How can I display my collection?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LJ you were right. I inquired at a local place for a 17inch x 13in x 7.5in case and the estimate was 98 bucks.

Can you take a pic of the bottom of the shelf? I don't get what you use to keep it from sliding even though you did describe it. I'm a doofus :lol

LJ you were right. I inquired at a local place for a 17inch x 13in x 7.5in case and the estimate was 98 bucks.

Can you take a pic of the bottom of the shelf? I don't get what you use to keep it from sliding even though you did describe it. I'm a doofus :lol

The underside of the shelf is just a plain, flat white surface, so nothing to see there :) What keeps the shelf from sliding sideways are the two lengths of square dowel double-sided-taped to the very ends of the shelf (you can just make them out in the pic, they're painted white) - and also the bracket at centre-top, which also has velcro on it to fasten the box to the bracket.

...I forgot to include a pic of the bracket:

F16-3092.jpg

Thanks for the reply. I can't see the dowel so I'm clueless to how you have that going on :lol

I'd like to find a different way to support it since the bracket kinda stands out to me, but these people are trying to upsell me on an entire wall mounted, hanging case that runs 300 bucks :monkey4

Thanks for the reply. I can't see the dowel so I'm clueless to how you have that going on :lol

I'd like to find a different way to support it since the bracket kinda stands out to me, but these people are trying to upsell me on an entire wall mounted, hanging case that runs 300 bucks :monkey4

I"m not at home right now, but I'll get a hand-drawn pic of it going on and post it in a tick. What else have I got to do at work :lol

I"m not at home right now, but I'll get a hand-drawn pic of it going on and post it in a tick. What else have I got to do at work :lol

:yess: Thanks LJ, sorry to be a pain in the butt but your solution is perfect for my dilemma and I don't want to muck it up on the first go around :D

:yess: Thanks LJ, sorry to be a pain in the butt but your solution is perfect for my dilemma and I don't want to muck it up on the first go around :D

No pain mate, always happy to goof off on the job. I've been flat out at work lately and it's nice to have a distraction :)

...this might make it clearer:

Display_Shelf_Box.jpg

..oh yeah, the lengths of square dowel are taped slightly inset from the edges of the shelf to allow the box to sit neatly and flush with the shelf

No pain mate, always happy to goof off on the job. I've been flat out at work lately and it's nice to have a distraction :)

...this might make it clearer:

Display_Shelf_Box.jpg

..oh yeah, the lengths of square dowel are taped slightly inset from the edges of the shelf to allow the box to sit neatly and flush with the shelf

Excellent drawing thank you :clap

Any ideas for something other than the bracket up top?

Excellent drawing thank you :clap

Any ideas for something other than the bracket up top?

Truthfully you don't need it to keep it in place, as the square dowel does a good job of that. I have another one of these that doesn't have a bracket, and I went with one here mainly to prevent the box from bowing. I had considered beading, like another length of square dowel mounted horizontally to the wall - or a smaller bracket would do the job and be less visibly intrusive. I used that bracket just 'cause I had it to hand.

Truthfully you don't need it to keep it in place, as the square dowel does a good job of that. I have another one of these that doesn't have a bracket, and I went with one here mainly to prevent the box from bowing. I had considered beading, like another length of square dowel mounted horizontally to the wall - or a smaller bracket would do the job and be less visibly intrusive. I used that bracket just 'cause I had it to hand.

Oh good to hear. Even a 2 or 3 inch dowel there might be an idea, just to have it sit on. What do you think?

Those shelfs are sweet. I may have to look into something like that.

I wonder if they make clear brackets that are worth a damn :lol

Yep, you could do this as well. If you'd be going to the trouble to visit the plastics store for a custom box, they'd be happy to do up a simple bracket for you - they'd do it out of offcuts, so long as you don't require any holes drilled etc. Let double-sided tape and velcro do the job of fastening bracket to wall and bracket to box :)

Yep, you could do this as well. If you'd be going to the trouble to visit the plastics store for a custom box, they'd be happy to do up a simple bracket for you - they'd do it out of offcuts, so long as you don't require any holes drilled etc. Let double-sided tape and velcro do the job of fastening bracket to wall and bracket to box :)

Hmm, so then you would just see a floating piece of 2 sided tape :lol :slap

You could always do a full cover and do a dowel in the back to hold case up against the wall.

Or better yet get mirror back ones.

You could always do a full cover and do a dowel in the back to hold case up against the wall.

Or better yet get mirror back ones.

A mirror in the back would be awesome :)

...though I couldn't make it a part of the box in my situation. It wouldn't allow another shelf to be positioned immediately above it as the box would then need to be lifted up instead of just towards you. When the Q3/Q4 batch comes in I'll have to make another shelf, and I'm a bit stuck for wall space so I have little choice but to 'stack' the shelves on top of each other.

Custom mirror LJ 1/8 inch thick they are dirt cheap

Not only will I be able to see the cool details on the backs of figures like MK IV etc, I'll look like I have twice as many figures and the chicks will go wild!!!

Since I want to stick with 4-sided boxes, I can just affix the mirror to the wall. That sounds so crazy it just might work :)

Not only will I be able to see the cool details on the backs of figures like MK IV etc, I'll look like I have twice as many figures and the chicks will go wild!!!

Since I want to stick with 4-sided boxes, I can just affix the mirror to the wall. That sounds so crazy it just might work :)

It's exactly what I've done for my entertainment center. I didn't feel like dropping 2 grand on a new one so I just ordered custom mirrors from a local glass shop and using 2 sided heavy duty tape and pasting them up :D

The biggest 1 was about 27 in x 20 in and cost under 20 bucks :rock

Which reminds me I have to pick 1 up tomorrow for my tron display :lecture

Back