Hot Toys: The Dark Knight: 1/4 The Joker

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It think it's safe to say we see it differently :lol For me, I see the half flesh tone sculpt and see Ledger, no question. So for me, the paint isn't masking anything. You don't see the same and, well, fortunately for me, that's not my problem. And yes I agree that it's nice that Adam's looks like Ledger as well, but it's missing any emotion or character that Heath put into the Joker. So it's still a fail in my book.

With all that said, I will say that I COMPLETELY understand your position about Yulli and this character. I feel the same way about Kojun and Jack Sparrow. No one usually agrees with me but that's fine. I buy it and modify as I see fit. And maybe that's another reason I don't get so muffed about these things. I may not be the greatest painter, but I'm not too shy to same that I'm talented enough to "fix" or improve upon certain things myself such as the MoS and BvS Superman figures for example. I've been modding figures since Sideshow started the 1/6 LOTR line so alot of things don't bother me. If I see something wrong I can usually fix it to my liking. I understand some ppl don't have that and/or don't feel that they should have to.

But I think you as well as anyone else can agree, there's always room for improvement. I by no means think this is the end all be all Joker sculpt. I don't think there will ever be one. look how many custom ones have been produced over the years...every single one is usually the next big thing and arguably even better than the last. I honestly think it's a matter of everyone finding one that they are individually satisfied with and that can/probably is the BR Joker sculpt for some. Others it might be the DX01, or the Cop sculpt and so on and so forth. Hypothetically speaking, if you absolutely loved this sculpt you'd probably think other's were crazy for bashing it

I know Adam can capture an expression :wink1: What I was getting at was that the one time he's given the opportunity to do an officially licensed one, he chooses not to. Granted, that could've also been a P1 requirement and he had no choice in the matter. I admit that I don't know that info.

Complaints on the original BB were both the cowl and the mouth areas. The TF EX version was the one with the QC issues and dry looking suit where as the BB suit that was released under the TDK banner stayed nice and semi-shiney.

At the end of the day we all see things differently, and as nuts as it can get, it's part of what makes this community...unique :lol Everyone can say what they want within reason and express themselves. I like it as is and will be happy purchasing it. If others don't well that sucks for them and maybe in another few years there will be a 2.0 and it may be better. Sometimes all the complaints roll out a better product or at least we think it does :lol and that's cool too. However it has backfired in the passed before :lol anyway, I'm done with this conversation and will go back to enjoying the official pics :)

Personally? It isn't just the Yulli thing. It's that HT thinks they deserve a pat on the back for finally doing a 1/4 scale Joker when it's a step backward in literally every way. The DX 01 included two heads and two outfits, one with moveable eyes, the DX 11 came with two heads creating two distinctive looks, one with PERS, and a table and chair, the QS 001 came with two heads, moveable eyes, interchangeable faces and every single accessory, gadget, or weapon that Batman used with that suit in The Dark Knight Trilogy, even though it was technically only a "Dark Knight Rises" figure. The QS 009 includes two sculpts, a harness to create two distinctive looks, interchangeable faces, and every accessory Batman used in the Batman Begins suit.

This thing comes with the grenade rig, a mask that people already got with the TDKR Batman, 4 guns, only one of his knives, his pencil, and a pipe, and, technically speaking, only one sculpt (and inaccurate socks :lol). One that doesn't even look all that much like Ledger, as we've seen from multiple parties (not even just the most vocal among us). I don't know if you remember, but I was on your side of the fence with the DX 11. I knew that the sculpts weren't perfect, but, at least, they were trying something different with some expressive looks that, in tandem with the paintwork and other areas of the package, like the sheer massive number of accessories and the fact that it only had a $275 price tag made those forgiveable.

I'm not an idiot. I know we were never going to see a 1/4 Scale table or multiple outfits, but why is it that one head of the two is an exclusive that never appeared on screen? Why is it that they clearly are trying to evoke the mob scene with this figure yet couldn't give him his toothy grin that he consistently flashed throughout the scene? Hell, why is it that they couldn't give him a chair or the bench in the jail cell to sit on along with an interrogation sculpt (which, as evidenced by their stupid ass dual headsculpt, they're entirely capable of creating)?

Why? Because they don't have to. Because people are content to ride Howard's **** just because it's Ledger Joker, it's 1/4 scale, and it's Hot Toys. Honestly? Even if they fix the sculpt? I still don't even know that I'd be *that* excited about it, because, between the stupid creative decisions, the relatively barebones release that this figure is, and the fact that this thing is going to come with an accompanying, overinflated price tag (considering the current PO price overseas is what? $50 more than the Begins figure, which puts it to shame in terms of likeness, accessories, and, pretty much everything, really, and that still isn't even considering the added "Sideshow tax" once it goes up for order to US markets.

It isn't just that the sculpts are mediocre. It isn't just that it's a barebones figure. It's that this is an iconic character from an iconic film and one that, frankly, doesn't deserve to be treated this way. When the QS 001 went up, I was like a goddamn kid at Christmas. Even with his weird ass faceplates and great big google moogly eyes and the assorted inaccuracies on the suit, I was so caught up in how overwhelming it was that they had packed this thing with, literally, everything and the kitchen sink, that I got hyped, and then, when everyone pointed out the room for improvement and they listened and delivered, probably, the definitive TDK Batman in any scale? That was a special release; they knew what it could be and they made sure that it was.

It's just disappointing that this is their Quarter Scale Joker. While it's awesome that I can get the pair of Begins and TDK Batman and have a definitive Nolan Batman display, it's still pretty damn sucky that the most iconic villain in the series, and, frankly, one of the most iconic villains in film history doesn't get that same treatment.

I love this and the half face sculpt is really something special- the likeness/Ledger debate will never end on ANY of the HT Joker figures...

I love this and the half face sculpt is really something special- the likeness/Ledger debate will never end on ANY of the HT Joker figures...

Not as long as they keep Yulli on as their resident Ledger sculptor, which, apparently, is ****ing forever.

Anyone get the Vibe that sideshow is gonna piss off many with a huge price above the HK price? There seems to be a trend lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally? It isn't just the Yulli thing. It's that HT thinks they deserve a pat on the back for finally doing a 1/4 scale Joker when it's a step backward in literally every way. The DX 01 included two heads and two outfits, one with moveable eyes, the DX 11 came with two heads creating two distinctive looks, one with PERS, and a table and chair, the QS 001 came with two heads, moveable eyes, interchangeable faces and every single accessory, gadget, or weapon that Batman used with that suit in The Dark Knight Trilogy, even though it was technically only a "Dark Knight Rises" figure. The QS 009 includes two sculpts, a harness to create two distinctive looks, interchangeable faces, and every accessory Batman used in the Batman Begins suit.

This thing comes with the grenade rig, a mask that people already got with the TDKR Batman, 4 guns, only one of his knives, his pencil, and a pipe, and, technically speaking, only one sculpt (and inaccurate socks :lol). One that doesn't even look all that much like Ledger, as we've seen from multiple parties (not even just the most vocal among us). I don't know if you remember, but I was on your side of the fence with the DX 11. I knew that the sculpts weren't perfect, but, at least, they were trying something different with some expressive looks that, in tandem with the paintwork and other areas of the package, like the sheer massive number of accessories and the fact that it only had a $275 price tag made those forgiveable.

I'm not an idiot. I know we were never going to see a 1/4 Scale table or multiple outfits, but why is it that one head of the two is an exclusive that never appeared on screen? Why is it that they clearly are trying to evoke the mob scene with this figure yet couldn't give him his toothy grin that he consistently flashed throughout the scene? Hell, why is it that they couldn't give him a chair or the bench in the jail cell to sit on along with an interrogation sculpt (which, as evidenced by their stupid ass dual headsculpt, they're entirely capable of creating)?

Why? Because they don't have to. Because people are content to ride Howard's **** just because it's Ledger Joker, it's 1/4 scale, and it's Hot Toys. Honestly? Even if they fix the sculpt? I still don't even know that I'd be *that* excited about it, because, between the stupid creative decisions, the relatively barebones release that this figure is, and the fact that this thing is going to come with an accompanying, overinflated price tag (considering the current PO price overseas is what? $50 more than the Begins figure, which puts it to shame in terms of likeness, accessories, and, pretty much everything, really, and that still isn't even considering the added "Sideshow tax" once it goes up for order to US markets.

It isn't just that the sculpts are mediocre. It isn't just that it's a barebones figure. It's that this is an iconic character from an iconic film and one that, frankly, doesn't deserve to be treated this way. When the QS 001 went up, I was like a goddamn kid at Christmas. Even with his weird ass faceplates and great big google moogly eyes and the assorted inaccuracies on the suit, I was so caught up in how overwhelming it was that they had packed this thing with, literally, everything and the kitchen sink, that I got hyped, and then, when everyone pointed out the room for improvement and they listened and delivered, probably, the definitive TDK Batman in any scale? That was a special release; they knew what it could be and they made sure that it was.

It's just disappointing that this is their Quarter Scale Joker. While it's awesome that I can get the pair of Begins and TDK Batman and have a definitive Nolan Batman display, it's still pretty damn sucky that the most iconic villain in the series, and, frankly, one of the most iconic villains in film history doesn't get that same treatment.

How is it a barebones figure? He's stacked with accessories and an extra sculpt, that's more than we usually get from Hot Toys.

Anyone get the Vibe that sideshow is gonna piss off many with a huge price above the HK price? There seems to be a trend lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prices are up in SS for Thor, Hulk and MK II. Extra $70 roughly each. This will be over $500.

How is it a barebones figure? He's stacked with accessories and an extra sculpt, that's more than we usually get from Hot Toys.

He's not stacked with an extra sculpt. He's stacked with some weird "artistic" interpretation of Heath Ledger as The Joker as an exclusive item. As for the accessories, considering what they're going to be charging for him, and considering how comprehensive their two Batman releases have been, I should not have to be like "where's his pool cue, his switch blade, his potato peeler, his RPG, or, for that matter, since they are taking promo pics of him in an interrogation room setting, even though he clearly isn't meant to be an interrogation room Joker, his handcuffs?"

Simply put, this figure should have come with two sculpts of the character, full stop, and, if they wanted to do their artistic tribute as a third exclusive item, that's their prerogative.

As much as I'd like two sculpts... I never use the interchangeable stuff from my other figures, and I always feel bad for not using it. I guess that doesn't matter much to me, it's bad enough choosing all the different poses.

I think there will be improvement for definite... but in the meantime, I'm not missing a chance to have Heath's Joker!

Attachments

• -Hit-me-the-joker-25556249-1280-854.jpg
    -Hit-me-the-joker-25556249-1280-854.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 282
Am I missing something here? Why are some members convinced this automatically comes with 2 head sculpts?

In theory.. YES, the "SPECIAL EDITION" does come with it, and the "NORMAL" version does not. Have fun fighting for the inflated prices on that one.

So... for most of you, you will in fact be getting 1 sculpt. Batfan08 is right, for the price they are charging is not really worth it. However as can be seen, people are just as happy to have any 1/4 Joker. The sculpt could be even slightly worse with slightly less accessories and people would be just as happy as they currently are.

I'll prolly try going for the exclusive version if it isn't more money and sell the extra head on ebay, depending on how it looks in-hand.

Something like that?

joker14-c3.png

Yeah maybe a tad bit smaller, want the shape to remain the same.

I think the biggest problem is the eyes are too far apart.

tUtf6OY.gif

tT14NwL.jpg

The EB sculpt has the exact opposite issue as the eyes are too close together on their sculpt, go figure.

:goodpost:

To answer one of your questions.

The reason why they are showing one side of the head without make up, is because they are trying to prove that the sculpt looks like Ledger, because many just don't see the likeness with the makeup. This really means nothing, even the cop Joker sculpt has some likeness to Ledger but it's no where near dead on. Also Adam's sculpts can be painted like crap and still look like Ledger, because the likeness is that good it shrines through the make up. Ironically showing it without make up just means that the head sculpt is not good enough for the likeness of Ledger to shrine through the make up.

Not as long as they keep Yulli on as their resident Ledger sculptor, which, apparently, is ****ing forever.

Sadly yes. :(

I wish HT would get the message that we are so sick of Yulli sculpting Ledger, I honestly don't get why keep allowing her to sculpt him. She couldn't sculpt Bale after numerous attempts, so they got Kojun to take over and look at the dam difference!

Show this to hot toys so they'd make the changes

Oh do you really think they care? There needs to be a following for them to make changes and going by the general consensus on facebook groups like OSR, the sculpt is perfect its just the hair that's throwing off the likeness. That honestly has to be one of the stupidest comments I have ever read, Adam's sculpt could be bald and it would still look like Ledger.

Last edited:
Wow. The stock sculpt looks even weirder after seeing USRW's edit.

Someone pls show to Hot Toys.

520 EUR for this one here in Europe. I don't know yet if I going to spend that kind of money on this one. It is a grail piece for sure but I don't have anything 1/4 scale...

520 EUR for this one here in Europe. I don't know yet if I going to spend that kind of money on this one. It is a grail piece for sure but I don't have anything 1/4 scale...

I jumped into 1/4 with the Neca turtles and they look amazing in my collection. This will too.

Back