How did you hear about Sideshow Collectibles?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A friend of mine had been emailing me links to Michael Crawford's reviews (I think one of them was for the Aliens Ripley cargo lift) and I thought they were great and all, but not necessarily anything I wanted to get into.

Until...

I saw a web ad on the Digital Bits site for the Indy 1/6 in March of this year. I had to have him, waiting since Raiders first came out to get a good 12" version (I remember only ever seeing the 12" version of Indy in a small black and white ad in Starlog, maybe, to mail away for it. I don't remember how much it was going for ($20?) but that it was way too expensive for me! The whole 3.25" line back then was pretty disappointing considering we were spoiled by all the great Star Wars stuff out at the time.)

ANH Han was the first figure I actually got, and once I got him and saw the fantastic quality, I went crazy and started pre-ordering and getting stuff on Ebay. I scoured the Sideshow site and Michael Crawford's site, checking out all the figures and drooling over all of them. The price was always an issue, but once I started getting the actual figures, I thought they were worth every penny! And really, $60-$90 a figure is not THAT bad (though I got some good bargains on Ebay)... So far I have 6 crowding my desk (much to my wife's dismay), one on waitlist and 5 more on pre-order, not to mention a few others I'm eyeing for my Christmas list.

Now I'm constantly checking this forum and the Sideshow site for any updates or news.

It's a sickness!

Yeah, they went out of business or were bought out years ago. They used to carry a ton of Sideshow figures. I picked up most of my Uni Monsters there, along with the Monty Python figures, the Ash figures and the Spinal Tap box set. And I remember getting the Young Frankenstein figures on clearance for half-price. It's sad that there isn't anyplace like that anymore.

I always liked Media Play. They had a loyalty program that you could really play to your advantage.

I was checking out eBay for LotR items and came across a Faramir 1/6. It said Sideshow in the listing so I did some research that led me back to Sideshowtoy.com. It's a curse to me now. :lol

I don't remember, but it was either when the "Young Frankenstein" or "This Is Spinal Tap" figures came out, I mighta read about them in ToyFare magazine first. When I saw the "Young Frankenstein" dolls I wanted them, but I didn't like the movie and felt weird about getting them. I got two of the Spinal Tap figures (before I saw the movie) when they were on clearance at Spencers. The first figure I bought for full price that I really wanted was the first Ash figure from "the Army of Darkness". After that I was in for any figure that looked cool, even if I didn't like or know of the character.

For me, I was searching on ebay for a good captain america figure and came across the Cap. PF...After that, it is all history....:D

From an ad for the Grievous PF on a movie site called The Digital Bits. It was the start of May 2005 about 3 weeks before the premier of ROTS. Clicked on the link saw the awesome statue. Thought about pre-ordering for about a week because of the $450+ pricetag and read more about the company and there ordering policy and shipping date's and finally said "^^^^ it". And now the exclusive is one of my favorite pieces in my collection.

I was on a James Bond site, don't know which one, and on the side they had a banner advertising for the Connery in Dr. No and I was so impressed with the head sculpt I clicked the banner.

I bought some of the original 7" Universal Monster figures from Toys R Us, and the occassional 1/6 figure from Suncoast. I didn't discover the website until late last year. And my wife wishes I hadn't! :computer

Crap. I have no idea how I learned about the toys/site... :(

if i remember correct it was 2,5 years ago when i bought from my retailer the Luke P.F. ( Dagobah ) ..and then i decided that i must follow ss Star Wars P.F. Line...

I went to a street fair in Canal Fulton, Ohio and walked into a specialty store called "Toys That Time Forgot", they had a ton of statues and I saw the Captain America Premium Format and was hooked, since then I have a serious addiction. That place is great, but my wife hates when I go there because I always come away 100's of dollars lighter in my pocket, say hello to Dan for me if you ever go . .....Mark

I got interested in collecting when the At Worlds End Jack came out . I was googleing photos of the figure and i came across this board and that led me onto the sideshow website. All by accident really, now im exposed to a world of collecting i never knew existed!

When I read at Rebelscum that SSC got the SW license I remember telling myself I would never pay $50 for a toy. I wanted to see how good their stuff really was so I bought a Connor MacLeod off ebay and realized they were the ones that made the Universal Monster figures I had bought as Christmas presents for my brother for the past couple years.
That was over 55 figures ago...

I knew them from the work they did with Weta. I never bought anything, but came kind of close with some of the weapons sets. Then they got the Star Wars license and I thought it would be cool to have a few jedi. I owned zero 1:6 figures. I had only been buying random gashapon dioramas and LOTR figures from Toywiz. I actually only owned 3 Hasbro Star Wars figures. It was very simple, and they have now completely screwed all of that up.

Their WWI figures first catches my attention, since no one in the market ever do such figures. From that I moved on to the HellBoy figures. Eventually I learned about Sideshow doing the 1/6 scale StarWars line from Rebelscum, and had followed them since then.

Last edited:
Back