anything if they would do a second run and IMPROVE things?
3. Shouldn't this actually bring initial prices down? Not keep driving them up?

So some new questions

1. If we think they will over produce to meet demand...wouldn't it make sense to wait for that to bring market prices down to get the best price on an HT figure?
2. Why would you pre-order anything if they would do a second run and IMPROVE things?
3. Shouldn't this actually bring initial prices down? Not keep driving them up?

1. I doubt they will ever over produce and there's no guarantee it would bring prices down.
2. Well your never going to know if they will do a second run or not...so...it'll be the same as it is now really.
3. Hot Toys charge what they want, so no prices won't come down

People will always pay what they want for these things. About 4-5 years ago I threw my Sideshow Han & Luke Stormtroopers on Ebay . I started the bidding at .99 cents. I was hoping to get about $250 for it which is what they were all selling for at that time. For some odd reason two bidders went to war on this thing. When it was over it sold for $770. I was shocked, since I was competing against other auctions for the same items , some were Buy It Now that were for $300!!! I see there is a guy on Ebay selling a Han & Chewie two pack for $4000. I’m sure someone see it and impulse buy it.

People will always pay what they want for these things. About 4-5 years ago I threw my Sideshow Han & Luke Stormtroopers on Ebay . I started the bidding at .99 cents. I was hoping to get about $250 for it which is what they were all selling for at that time. For some odd reason two bidders went to war on this thing. When it was over it sold for $770. I was shocked, since I was competing against other auctions for the same items , some were Buy It Now that were for $300!!! I see there is a guy on Ebay selling a Han & Chewie two pack for $4000. I’m sure someone see it and impulse buy it.

My sentiments as well. Something is worth however much it's worth to you as the buyer.

I love the way this thread has gone. The second run has brought out the best in people, just as limited availability brought out the worst (scalping). I hope rereleases and second runs are here to stay. I'm not saying stuff should be permanently available, just that people sometimes get a second chance at things like this. I hope Sideshow rerelease some of the pricier figures, like Greedo or the Tusken Raider, to augment the HT collection.

I love the way this thread has gone. The second run has brought out the best in people, just as limited availability brought out the worst (scalping). I hope rereleases and second runs are here to stay. I'm not saying stuff should be permanently available, just that people sometimes get a second chance at things like this. I hope Sideshow rerelease some of the pricier figures, like Greedo or the Tusken Raider, to augment the HT collection.

Ah, I like to think that the way one acts and carries themselves in situations where they feel they won't have to be held accountable or if they feel they can get away with something, is a testament to that person's true character.

As an analogy, kind of like people adopting a different persona on the Internet than what they have in their every day face to face interaction with people, or the ones that will steal (even something trivial) if they know they won't get caught.

Some situations bring out the worst in people, and when they use that situation as a way to act in such a way because they feel they can get away with it, it also brings out and is representative of someone's true character.

Personally, I don't really look this much into it. I collect these figures because I enjoy the films and the characters, and these figures have some of the best likenesses and details that I've ever seen on a collectible. If there's a figure I like and I feel it's worth a particular price to me, even retail, I get it. If the price curtails later on, I don't beat myself up over it because at the time I got it, it was worth X amount of money to me, so enjoy it. If I'm not willing to even spend retail price on a figure that I can live without, I don't get it. If I see it later on at a low price, sure, perhaps I'll get it because it'd be cool to have. But it's not worth above X amount of money to me.

It's really that simple. Simply how much something is worth to me. The only person making the decision to buy these is myself. It's not like I'm being coerced.

I'm jumping on the opportunity with Han and Chewie because HT is releasing them again. Could I have gotten them on the after market because I missed them the first time at retail? Sure, but it wasn't worth $350+ to me, hence why I didn't get one. I probably never would have if they always remained that price and I would have had to just settle with that. However, they're being released again at retail, so I'm taking advantage of it. I personally don't think I'd pay over roughly $275 for a Solo. That's how much he's worth to me.

I mean to me it's not that hard; you like a figure, you get it if the price is worth it to you. If you don't like it, or you don't feel the price is worth it to you, you don't get it. Simple as that.
^^This^^

Yesterday i bought the Han and Chewie double pack from a fellow collector and awaiting it to be shipped. I waited for what seemed like forever to get a price i was willing to pay on these guys from someone within Canada. My patience paid off.

Every collector knows hot toys aren't cheap to begin with so I'll only pay what a figure is worth to me as i have no intentions on reselling or flipping them (and i'm still waiting on a T-1000). I highly doubt you will ever see a complete HT figure at a swap meet for $20. As long as it holds most of it's value im more than happy. IMO the fact is at HT prices they are out of reach for most fans and they will always be a desirable collectors item to most. I myself do not mind that they'll be doing a reissue as HT are smart enough to not flood the market. I'm very happy that others that missed out now have a chance. When i started collecting HT i told myself i would never just buy a figure cause i thought it looked good or it was the new hot movie. The character/ property has to of had an impact on my life which is why 99% of my collection is from properties in the 80's. If you have enough disposal income where you can buy every new figure that comes out (just so you can say you owned it) you probably don't need to worry about losing a few dollars here and there. As for flippers ( and im not talking the guys who make $20 or $30 on a figure)......there are alot more tangible avenues to perfect your "hustle" and it sucks that one would feel the need to prey on a fellow collector.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

I am fine with what Hot Toys did. Although, since I did buy my Han & Chewie for higher than retail, I decided to get a 2nd set to spread out costs over the 2 figures. I don't buy to resell but value will still be in my mind regardless. I got sucked in and had no idea HT would do a 2nd run, oh well.

Also, because Obi Wan is really only in episode 4 as a main character, outside of some brief appearances with Yoda later, I feel there is value in collectors getting a 2nd one of him. He can be displayed with his ragged cloak and white robes, and look like 2 unique releases, side by side.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

I am fine with it. It gives more people a chance to collect a figure. It's not like these are cheap things either. So there is still a high barrier of entry lending well to their exclusivity.

The only thing that makes me upset is why do they charge X amount for y amount produced (hence the limited aspect). Which makes me as a collector agree to said price, then have them release another batch, which totally goes against my agreement in thinking its a limited collectors piece so the price is justified. It's really lame on HTs part. 'Hey, these turned out better than we thought, let's make more.' Doesn't justify the cost.

were these limited figures to begin with? some say yes, others say no

and if you're only collecting figures cause they have a limited production stamp on them, then you must have tons of other stuff from beanie babies, to barbies to gold coins to sneakers.

I collect items I like, I could care less if the item is limited, unfortunately some are.

were these limited figures to begin with? some say yes, others say no

and if you're only collecting figures cause they have a limited production stamp on them, then you must have tons of other stuff from beanie babies, to barbies to gold coins to sneakers.

I collect items I like, I could care less if the item is limited, unfortunately some are.

I collect limited items, if I didn't, I'd buy Hasbro figures.

Back