1/6 Hot Toys Stormtroopers Deluxe Version MMS514/515

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm completely happy with idealized 1/6 troopers. I think these RotJ stormies look great. Then again, I'm waiting to pair them with my ESB Vader once he arrives, so I'm probably a complete monster anyways.

:lol

Everyone's taste is all over the place with the stock HT stormtroopers. My favourites out-of-the-box are the Rogue One stormtroopers and a lot of y'all *hate* those. :lol ...but I have no shame. They're the closest HT has come, IMO...along with their Sandtrooper.

But the gleaming, idealized quality of the HT ANH troopers remains very impressive and they're a lot of fun.

It was stormtroopers that got me into this hobby and there was a period where I was *obsessed* with screen accuracy. I still very much appreciate it, but I find myself caring somewhat less these days...in terms of one-sixth my interests have also broadened and moved on a bit. I have some of those ANH helmet casts (plus one 3D print) and I've barely started on them.

They're going to take *a lot* of work which is one reason...I just haven't had time to commit to a serious modelling project. And for some weird reason that singular focus on screen accuracy I once had has relaxed a bit. I sleep better at night. :lol

Not one of these five ANH troopers have identically assembled helmets and for what it's worth we all have a preference, in my view the custom lids from shapeways/solobones portray a true likeness to whats seen on screen that i love so much.
I want a Stormtrooper in my collection that resembles the classic costume not a caricature of.

IMG_4588.JPG
IMG_4294.JPG

Not one of these five ANH troopers have identically assembled helmets and for what it's worth we all have a preference, in my view the custom lids from shapeways/solobones portray a true likeness to whats seen on screen that i love so much.
I want a Stormtrooper in my collection that resembles the classic costume not a caricature of.

View attachment 493497
View attachment 493500

Hear hear... I agree that Will?s buckets are the best offerings to date but to each their own.

Caricature might be a bit strong. That would look more like this:

imperial_stormtrooper__star_wars__by_tihomir83_d9jliss-fullview.jpg

If each of the Stormtroopers looked unique wouldn't it be difficult for HT to pick which one to go for? Would some of the unique aspects make it difficult to army build or display multiples without the similarities standing out?

As mentioned, and clearly shown in Tali's comparison the custom helmet easily reflects the proportions and characteristics of the original helmets seen in Star Wars.
That caricature pictured looks more realistic than the HT sculpt.

[...]for what it's worth we all have a preference, in my view the custom lids from shapeways/solobones portray a true likeness to whats seen on screen that i love so much.
I want a Stormtrooper in my collection that resembles the classic costume not a caricature[...]

Agreed on the Shapeways bucket; when you put the work in the likeness is the best available. I do think there?s room for everything based on people?s taste and tolerance for stylization.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As mentioned, and clearly shown in Tali's comparison the custom helmet easily reflects the proportions and characteristics of the original helmets seen in Star Wars.
That caricature pictured looks more realistic than the HT sculpt.

It'd be one thing if the improvement was subtle but it's just so obvious even to an untrained eye that the custom sculpt is an improvement over the HT sculpt in terms of OT likeness, especially the iconic stunt look which is super tough to capture (more so than the Hero look.)

This thing looks like a shrunken-down screen used stormie suit of armor standing in your display cabinet. First time I've ever had that expereince in 25 years of collecting SW.

Everyone's taste is all over the place with the stock HT stormtroopers. My favourites out-of-the-box are the Rogue One stormtroopers and a lot of y'all *hate* those. :lol ...but I have no shame. They're the closest HT has come, IMO...along with their Sandtrooper.

But the gleaming, idealized quality of the HT ANH troopers remains very impressive and they're a lot of fun.

It was stormtroopers that got me into this hobby and there was a period where I was *obsessed* with screen accuracy. I still very much appreciate it, but I find myself caring somewhat less these days...in terms of one-sixth my interests have also broadened and moved on a bit. I have some of those ANH helmet casts (plus one 3D print) and I've barely started on them.

They're going to take *a lot* of work which is one reason...I just haven't had time to commit to a serious modelling project. And for some weird reason that singular focus on screen accuracy I once had has relaxed a bit. I sleep better at night.
:lol

I had that helmet sitting around for like a year and yeah, it was a total pain. Here I am as that custom sculpt's cheerleader yet I am super ambivalent about it too - how the guy ripped people off (I mean that's what it turned out to be) and also how it was way too much sanding and fixing what was a really crappy casting job.

And while I look forward to Carsten/TMG's stunt helmet, I am not looking forward to painting/finishing it - while he may deliver an amazing sculpt, everyone is on their own with painting. Good luck with your brow strips, boys!:rotfl

What i don't understand is how Hot Toys can totally nail the sculpts of the Shoretroopers, Deathtroopers, Mudtroopers, Patrol Troopers, Royal Guards, First Order troopers etc etc yet every single Stormtrooper they have produced misses the accuracies of whats seen on screen.:dunno

Maybe they have the digital sculpts of the newer ones in that list, and/or people care less and aren't quite as critical. Most of those don't have the same level of wonkiness too.

Maybe they have the digital sculpts of the newer ones in that list, and/or people care less and aren't quite as critical. Most of those don't have the same level of wonkiness too.

You would think. But take their Rogue One Stormtrooper. It?s *most* of the way there, yet just a *touch* softer and ?friendlier? than the screen used prop.

Either I?m imagining it, or something got lost in translation there, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree Ze, The Rogue One Is pretty close for that particular version as you described a *touch* softer.

I had that helmet sitting around for like a year and yeah, it was a total pain. Here I am as that custom sculpt's cheerleader yet I am super ambivalent about it too - how the guy ripped people off (I mean that's what it turned out to be) and also how it was way too much sanding and fixing what was a really crappy casting job.[...]

I don't think he *intended* to rip anyone off, for whatever that's worth. I've seen this kind of thing happen before. People ghost when things get away from them instead of addressing it head on.

I remain interested in the Too Much Garlic sculpt, which as he informed us is based on the same file, but yeah...the paint is non-trivial. I have it mapped out *how* to attack the castings I have, just haven't committed the bench time.

Yeah, true, I do get the slightly friendlier vibe from those. It's weird, from across the room I thought the Rogue One helmet looked great, but the closer I got that aspect became more apparent.

I actually quite like the ROTJ figure as a whole for what it is too, but the one I really prefer or want on display and in my collection is the ANH, just wish the helmets were a bit improved.

What i don't understand is how Hot Toys can totally nail the sculpts of the Shoretroopers, Deathtroopers, Mudtroopers, Patrol Troopers, Royal Guards, First Order troopers etc etc yet every single Stormtrooper they have produced misses the accuracies of whats seen on screen.:dunno

I dunno, look at the huge struggles they've had with their Vader and Fett helmets. While the squint is off, I like their ESB Fett helmet but that's really the only one that's quite close of all the Vader and Fett Ht sculpts.

They've done amazing work on stuff like Snowtrooper (well, goggles aren't quite 100%) but mostly they deliver stuff like Imperial Gunner - very nicely finished but with middling accuracy.

With this ROTJ stormie I can't believe they drill down to match the unique ROTJ armor attributes then wonk up the helmet sculpt... again. I mean if you're going to focus on something, make it the helmet!

It just doesn't really look like the ROTJ helmet (the old Medi sort of does.) What's funny is that the ROTJ costume helmet is wonky looking but the HT sculpt is wonky in a different way - they messed up the sculpt of a messed up helmet.:lol

I don't think he *intended* to rip anyone off, for whatever that's worth. I've seen this kind of thing happen before. People ghost when things get away from them instead of addressing it head on.

I remain interested in the Too Much Garlic sculpt, which as he informed us is based on the same file, but yeah...the paint is non-trivial. I have it mapped out *how* to attack the castings I have, just haven't committed the bench time.

When I saw that Solo_Bones had actually visited here only a month or so ago (there's a "last activity" feature) meaning he can see those "any update on this?" posts, that crosses into deliberate to me. Just contact those people and say you'll get stuff - or refunds - to them eventually. Those visits to me proved this wasn't a medical or life crisis thing - not when you're checking on on the Freaks.

And yeah, painting a 1/6 stormie helmet isn't fun, and even just dremeling out the inside to accept a neck joint was super tricky. TMG's project may still be a long way away though - probably next year. Well worth the wait but it will still be a pretty long wait I think.

This is where customs fill the void:lecture
Hot Toys Kylo Ren helmet is on point too in comparison to my Anovos 1:1 helmet, top marks for HT.

When I saw that Solo_Bones had actually visited here only a month or so ago (there's a "last activity" feature) meaning he can see those "any update on this?" posts, that crosses into deliberate to me. Just contact those people and say you'll get stuff - or refunds - to them eventually. Those visits to me proved this wasn't a medical or life crisis thing - not when you're checking on on the Freaks.

Fair enough.

And yeah, painting a 1/6 stormie helmet isn't fun, and even just dremeling out the inside to accept a neck joint was super tricky. TMG's project may still be a long way away though - probably next year. Well worth the wait but it will still be a pretty long wait I think.

I'm trained to work on tiny scales, but maybe because it's not paid work I keep balking at picking up those needle files. :lol

I almost wish I'd got these back in 2011-2012 at the height of my Stormtrooper obsession. Maybe the fire will come back and I'll be inspired to give it my all. I'm saving the 'Move Along' for last.

Here's a question, if Disney does in fact own an original Stormtrooper suit, why did they not scan it, at least the helmet, 3D print new ones, and use them in their new OT films and shows? Why waste time and resources creating something that's close but still off?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Back