1/6 Hot Toys Stormtroopers Deluxe Version MMS514/515

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've almost owned all the iterations of stormtroopers Hot Toys has produced this far, but my favorite still remains the ANH and Shadow troopers. They're kinda stylized but I just like the proportions, helmet aesthetic and the dual heights. I also converted them all to sandtroopers to go with my dewback. Shadow troopers I have staged with my Death Troopers. Regardless, all the HT stormtroopers are huge upgrade over the SS stormys/sandys. I had tons of them too... Never owned the Marmit or the RAH stormtroopers. I do enjoy these ROTJ versions, HT Sandy is decent too. I liked the way the RO stormys armor fit vs the ANH, but I personally didn't like the look of the helmets so I sold them all. The jump trooper and space troopers are just anh rehashes but I dig'em all the same.

Something about the proportions of the HT ANH vaguely reminds me of a 1/6 version of the Don Post mask from the 1970s/80s.

Vintage-Star-Wars-1980s-Stormtrooper-face-mask.jpg

I do like the HT sandie sculpt better, though even it doesn't really capture that ANH stunt look for me. I actually chiseled out the goggles sockets on mine to make the eyes bigger and it did help, though still isn't quite there.

Other than the custom sculpt (that a few people have done various things to) the best 1/6 stormie sculpt sculpt for me is the Marmit Sandie, which is very close to a match for the ANH hero.

Even the Marmit Stormie, which is a slightly different (and slightly inferior to the sandie imo) sculpt, is decent. Though both Marmits have a somewhat soft sculpt detail due to the vinyl.

bce1ee4d3b46c61f55a88fbd27c2ee26.jpg

Yeah, I don?t know what it is about those old Marmits, but they look simply amazing. IMHO, despite the soft details, the Marmits are the only ones that instantly look like the real deal.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

The perfect ST helmet will probably never happen (with the closest being the old Marmit one, if not mistaken), but I'm still digging my two HT ANH ones.

ANH STs.jpg

This is selling out/sold out at most places....debating grabbing one now before the price goes up or sticking with the remnant troopers.

This is selling out/sold out at most places....debating grabbing one now before the price goes up or sticking with the remnant troopers.

They're 2 very different armors. If you only want one Stormtrooper then depends on which style you prefer, ROTJ or RO. Or if you don't care about the style then it's clean vs dirty.

I was on the fence with this as to whether I needed another Stormtrooper and wasn't crazy about it in the photo's. But I must say in hand I think it looks great and I'm glad I got it. I actually think I may like it more than the RO. But I like having a representation of all the different OT Stormtroopers. I missed out on the original ANH, but I have the Spacetrooper (which is basically the same as the regular ANH but with the added backpack), Sandtrooper, Shadowtrooper, Rogue One regular Trooper and this ROTJ Stormtrooper. And I also have the old Marmit Stormtrooper and Sandtrooper Sergeant (White Pauldron) and the 1/6 Bandai Model Stormtrooper.

I think I'm finally gonna get the Mando Deathrooper after being indecisive and missing out on the RO versions. The only other one I kinda regret passing on was the RO Orange Pauldron (Wine rack) Trooper.

Can never have too many Stormtroopers.... :)

Can never have too many Stormtroopers.... :)

Agree! Every iteration offers something. The only ones I am missing is the white pauldron Jedha Patrol, which continues to elude me, and 2 remnants on their way today. The ROTJ one definitely is among the more poseable.

I got two of these at release and have two more on the way from sideshow that I got right before they went waitlist. This is by far my favorite trooper figure we have gotten so far. So much fun factor.

Get them before they sell out, they are not perfectly accurate for ROTJ (some don't mind that anyway), but the figures are very cool nevertheless. Better looking than RO version anyway. And quite poseable too.

HT is zero for three in terms of accurately capturing the ANH, ROTJ and RO helmets. They went to so much trouble to match the unique aspects of the ROTJ style armor too.

I'm thankful I don't have the eye for minutia when it comes to Stormtroopers and Darth Vader. I just see Stormtroopers and Darth Vader and am content. All I know is that sometimes the Stormtoopers have sand/space/snow gear and sometimes Vader forgets where his robe goes when getting dressed.

It's just weird that HT has such an eye for minutiae that they include the thumb print on the upper arm ANH armor and can tell the difference between an ANH and ROTJ shoulder bell, yet the helmets don't have that same level of attention to detail, despite being impeccably finished paint/tampo wise.

Unfortunately we'll never get really accurate helmets from HT. We got long ago a very accurate Stormtrooper from Gentle Giant with their first Stormie mini-bust (though even this it was a bit underscaled and with long mic tips), and then, in a way, with the Marmit, but in the end everything has its flaws. As much as I enjoy accuracy in 1:1, I'm pretty aware we'll never get 100% accuracy in scaled items.

Unfortunately we'll never get really accurate helmets from HT. We got long ago a very accurate Stormtrooper from Gentle Giant with their first Stormie mini-bust (though even this it was a bit underscaled and with long mic tips), and then, in a way, with the Marmit, but in the end everything has its flaws. As much as I enjoy accuracy in 1:1, I'm pretty aware we'll never get 100% accuracy in scaled items.

I always thought there were several versions, or at minimum, differences simply due to basic prop production values on that first film, that it's more or less an act in futilility to get "the" definitive helmet.

Depending which reference pic you take it'll always be wrong.

But anyway don't want to start a deep analysis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"we'll never get an accurate stormie helmet" aside, the simple question is: why does HT keep producing the helmets like the one on the left and the one on the right instead of the one in the middle, that looks much more accurate to the iconic OT stunt?

1pIvDwP.png

I know which one of these looks most like an OT stormie helmet, I just wish I could buy it from HT.:dunno

I always thought there were several versions, or at minimum, differences simply due to basic prop production values on that first film, that it's more or less an act in futilility to get "the" definitive helmet.

Depending which reference pic you take it'll always be wrong.

But anyway don't want to start a deep analysis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On short, the overall look of the OT helmets is the same, despite various helmets being assembled a bit differently, they used the same molds and that is easily seen. The tells of an ANH helmet will always be there, and are different from a ROTJ or RO etc. The funny thing is in a way the old Medicom Stormie helmet is more accurate to ROTJ than the HT, without being too squished, as people would not like that.

"we'll never get an accurate stormie helmet" aside, the simple question is: why does HT keep producing the helmets like the one on the left and the one on the right instead of the one in the middle, that looks much more accurate to the iconic OT stunt?

1pIvDwP.png

I know which one of these looks most like an OT stormie helmet, I just wish I could buy it from HT.:dunno

I'd be happy to have the Gentle Giant Stormtrooper helmet scaled up to real 1/6, this being the closest to accuracy scaled licensed Stormtrooper helmet. The custom helmet above looks nice, but it is too rough for 1/6, not the aspect of it, but the finish (brow trim, frown, mouth etc.) - this is why I was never interested in getting one - it would need to be finished to the same level as the HT helmet, and haven't seen one like that yet. I know original screen used helmets were rough (I even handled screen used), but not this way.

On short, the overall look of the OT helmets is the same, despite various helmets being assembled a bit differently, they used the same molds and that is easily seen. The tells of an ANH helmet will always be there, and are different from a ROTJ or RO etc. The funny thing is in a way the old Medicom Stormie helmet is more accurate to ROTJ than the HT, without being too squished, as people would not like that.

I'd be happy to have the Gentle Giant Stormtrooper helmet scaled up to real 1/6, this being the closest to accuracy scaled licensed Stormtrooper helmet. The custom helmet above looks nice, but it is too rough for 1/6, not the aspect of it, but the finish (brow trim, frown, mouth etc.) - this is why I was never interested in getting one - it would need to be finished to the same level as the HT helmet, and haven't seen one like that yet. I know original screen used helmets were rough (I even handled screen used), but not this way.

Well, rough in huge macro pics, not rough in-hand though. It's a problem with these forums - these huge close-up pics aren't what you see in-hand from a normal 2-3ft viewing distance. Few custom items hold up to that macro scrutiny but they can still look as good or even better in-hand than HT/SSC on the shelf (which this Solo Bones helmet definitely does does - it screams ANH stunt.)

And yeah, I had both a screen-used ANH and ROTJ stormie helmet at my house for a few months (held for a collector back in the 1990s) and ugh were they rough - bumpy surface, hand-painted, distortions, badly cut eyes, wonky mics.

While yeah the black brow line should be sharp/crisp because it's a strip in 1:1, the rest of the Solo Bones 1/6 helmet seems no rougher than the 1:1 helmets I had (and some of the roughness, like the eye cut outs, was intentional.) This Solo Bones helmet is the first time EVER that I've looked at a 1/6 stormie fig and felt like I was standing in front of a full sized costume that stepped off the screen, which was magic to behold.

Frankly, even the ANH hero helmets don't look as mega-clean/crisp and symmetrical as the HT helmets do - so the HT helmets are in reality just as inaccurate as the slightly too rough custom helmets - even the GG bust has sculpted "vents" not stickers and straight not curved lines as they should be - so this argument shouldn't keep you from jumping onto a custom helmet project (Too Much Garlic's being the next to come up, hopefully by the end of this year.)

How do you feel about the SS helmets?

The tubes are too "fat", the mic tips too large and the brow too tall on the Sideshow. It's also a little lacking in sculpt crispness because it's 10+ years old, and doesn't have great paint apps/finish.

It shares the same sculpt error as the ANH HT though - the "chin ridge" (ridge right below the "mouth") is too large in relation to the "nose ridge" right above the mouth. This is what makes the HT ANH look like a much better painted/sharper version of the SSC helmet.

Ironically, HT then got it wrong in reverse on the ROTJ helmet, where they made the nose ridge too large in relation to the chin ridge below the mouth. So the HT ANH has the mouth slightly too high and the ROTJ has the mouth slightly too low on that "ridge" the mouth sits on.

The only stormtrooper helmets to me that look accurate to onscreen (other than custom helmets) are the GG bust, which is a really decent and nicely wonky match to the ANH stunt, though it's undersized for 1/6 and the cheek vents are wrong (sculpted and straight) and it has slightly softer statue sculpt versus the crispness of say a HT sculpt. The second is the Marmit sandie, which to me is a really decent match to the ANH hero, but it is a soft sculpt (due to vinyl) and the paint is simplistic.

Back