Hot Toys : Still number one?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It pains me to say it, but I think you're absolutely right. Are there other companies who have licenses that can sell well? Yup. Are there other companies that have the same (or better, in some cases) quality level? Yup. Are there any right now that have BOTH? Nope.

There's gotta be a company that releases great product on a great schedule, proves themselves to both consumers AND Hollywood, and is willing to take the loss if product doesn't sell until they're able to get that one great license that puts them over the top. I thought Asmus was poised to do that - but unfortunately, The Hobbit was horrible and LOTR isn't what it used to be, and their releases aren't up to snuff. Then I thought ThreeZero had a chance. Have they even released a Walking Dead figure yet besides the dead walkers? (Not a fan of that show, but I know it's very popular).

I for one am ECSTATIC about QMX's Trek line, and I'll have to hide the fact from my wife that I will buy each and every one (assuming the quality holds up, of course). But I realize that I'm not in the core collecting demographic there. I hope they'll do well, but I know that Trek figures historically don't do well past the main "core" characters. Maybe the increased sales with being in the 1/6 scale will help them over the hump a bit.

I agree. While this subject may be taboo, I believe that edition size should be implemented a little bit more strictly on lines and characters that aren't guaranteed to sell out immediately, that way a company can gauge the interest levels of certain characters and lines to see whether fans want more or not, this way expectations are kept in check and the company doesn't have to worry about putting their products on sale just to get rid of them.

I got into Hot Toys late, but going back and buying older figures I liked the look of, my favourite stuff from them is definitely from around 2012/2013. That seemed to be when they really hit their peak in terms of quality:bang-for-buck ratio. Everything recently has just been small iterative improvements and rising price tags. The only avenue of real innovation in engineering seems to be the Iron Man line, which has given us the Diecast subline, new approaches articulation and electronic features, etc.

I've noticed on a lot of their recent solicitations they're trying very hard to give their figures 'looks' other than dull surprise, so that's something at least.

As to who could viably overthrow them, Blitzway and VTS/DAM seem to be making the strongest effort in that regard - if VTS stopped making bootlegs and chased licenses, I think they could seriously be a company to contend with. I also think one thing that may bring HT down a peg, in a 'death by one thousand cuts' manner, is the effort by various companies to match the quality appeal in a smaller, more affordable package. I started collecting Hot Toys and other 1/6 because I wanted something that offered me more realism, more detail and more 'wow' factor than six-inch figures (my preferred scale) were offering. Now to varying degrees you have companies like Mezco, Tamashii/SH Figuarts, King Arts (albeit in 1/9 scale), Sentinel, etc nipping at their heels.

I think HT is still #1 in terms of general quality and number of figures. Perhaps Enterbay is #2 for quality but they lack the variety. And speaking of quality what up with the paint quality on the premium formats by SS? Its terrible compared to Hot Toys even though the scale is larger. This is mainly noticeable on human figures because the faces are a challenge for SS in terms of realistic skin tones and eyes.

No, while their headsculpts are generally still the best, they've compromised in other areas. Use of moulded boots is too common. Swap out parts, when before they had working features. Total lack of variety in the subjects released. Virtually every other company going has seen my business this year, with HT notching up only 1 figure this year.

Shouldn't even be a question.

Blitzway is #1, they just don't have the licences.

Last edited:

This.

Hot Toys has so many great licenses, but all they do is sit on them. I'm still hoping their Batman 89 license gets picked up by Blitzway somehow.
I wish they would've gotten Beetlejuice instead of Sideshow.

It's like the Buffalo Bills were the best team ever. They just only won that one superbowl.

I think if you dont have the licenses then by definition you arent #1.

HT is eaily still wearing the crown-

Licenses- marvel, dc, and star wars are the biggest prizes and they have ALL THREE. Tough to beat that. Secondary licenses like Arnold movies and BTTF are significant. Other companies to compete have to get licenses in areas where HT wont go.

Volume- This is where HT clearly still holds the reigns by putting out steady stream of releases. You can count on a reveal/announcement maybe once every 60 days. They dont crank them out but they put out a solid volume every year that keeps us all on the hook waiting for whats next. It's a testament to their production capability and work ethic.

Quality- other companies have made yuuuuge jumps in quality to compete with HT. But on a conistent basis HT is still the yard stick by which others are measured. Give them their due- most of us wouldnt be collecting if it wasnt for HT. They made 1/6 boom by making figures of unprecedented detail and likeness. Outside of gi joe they made it cool again for grown men and boys to collect dolls again.

So HT still gets the nod from me.

The licenses in addition to the other points i just wrote about. I raise licenses as one of a few key measurement tools.

I feel there's a counter-argument to be made that they're spreading themselves too thin with the amount of licenses they currently hold. While they're still hitting a good average, it's nothing like the 2012-2013 period where literally every single figure they made was a near-flawless home run - and honestly, I think they're sinking way too much into the trifecta of licenses you mentioned above.

Granted, Marvel/DC/Star Wars are obviously huge sellers and they exist as a company to make a profit ultimately, but when they finally branch out they give us a single subpar figure for Commando, a Raiden from MGR:R with self-destructing elbow joints on almost every unit produced, a second attempt at ED-209 with even worse rubber rot than the original, a Ripley figure frozen in hypersleep for several years, etc - it's clear (to me at least) that they just can't invest the effort they used to in each individual figure any more, and the ones that seem to receive the most attention are Marvel, Star Wars and DC releases, in that order.

I don't disagree that they're still the top of the game overall (although I do think there's several smaller companies that beat them like a rented mule on overall quality - VTS/DAM and Blitzway both come to mind), but I don't think they're going to hold onto that crown for much longer at this rate. I see them becoming victims of their own success, especially if some of those smaller companies manage to get the licenses for properties that were formerly their bread and butter like Robocop, Terminator, Alien, Predator, etc.

I feel there's a counter-argument to be made that they're spreading themselves too thin with the amount of licenses they currently hold. While they're still hitting a good average, it's nothing like the 2012-2013 period where literally every single figure they made was a near-flawless home run - and honestly, I think they're sinking way too much into the trifecta of licenses you mentioned above.
This was sort of the point with the thread.....maybe still on top volume and license.....but what about consistent quality? I have to admit I like most of the SS SQWAD figures so far.....to bad the movie was terrible.

But most of the other releases as of late...seem to miss the high water mark they set for themselves...(Star Wars , Alien, BTTF,)

Overall I think HT is still tops from a quality perspective. (value is for the individual to decide) The expectations of the customers/fanbase plays into this. There seems to be a demand for perfection of figures and details. Any deviation from this and it's dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria.

Hot Toys just responded back to an email I sent them about replacement parts. Incredibly courteous and professional :)

They e-mailed you back! That's a first I think!

I do think other companies are catching up. I was exclusively Hot Toys, but bought a few different brands for the GF. I have so far bought a three zero figure ( Tyrion from Game Of Thrones ) and Asmus ( Aragon LOTR ) Tyrion came in at just over £100 and devoid of any accessories, however the quality of the head sculpt/paint and clothing was fantastic! It was utterly gorgeous. Aragon was just under 200 and came with a second head sculpt, a large well painted set piece, tons of accessories, fantastic tailoring, great paint application and sculpt, let down by a slightly questionable hair piece. I was honestly quite surprised at the quality of both these items, always thinking Hot Toys where the best, but it really looks like there days at the top are numbered. I think the Blitz Ghostbusters will be a turning point for the outsiders.

They e-mailed you back! That's a first I think!

I do think other companies are catching up. I was exclusively Hot Toys, but bought a few different brands for the GF. I have so far bought a three zero figure ( Tyrion from Game Of Thrones ) and Asmus ( Aragon LOTR ) Tyrion came in at just over £100 and devoid of any accessories, however the quality of the head sculpt/paint and clothing was fantastic! It was utterly gorgeous. Aragon was just under 200 and came with a second head sculpt, a large well painted set piece, tons of accessories, fantastic tailoring, great paint application and sculpt, let down by a slightly questionable hair piece. I was honestly quite surprised at the quality of both these items, always thinking Hot Toys where the best, but it really looks like there days at the top are numbered. I think the Blitz Ghostbusters will be a turning point for the outsiders.

At first I was in disbelief they were very nice. Oh yea I agree. When I started collecting 1/6 I mostly saw Hot Toys. But the past few years as I learned more about the 1/6 market and now I see a variety of fantastic companies. Blitzway Ghostbusters is definitely a game changer for outsiders :)

I think the Blitz Ghostbusters will be a turning point for the outsiders.
This is what prompted me to start this thread...competition in this industry is lacking.....we need some new guys to get bigger and have some price/sculpt competition the level the market.

Those GB look nice, but it's not anything HT couldn't do if they wanted to. The outfits and accessories, no problem. They even used a HT sculptor. Though most of HT's offerings don't interest me much anymore, being able to release the volume they do and still retain top quality, is unequaled in 1/6 world.

You could make the argument HT isn't top dog but it wouldn't be a very convincing one. HT is responsible for the boom in the hobby and why ppl are still collecting 7,8 years later.

The problem HT have now is their close ties to the studios. Before, their figures were iconic subjects, taken from landmark films. Now they are just a marketing tool to publicize the movies. Hence, we have a glut of product, that comes from lacklustre films, and the figures, no matter how good, are unwanted.

Back