Hot Toys Star Wars Stormtrooper

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not a big fan of the new Stormtrooper armor, I understand they needed to upgrade the suits for today's HD cinematics where the classic one with bumps and warts couldn't quite fit in, but there are things on the new armor that look very weird. Though the Stormtrooper helmet has some interesting upgrades like the ears and the tube vents.

But for me the magic is there even if you see the warts and dents. I like knowing as much as possible about the props I'm interested in. That's why Star Wars for me will always have that used universe look and feel, Star Wars was not shiny and idealized. I enjoy the classic armors and helmets, the rough blasters with crude greeblies attached to them, lightsabers that are made from rough real world parts etc. I like collecting props that look and feel the way they were made back then. I understand people liking idealized stuff, like the Master Replicas shiny props, but the real parts/greeblies and the wonkiness present on he original props get me deeper in the SW universe and also closer to the talented ILM artists who created it like that (with or without intention)
My line of thinking is, the Empire should be shiny and idealized; that's their whole aesthetic. I'm not saying that the universe should be prequel-shiny, I'm saying that the Stormtrooper helmets shouldn't be asymmetrical and warped because the Empire in particular is supposed to be perfect and idealized in regards to aesthetic.

My line of thinking is, the Empire should be shiny and idealized; that's they're whole aesthetic. I'm not saying that the universe should be prequel-shiny, I'm saying that the Stormtrooper helmets shouldn't be asymmetrical and warped because the Empire in particular is supposed to be perfect and idealized in regards to aesthetic.

I get that, but I also envision a brutal utilitarianism inherent to the imperial war machine. Stormtroopers are expendable, anonymous grunts.

I'm happy with either/or, really.

My line of thinking is, the Empire should be shiny and idealized; that's their whole aesthetic. I'm not saying that the universe should be prequel-shiny, I'm saying that the Stormtrooper helmets shouldn't be asymmetrical and warped because the Empire in particular is supposed to be perfect and idealized in regards to aesthetic.

From a in universe point of view you are right. From a prop point of view I'm interested in my stuff to be as accurate as possible to the real props, no matter if asymmetrical, wonky, imperfect or with bumps

From a in universe point of view you are right. From a prop point of view I'm interested in my stuff to be as accurate as possible to the real props, no matter if asymmetrical, wonky, imperfect or with bumps
I totally understand regarding props from the OT; what I am saying is that I don't mind the Rogue One Imperial props and armor, and figures based on them being symmetrical and idealized.

Figures/props based on the Stormtroopers from the original films should be wonky and asymmetrical.

image.jpg
Exactly. HT needs to make a different Stormtrooper if they intend to do it from Rogue One.

image.jpg
These are some pics of the helmet and back panel from one of the RO actual Stormtrooper costumes that were on display at Celebration. These things are so different to the original stormtrooper armour, personally not to my taste but still better than the "iPhone" stormtroopers.

Posted a pic on the last page, but here is the video of the panel they did at celebration.

Watch from minute 11, they speak about the updates they have done to the 'OT' trooper helmets

I disagree. Let's be real here, the original OT suits would not stand up to scrutiny nowadays; ANH was made quick-and-dirty, and they didn't have the 3d modelling tech they have today.

The helmets looks fine, now they don't look as clunky.

I'm going to have to disagree with your disagreement lol.
Of course I understand that they didn't have 3D modelling tech in 1977, I'm not talking about details like asymmetry or the quick and dirty nature of the first film. I'm talking about the general blocky, clunky look of the RO Stormies vs the originals. If you really look at them, the originals, as wonky as they might be, were actually fitted well and the body armor was curved and sculpted to fit anatomical forms. (thighs, calves etc)

Look how boxy and without form the new armor is, and look at those codpieces lol This boxiness is what is helping the helmet look small imo.
https://screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/Donnie-Yen-fights-Stormtroopers-in-Star-Wars-Rogue-One.jpg

now look at the originals
https://images.techtimes.com/data/images/full/121154/star-wars-stormtroopers.jpg

I'm going to have to disagree with your disagreement lol.
Of course I understand that they didn't have 3D modelling tech in 1977, I'm not talking about details like asymmetry or the quick and dirty nature of the first film. I'm talking about the general blocky, clunky look of the RO Stormies vs the originals. If you really look at them, the originals, as wonky as they might be, were actually fitted well and the body armor was curved and sculpted to fit anatomical forms. (thighs, calves etc)

Look how boxy and without form the new armor is, and look at those codpieces lol This boxiness is what is helping the helmet look small imo.
https://screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/Donnie-Yen-fights-Stormtroopers-in-Star-Wars-Rogue-One.jpg

now look at the originals
https://images.techtimes.com/data/images/full/121154/star-wars-stormtroopers.jpg
I see what you mean. Thanks for explaining!

If they revealed the Royal Guards wore red stormtrooper armour underneath and wore a second helmet, that would solve all my first world problems.

Just got an email they expect the gold trooper in 13 days. Weird number I usually get 7 days lol

Has to be ANH Stormtrooper. It has a death star backdrop. Wish that was included in the first release.

Back