1/6 Hot Toys Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never read the comics. Watched the film, and as you wrote it was beautiful to look at.

As a story, however, it was confusing to begin with as they drop you in medias res. The background at the beginning was cursory to the action when it begins. The Fifth Element Easter eggs were neat, especially the big one near the beginning.

I'd have bought the Cara figure, regardless of the film or the comic, just as a 'generic space girl'.

With little chance of seeing her now, I settled for VeryCool's Villa.

That was my impression pretty much as well with the movie. I too never read the comics.

Never read the comics but I think the movie is OK... in 3D ONLY. It's the way this was meant to be seen (I got HK disk BTW). Who knows why 3D release was strictly limited to few regions. It goes from 5/10 to 7/10 easily IMO.
Otherwise, Valerian was a huge miscast as he failed to convince audiences as a super soldier but Laureline is OK, at least by the look. :wink1:

I don't believe they usually let us know if something is cancelled. They just never put them up for preorder.

No no. They're happening. They're just queued up behind Batmobil 66, BVS batmobil, Delorean from BTTF pt. 2, Lone Ranger and Prometheus. Tomorrow land is not happening and nobody cares.

Highly doubtful these will happen now, but I really wish Hot Toys would just give us confirmation of figure cancellations, especially after seeing two prototypes. Their communication blows.

Valerian was an absolutely gorgeous movie. I recently watched it in 4K in our home theater, and it looked phenomenal. The color palette is eye-popping, the alien are fantastic and wildly imaginative (although some of the CGI creatures did devolve into the cartoony), the costumes are beautiful, and the environments are spectacular. However the casting of Dane Dehaan was absolutely abysmal. Cara Delevingne wasn't any great shakes either, but she was at least passable. Dehaan is a fine actor, but was completely unbelievable in the role. I just cannot believe that Besson or everyone else watching the daily footage coming back could not see how terrible a choice this was. Heck, Steven Spielberg pulled Erick Stoltz with Michael J. Fox on Back to the Future after filming for more than a month. I don't know if a casting change would have saved it because the script was pretty weak, but virtually every review I read singled out Dehaan. I think if they had cast a charismatic lead who could have brought a mix of roguish humor, sex appeal and action hero physicality, and made some story tweaks here and there to make the plot more coherent, the movie would have at least gotten to Fifth Element guilty pleasure cult status and possibly spawned a sequel or two.

I would be floored if HT produces these figures.

What are the chances Valerian makes it to pre-order? He’s still up for RSVP... I mean it’s been over a year. What’s the longest a figure has taken since being previewed?

Back