How do you afford this stuff? (formerly people on the forum)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gazombie

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi,im new member to the forum but read it alot before i joined. im 24 and on part time wage (above 500 under 1000 pounds) and trying to get into collecting figures,busts or any film/video game memorabilia. with being in a recession and bills to pay how do you guys afford all the hot toys/sideshow busts? i don't mean to be personal but im getting the play arts kai mgs figures and thats costly at 60 pound each to me but i see you guys with loads of hot toys and then talking about the W/M bust (850 pounds) and it blows my mind.do you have amazing jobs or rich parents? how old are the collectors on this forum and what do your girlfriend/wives think of your hobby? (mine hates it :( )

Re: people on the forum

There is a thread where members post their ages.

One thing to consider is that peoples collections take years to amass, many choose Hot Toys or Sideshow or others rather than all, and many use flex pay and other ways of paying off for them, being pre-orders means you can save up too.

I know what you mean some have big big collections and order lists, i myself have a spreadsheet for each quarter and only spend a certain amount to keep myself in check.

I would guess that most of us who probably have jobs that give us a bit of disposable income at the end of the month (though I suppose some just have rich parents :lol ). But honestly, I buy most of my stuff nowadays using funds I get from selling stuff I already own. Like Nova says, it does take years for the average collector to get a sizable collection.

Some reasons
1.Good Job/Overtime or Multiple Jobs
2.Wealthy Parents or Spouse/Inheritence
3.Flexpay/Credit
4.Aquired over time
5.Bargain Hunting-patiently waiting for deals
6.Bad prioritizing mis-management of money buying toys before food or utilities, it has been called an addiction.

There are threads on how much people spend on these things, how old they are, what their shelves look like etc, recommend you check them out.

Based on what others have posted, I'm in the 'average' category in terms of what I buy - around a figure a month. Some peeps throw a lot more cash at the hobby, others a lot less, depending on their disposable income and priorities.

My girlfriend makes my hobby work for her. She knows that every time a figure arrives she can go out shopping for a new pair of shoes, handbag, perfume etc.

I'm a former chemistry teacher who now have my own personal business with a former student of mine. Business had some bumps on the road but business is booming at the moment.

Hi,im new member to the forum but read it alot before i joined. im 24 and on part time wage (above 500 under 1000 pounds) and trying to get into collecting figures,busts or any film/video game memorabilia. with being in a recession and bills to pay how do you guys afford all the hot toys/sideshow busts? i don't mean to be personal but im getting the play arts kai mgs figures and thats costly at 60 pound each to me but i see you guys with loads of hot toys and then talking about the W/M bust (850 pounds) and it blows my mind.do you have amazing jobs or rich parents? how old are the collectors on this forum and what do your girlfriend/wives think of your hobby? (mine hates it :( )
Here in AUS we aren't far off from your prices for the Play Arts Kai figures.

I paid about $70 AUS per figure, give or take a few dollars.

With figures in general, I only buy specific ones.

There are definitely a select few who have VERY DEEP POCKETS. I am also probably somewhere in the middle. I collect statues but I certainly don't buy EVERYTHING and am selective about what I buy. I have been fortunate enough to have a job that pays fairly well, my wife also makes decent money, and I have zero debt which obviously helps. My family, savings, investments, 401k are my priority but I do have some left over for personal spending...which I promptly spend on statues:yess::yess: I'd have to say though, I am 34 so I have saved up enough money to be comfortable buying this stuff. I tend not to spend lavishly on other stuff like clothes, shoes, cars, etc. I'm sure there are some who spend pretty much any money that comes in on the hobby but hey, it's their life and their money!

I have been collecting since I was little.
Stamps, tin-tin books, comics etc

It was an evolution for me to collect statues, HT and fine art
How does one afford it? Well, you save, work hard and do what your passionate about. Some if us make more money than others that's all.

For me the next step of the evolution was to have my own company that makes these collectables. I hate it when I'm told it cannot be done! Now I'm selling our products to the likes of SS!
Nothing or nobody should ever stop you from your dreams and what brings joy to your life and others!

My suggestion is take your time collecting, there is always something better right around the corner!

The way I do it, the guys I order from are actually friends and we've agreed to have a monthly fee of €400 max. I'd otherwise get over a 1.000 on pre-orders that are in stock every 2 months and I can't get that much at once, so we agreed €400 monthly, it does result in getting some stuff later than others but I don't really care.

I have a good job, but had to cut down a bit because of the recession. But just a bit. I also don't have a luxurious car or spend on expensive clothes or other luxuries. I don't really need them and I'd rather spend the $$ on toys.

I'm also friends with local dealers who sell me the Hot Toys figs for 15 to 20% off retail (sometimes wholesale cost), no tax and no shipping. :D

Last edited:

I have a good job, but had to cut down a bit because of the recession. But just a bit. I also don't have a luxurious car or spend on expensive clothes or other luxuries. I don't really need them and I'd rather spend the $$ on toys. :D

I don't drink or smoke, so that helps too :wink1:

I work in I.T. and I'm single at the moment. So yeah, plenty of spare time and money being misallocated at the moment. I will probably regret all my decisions this year and sell everything next year.

Me... I only collect Resident Evil. A cohesive collection works for me and saves me money. I would love to collect Tomb Raider stuff but so far only statues have been made. Hopefully HT's make a 1/6 figure. :pray:

go for the good stuff (sideshow exclusive statues) that has chance to retain/increase in value in case you need to sell it later on. Sorry to say but those play arts stuff are just throw away toys, they will only be worth pennies on the dollar down the road, hot toys isnt any better nowdays.

As for money, i figured it's better to waste some collecting those statues and have cool things to look at & enjoy over time than to blow it on booze&women to keep myself out of trouble :nana: I have a pretty stressful job in the financial industry this is like therapy that relaxes me....except when i get a bad statue then it's :mad:

Back