Hot Toys: The Mandalorian The Child Life-Size Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let's be real here people - Legacy were involved every step of the way... saying SSC dropped the ball on manufacturing is a bit embarrassing (even if there are some with excess pink), the sculpt has still be made by the guys that make the real thing and in no way does excess pink (that can be easily rectified) change the 100% accurate sculpt.

HT, as much as I love them, haven't come close to the screen accuracy.

The video below says it all...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hNCFWC_ki4

Let's be real here people - Legacy were involved every step of the way... saying SSC dropped the ball on manufacturing is a bit embarrassing (even if there are some with excess pink), the sculpt has still be made by the guys that make the real thing and in no way does excess pink (that can be easily rectified) change the 100% accurate sculpt.

HT, as much as I love them, haven't come close to the screen accuracy.

The video below says it all...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hNCFWC_ki4

Let's be real here, if you looked at the production and the proto side by side whatever a great job legacy did Sideshow managed to **** it up as usual. Look it's a good deal, even with the massively inferior production vs proto paint job I will get it. However even if you take away the paint they did a real **** job casting this guy. A LOT of the detail was thinned out. Like you can barely make out the wrinkles in his eyelids, a lot of the face detail is smoothed out on top of a poor paint job taking those details out. Not to mention something is definetely different from the proto with the overall eye socket. You cannot seriously compare these two pictures and be like "yup other then the paint that's exactly the same sculpt with all the same definition""

the-child_star-wars_gallery_5f8ded6dedd14.jpg

the-child_star-wars_gallery_5e3204c1cf6f9.jpg

Also don't ask me why the production picture is a little flattened, it's from Sideshow's site on the product page...

There is a very easily seen drop in quality in not just the paint but the sculpt for the child. They did a REALLY **** job casting it, they probably cheaped out and made as few molds as possible and just reused the **** out of them. I know some definition loss is going to happen and sideshow historically is the worst at it but this is some of the worst I've seen from them. There is also some resculpting going on, there is definitely some new wrinkles on the side of the eye which do not look that great and weren't on the legacy proto and the eye socket changes are not a simple definition loss from casting. If SS' was more expensive it'd be an easy pass for me cause it's a below-average effort for what should be a high end collectible. If the hot toys didn't have the ear seams I'd be more on board since they actually do a decent job in production usually. The HT proto sculpt IMO is softer on the detailsthe then the legacy prototype, but sharper then SS' production. Also legacy wasn't with them every step of the way, they made the prototype for them and handed it off and that's it. It's not the first time SS has had a piece done by an effects shop, nor is the first time SS cocked up their production replicating it either.

Let's be real here, if you looked at the production and the proto side by side whatever a great job legacy did Sideshow managed to **** it up as usual. Look it's a good deal, even with the massively inferior production vs proto paint job I will get it. However even if you take away the paint they did a real **** job casting this guy. A LOT of the detail was thinned out. Like you can barely make out the wrinkles in his eyelids, a lot of the face detail is smoothed out on top of a poor paint job taking those details out. Not to mention something is definetely different from the proto with the overall eye socket. You cannot seriously compare these two pictures and be like "yup other then the paint that's exactly the same sculpt with all the same definition""

the-child_star-wars_gallery_5f8ded6dedd14.jpg

the-child_star-wars_gallery_5e3204c1cf6f9.jpg

Also don't ask me why the production picture is a little flattened, it's from Sideshow's site on the product page...

There is a very easily seen drop in quality in not just the paint but the sculpt for the child. They did a REALLY **** job casting it, they probably cheaped out and made as few molds as possible and just reused the **** out of them. I know some definition loss is going to happen and sideshow historically is the worst at it but this is some of the worst I've seen from them. There is also some resculpting going on, there is definitely some new wrinkles on the side of the eye which do not look that great and weren't on the legacy proto and the eye socket changes are not a simple definition loss from casting. If SS' was more expensive it'd be an easy pass for me cause it's a below-average effort for what should be a high end collectible. If the hot toys didn't have the ear seams I'd be more on board since they actually do a decent job in production usually. The HT proto sculpt IMO is softer on the detailsthe then the legacy prototype, but sharper then SS' production. Also legacy wasn't with them every step of the way, they made the prototype for them and handed it off and that's it. It's not the first time SS has had a piece done by an effects shop, nor is the first time SS cocked up their production replicating it either.

The final product photos that Sideshow used on their website are terrible, photos of it in hand from other people here, on Facebook and in Youtube videos show that it looks amazing. The final production piece still looks miles better than HT prototype in terms of likeness and realism, as well as the expression.

The final product photos that Sideshow used on their website are terrible, photos of it in hand from other people here, on Facebook and in Youtube videos show that it looks amazing. The final production piece still looks miles better than HT prototype in terms of likeness and realism, as well as the expression.

I definitely agree.

I've seen it and I think it looks fine for the price, but it is certainly not as good as the legacy sculpt originally. I would prefer the HT without the seams.

I pre-ordered the Hot Toys figure because I want to be able to pose it. If I wanted a statue I'd get the Sideshow. Both products have pros and cons, but they both look great.

Yeah, for the money Hot Toys is charging, I'm not digging the visible seams around the ears... it detracts a lot from the "realism".

For Hot Toys prices, they could've included a second head sculpt... or offer two seamless versions and let customers choose what expression they want. Anything but those unsightly seams....

I pre-ordered the Hot Toys figure because I want to be able to pose it. If I wanted a statue I'd get the Sideshow. Both products have pros and cons, but they both look great.

Norman Osborne stepping in as the voice of reason...2020 everybody! :)

ps. I completely agree and I went the opposite approach. I liked the pose on the Sideshow version fine and didn't care for the ear seams on the HT. But as you said, both have their pros and cons and I may still get the HT once I see in-hand photos.

Now that I have the Sideshow statue in hand, the HT just looks even more toy-like to me in comparison. Although the one area that HT did do better with is the paint job, as it appears much more layered and complex than the simplistic one Sideshow did. Plus I just like the basic shade of green they used better.

Exactly subzro, I think I?m one of the few people on here looking forward to receiving my Child!

Great pics. The mismatched thigh plate looks great in the show but for some reason, I don't think it really works on the figure. Wrong thread tho :lol

I am really digging the plastic fx pieces that they are including now in the sets...the jet-pack thrusters and forearm fireball look great in these shots...cannot wait for this one!!!

Back