1/6 Hot Toys Stormtroopers Deluxe Version MMS514/515

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know, regarding the helmets, other than the way the teeth are painted, I find the differences negligible...

If you only take a fleeting glance, at the end of the day, a Stormtrooper is a Stormtrooper so it’s going to look like a Stormtrooper.

But once you start looking closer, it’s hard to stop seeing the various unique traits and quirks that differentiate the different Stormtroopers have.

It’s harder to tell from the Hot Toys figures though, as neither the ANH or the new RotJ version are 100% accurate.

Last edited:
This helmet sculpt looks more like the RO helmet than HT's RO helmet did (which wasn't a very good match for the onscreen RO helmets.)

This helmet looks better than HT's ANH helmet but it still looks off as a "OT stormtrooper," just in a different way than the ANH ones were.

Given the ANH sculpt was a bit off I guess the idea HT could capture the subtle differences in the mold-distorted ROTJ helmet was probably too much of an ask. Even the overpainted-black ROTJ mouth (the most obvious ROTJ element beyond shape) seems too thin on the HT figure.

I do like the armor and unique blaster on this release and as an overall stormie it looks nice though, maybe better than the ANH version (I really wasn't a fan of HT's original ANH helmet) if you don't mind the weathering and ROTJ armor quirks. I'm probably still getting one, and it's a really great price.

Would you mind taking a side by side of just the helmets. There can be so much lens distortion at the top when the whole figure is in shot. I'm interested to see how the Sandtrooper helmet looks compared to this guy.

Loooove the Sand trooper helmet (and the Sandie as a whole of course !!)

Comparison shots in natural light:

4gjlh2.jpg

11ce5wz.jpg

2h6slc0.jpg

The green is overbearing. They made it a lot more subtle with previous releases. Also would've preferred more weathering for the Endor look but I guess that'll come with the eventual scout trooper.

4gjlh2.jpg
esbHDPE03.jpg

Helmet itself looks more ESB than ROTJ to me (especially with the black teeth lacking the ROTJ overspray)

But that’s just fine by me since I plan on him being my surrogate ESB trooper anyway. I know the chest and abdomen armor is distinctly ROTJ style, but that doesn’t bother me.

I ordered 2 Deluxe months ago, but do I really want to pay $100 more the 2 backdrops? I already have it with han stormtrooper. Will sideshow let me convert the order to the regular or will there be a penalty? Looks like a nice figure, but it’s another stormtrooper, nothing to get excited about.

I ordered 2 Deluxe months ago, but do I really want to pay $100 more the 2 backdrops? I already have it with han stormtrooper. Will sideshow let me convert the order to the regular or will there be a penalty? Looks like a nice figure, but it’s another stormtrooper, nothing to get excited about.

I decided against it and just went with two of the standard version. I'm the same. I've got the backdrop already with Stormie Han but it's never even left the box. I just can't see myself using it and didn't fancy selling it just to make a tenner back on it based on the higher price.

Stormtroopers are THE thing to get excited about! :)

So, as I am not an expert on the variations of Stormtrooper armor film to film, is it the general consensus here is that this is the best version that has been released from Hot Toys?

If yes, which film does this version seem most true to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Visit this site and start reading: https://starwarshelmets.com/Original-ROTJ-stormtrooper-armor-helmets.htm

No Hot Toys OT Stormtrooper/Sandtrooper figure is perfect, and not talking about asymmetry here, but the overall look of helmet and armor. They are ok renditions of one of the most iconic villains of all time. The new Stormtrooper is ROTJ inspired, but is missing a few tells that truly make it ROTJ, the figure is ok without some of these ROTJ characteristics, some could have been added and the figure would have looked even better (I posted pics of the Proto with the ROTJ like frown which is better than the released version).

The good thing is the new ROTJ inspired Stormtrooper is different enough from the ANH version, to even warrant a second buy for people who want more TK's in their collection and not complain about re-issue.

You can probably sell the back drops for at least $75 each, so I'd just keep them.

I ordered two of these troopers at my LHS, and I actually intend to hybridize them into ANH troopers...
I have two full torso armor pieces (chest, abdomen and crotch), and I'll just paint the teeth grey and the soles of the shoes black. Might use the old Sideshow belts as well to have the correct left-sided holster.
I'll decide once I have them in hand.

I decided against it and just went with two of the standard version. I'm the same. I've got the backdrop already with Stormie Han but it's never even left the box. I just can't see myself using it and didn't fancy selling it just to make a tenner back on it based on the higher price.

Stormtroopers are THE thing to get excited about! :)

I agree, but I just meant we need new blood. I’d get really excited to get a tantive trooper or hoth rebel. But no, just the 432,888 version of iron man.

If you look at the official Hot Toys site and search by licenses, this is under the general StarWars license, NOT ROTJ. They did modify the helmet so it is not as warped as the ROTJ one, so they know it’s not exactly as the ROTJ one.

I ordered two of these troopers at my LHS, and I actually intend to hybridize them into ANH troopers...
I have two full torso armor pieces (chest, abdomen and crotch), and I'll just paint the teeth grey and the soles of the shoes black. Might use the old Sideshow belts as well to have the correct left-sided holster.
I'll decide once I have them in hand.

You'll also need to swap out the hands. This guy has hand armor that matches ESB and ROTJ troops, which is quite different looking than the ANH hand armor.

Back