Hot Toys The Spirit Silken floss spec and hi-res pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I remember rightly, it's not just Germany that has banned the sale of Nazi paraphernalia (which - if you take a very extreme view - a figure dressed in Nazi uniform with Nazi insignia could be construed to be), there are a couple of other countries in there as well. And if a company that wants to provide entertainment-based collectibles to as wide an audience as possible, I think it's valid to leave off the swastika, if including it will get the import of your product banned or cause problems for your customers.

Whether it's being over-sensitive or not I'm not going to comment on it - I'm not German, it's really not something I can speak to with any authority. But I can understand why, from such a tragic period of their history, they would want to legislate against anyone trying to glorify it. And if, in banning the display of insignia by those who want to promote Nazi ideology they are also potentially legislating against a couple of toys, I really don't see a problem.

With that part I agree. But I don't think this or any of the other figures I've seen have tried to "glorify it." Even Did's recent T. Becker figure clearly states they are not trying to glorify the nazis, but provide the figure for historical purposes. I think most collectors agree they aren't buying the figure to glorify nazis, but to either have them in a historical set up or for a fictional character like the Red Skull (which I am currently doing my self by the way) ,Kroenen, or Silken Floss here.

Now I understand it is a fine line between glorifying and making it for historical purposes. But it really comes down to why and who bought the figure. If you bought it to put in your Nazi shrine, that yeah, that would be wrong. But if it is for a historical diorama, or a custom that just uses the nazi uniform, then that is OK I think.

But I still think she shouldn't be censored just because some places have banned nazi memorabilia. Certain guns are banned in certain areas, but you don't see gun makers not make certain guns because they aren't legal everywhere. I imagine it is only a very small number of their customers that are in these banned areas, unless some Asian countries are one of those areas. As much as we like to think we are HT's biggest customers, I still think they are more popular in Asia than in the States.

With that part I agree. But I don't think this or any of the other figures I've seen have tried to "glorify it." Even Did's recent T. Becker figure clearly states they are not trying to glorify the nazis, but provide the figure for historical purposes. I think most collectors agree they aren't buying the figure to glorify nazis, but to either have them in a historical set up or for a fictional character like the Red Skull (which I am currently doing my self by the way) ,Kroenen, or Silken Floss here.

Now I understand it is a fine line between glorifying and making it for historical purposes. But it really comes down to why and who bought the figure. If you bought it to put in your Nazi shrine, that yeah, that would be wrong. But if it is for a historical diorama, or a custom that just uses the nazi uniform, then that is OK I think.

But I still think she shouldn't be censored just because some places have banned nazi memorabilia. Certain guns are banned in certain areas, but you don't see gun makers not make certain guns because they aren't legal everywhere. I imagine it is only a very small number of their customers that are in these banned areas, unless some Asian countries are one of those areas. As much as we like to think we are HT's biggest customers, I still think they are more popular in Asia than in the States.

I agree with all of that - I was actually suggesting more that toys with the insignia may be an unfortunate casualty of a wider ban. I guess my point was that if such a ban provides the opportunity to prosecute those who would glorify the Nazis, I'm ok with it restricting somebody's toy. Still, as you say, that would almost certainly apply only to a small portion of Hot Toys market, so it is perhaps not a vaild argument, although it could be that they are just being cautious in the event that selling a figure with a swastika could create long-term problems/prohibition on import for all of their products...I really don't know. There's also the chance that it's a restriction that the licensor/actress/studio/etc has imposed - it's times like these that I really wish a behind-the-scenes look was available at all the negotiations etc that have to go on as part of the production and approval process!

If I'm not mistaken, the armbands for the couple of D.I.D. soldiers I have bought were both sort of "hidden" in the package, I guess so as to not call attention to them. Maybe HT will do that. I'd love to have that figure for bashes, but I would just want a nude, not the uniform. May have to buy it and sell the clothes.

I think it is funny that did includes uncenosred swastikas with their figures, but on some of the pictures on the box showing how to put the pins on, they are censored out! :lol

Back