Hot Toys TDKR: 1/4th scale Batman [QS001] - Full Reveal & Specs

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that truly his beef? he's been bitter for god knows how long.

Thank you!! This supposed "hatred" he has for this TOY is bordering on legendary status that its almost feels like...an act.

I can't fathom a single person out there hating on someone, let alone an action figure for so long! I mean, I've read stories where families forgave the murderer of their loved ones. So I'm not buying this....act of his. It's impossible. Inconceivable. So there MUST be an agenda behind his words.

....perhaps he was bullied by someone with the name David Xavier the 12th?

Shape does change greatly in lighting and head position.

How can a 3D object appear to look like a different shape due to different lighting? :confused:

You see it more in Rises. The head can be quite wide then some other scenes out of the Bat "so thats what that feels like" and a few others it's relatively thin because there's no pressure on the cowl.

What has pressure got to do with lighting? :huh

How can a 3D object appear to look like a different shape due to different lighting? :confused:

When a Camera takes a picture it has to translate the 3D image into 2D causing some of the image to be lost or altered in the translation. Lighting also affects this. You know how the camera adds ten pounds? :D I can see how the cowl looks different in some of the pictures with different lighting.

Guess we'll have to wait to see it in person!

It's 3d in our realm. Real life. But he's talking about film or pictures when the object is 2d. You need to take into consideration with cameras. Unlike humans, we have two eyes, depth of field. With cameras, we lose that because of a single lens. The point I'm trying to make is, lighting is indeed a huge factor in how something looks, INCLUDING camera angles, distance. If lighting weren't important, then films would be finished a lot faster because no one is worrying about how to light a scene. But lighting can alter how the object appears on screen or pictures.

What has pressure got to do with lighting? :huh[/quote]

Pressure as in the way his head is angled. If he's looking straight on, the cowl will be unaffected. If he's looking up, the back of his neck protector (collar) will push against the back the cowl therefore altering the shape of the cowl. Which again, lighting comes into play. To lessen the slight alterations to the cowl via the way bales head is tilted, lighting will do it's best to make the cowl appear solid, rather than silicone/rubber.

When a Camera takes a picture it has to translate the 3D image into 2D causing some of the image to be lost or altered in the translation. Lighting also affects this.

Guess we'll have to wait to see it in person!

Ok lets say the camera is not there, and one object is in one light setting and another of the same object is in another light setting. How does the lighting change the shape of the object then? I can understand it could change the appearance if shadows were cast over it making but it appear different or even thinner. However, if you can see the total shape of the cowl in both lighting conditions I can't see how lighting could change the shape.

Pressure as in the way his head is angled. If he's looking straight on, the cowl will be unaffected. If he's looking up, the back of his neck protector (collar) will push against the back the cowl therefore altering the shape of the cowl. Which again, lighting comes into play. To lessen the slight alterations to the cowl via the way bales head is tilted, lighting will do it's best to make the cowl appear solid, rather than silicone/rubber.

Exactly.

What happens when you put your chin to your chest? your neck thickens up. So does the skin around your jaw bone. The cowl is just rubber after all.

batsuit.jpg

the-dark-knight-rises-batman-1.jpg

Ok lets say the camera is not there, and one object is in one light setting and another of the same object is in another light setting. How does the lighting change the shape of the object then? I can understand it could change the appearance if shadows were cast over it making but it appear different or even thinner. However, if you can see the total shape of the cowl in both lighting conditions I can't see how lighting could change the shape.

I think that's where you'll need to ask a professional photographer or cinematographer. I know for a fact that actors can look different due to lighting as well as camera lens. Lets use bale for instance, in TDK, there were a few scenes where he looked really gaunt, thin. But then in others, he'd look healthier, fuller face.

It's weird man, I don't really know the technicalities of it all and I'm sure someone else can explain it better, but I was a film student and have experienced lighting and camera issues when filming an object. It happens. You'd think that in films, the actors are the most important....nope. The cinematographer basically paints the scene and makes the actors look good.

Last edited:
It's 3d in our realm. Real life. But he's talking about film or pictures when the object is 2d. You need to take into consideration with cameras. Unlike humans, we have two eyes, depth of field. With cameras, we lose that because of a single lens. The point I'm trying to make is, lighting is indeed a huge factor in how something looks, INCLUDING camera angles, distance. If lighting weren't important, then films would be finished a lot faster because no one is worrying about how to light a scene. But lighting can alter how the object appears on screen or pictures.

Ok fair enough, I got it now.

Ok makes sense.

Exactly.

What happens when you put your chin to your chest? your neck thickens up. So does the skin around your jaw bone. The cowl is just rubber after all.

batsuit.jpg

the-dark-knight-rises-batman-1.jpg

Yeah I just didn't get what you meant exactly but of course if you squash the cowl that will create shadows making it look more different.

I think that's where you'll need to ask a professional photographer or cinematographer. I know for a fact that actors can look different due to lighting as well as camera lens. Lets use bale for instance, in TDK, there were a few scenes where he looked really gaunt, thin. But then in others, he'd look healthier, fuller face.

It's weird man, I don't really know the technicalities of it all and I'm sure someone else can explain it better, but I was a film student and worked with lighting and camera issues when filming the object.

Ok well looks like I have learnt something, thanks for the the crash course in photography. :lol

:hi5:

Nah dude...even with competitors, there's a mutual, unspoken respect.

There's more to it.

Like Dom Cobb...we need to go deeper.

Some things in this world is best left unknown.

Yeah I just didn't get what you meant exactly but of course if you squash the cowl that will create shadows making it look more different.

That and your skin pushes out the sides of the rubber as your skin expands into it.

Nah dude...even with competitors, there's a mutual, unspoken respect.

There's more to it.

Like Dom Cobb...we need to go deeper.

What I would like to know is there anything he likes about the DX12? Surely he can't hate the whole figure in every way?

Yeah that's true I guess.

I think the cowl is actually pretty darn accurate, but what throws it off & makes it look weird is the skinny neck & the flat upper shoulders/ traps area. The pic above shows it perfectly....the wider neck of Bale' suit meets up with the traps that slope down to the shoulders. On the figure, it's the too skinny neck popping right into the flat traps....makes the head shape look like a light bulb. ;)

Couldn't tell you really. It's just how our eyes perceive the object.

What I would like to know is there anything he likes about the DX12? Surely he can't hate the whole figure in every way?

No way, I'm convinced he loves the dx12. He's played us like a banjo and has us thinking that his fiction is fact. It's like tupac, he got the world to believe he is dead....

I mean....come on.

Come on.

Mastermind.

No way, I'm convinced he loves the dx12. He's played us like a banjo and has us thinking that his fiction is fact.

Ahh I don't know, every chance he gets he puts it down. I think he is pissed off because the figure didn't live up to his expectations IMO. :dunno

It's like tupac, he got the world to believe he is dead....

I mean....come on.

Come on.

Mastermind.

Well that would explain why he keeps releasing new songs. :rolleyes2

Can you be more specific, what way do they look different in lighting? Do you mean in shape or something else?

Shape does change greatly in lighting and head position. You see it more in Rises. The head can be quite wide then some other scenes out of the Bat "so thats what that feels like" and a few others it's relatively thin because there's no pressure on the cowl.

This.

Batman's cowl in his sewer fight with Bane, looks very different in comparison to when it is fully lit by natural daylight in the final battle.

It can look thinner and wider due to the shadows it casts on it self. The eye sockets look completely different.

In The Dark Knight, at the end when Two-Face is dead on the floor and Batman and Gordon are talking and Batman says "but the Joker cannot win" - the way the light falls on the side of the cowl makes the ear look HUGE - makes it look a lot longer than it really is.

This.

Batman's cowl in his sewer fight with Bane, looks very different in comparison to when it is fully lit by natural daylight in the final battle.

It can look thinner and wider due to the shadows it casts on it self. The eye sockets look completely different.

In The Dark Knight, at the end when Two-Face is dead on the floor and Batman and Gordon are talking and Batman says "but the Joker cannot win" - the way the light falls on the side of the cowl makes the ear look HUGE - makes it look a lot longer than it really is.

AND LENSES, DUDES.

Different camera lenses are used for different distances.

Batman in close up was almost always shot by Pfister with a wider lens...slims the neck and the width of the cowl but bumps up the size of the nose a touch.

Look at that close up where he says "Bane", in the sewer, from the comparison above. Or the last shot of him at end of RISES, the close up in the cockpit...wider lens again.

My guess is Nolan and Pfister knew the cowl could look kind of bulky, so in key close ups they pulled out a wider lens to "tweek" the appearance of the mask.

And I believe the HT sculptors were using these "in-movie" close up stills more than behind the scenes candids shot at somewhat of a distance with a LONG lens that flattens and widens.

Same thing happened in FIRST AVENGER if you watch carefully.

Back