Hot Toys Star Wars Stormtrooper

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi. Its dumb question time!
I was getting my trooper ready for the display case and the holster magnet popped off. I tried scuffing the back of the magnet and applied "ultra gel super glue". It still seems to be a really weak bond. Anyone here have any tips to fix it?

My tiny holster magnet was in the box when the figure arrived. I simply glued it back with superglue.

Hi. Its dumb question time!
I was getting my trooper ready for the display case and the holster magnet popped off. I tried scuffing the back of the magnet and applied "ultra gel super glue". It still seems to be a really weak bond. Anyone here have any tips to fix it?

Definately not a dumb question. I had the same issue, tried krazy glue and that didn't help at all. In the end, I got a tiny piece of clear double sided tape to keep the magnet on. I figured I'm not going to touch the holster a lot anyways.

Gorilla glue (superglue gel) works well for me.

Not sure if Gorilla make different products, but the stuff labeled just "Gorilla Glue" that I've bought in the past in the US and here near Mississauga is polyurethane-based. It's brown and expands like crazy as it dries. It would probably work really well for the magnets but you have to be really careful to only use a tiny bit from a toothpick or pin and according to the instructions, you'd also have to wet/moisten the surface of the magnet first (because it's non-porous).

I used some really strong double sided tape at first and it started to lift a bit. So I went back to trying super glue. I let it sit over night and it seems to have worked. But I'm not going to pick at it to find out. :D

Thanks everyone for your help.

I'm amazed how quickly the hands from this figure got bootlegged on that Force Toys trooper.

Thanks, I'll give a report as soon as I get them in.
But I'm sure there will be a lot of stuff to work out if the mixing and matching is to work...

As someone who did pick up HT armor pieces as well for his SS Stormies, I can attest that it really isn't worth mixing and matching due to the colour differential.

I thought that I *might* have been able to get away with it because I use the SDCC glossy Han and Luke figures without the head sculpts as my display troopers, but even then there's too much of a difference in the colour to get away with it - SS is more of and eggshell white while the HT armor is a liquid paper white.

That said, I still swapped out the waist and cod piece armor for both of my figures... the colour difference isn't too noticeable and made a very big improvement imo to the look of the figures.

My Darth Vader placeholder :lol

19135228795_f5a38d3c97_o_d.jpg

As someone who did pick up HT armor pieces as well for his SS Stormies, I can attest that it really isn't worth mixing and matching due to the colour differential.

I thought that I *might* have been able to get away with it because I use the SDCC glossy Han and Luke figures without the head sculpts as my display troopers, but even then there's too much of a difference in the colour to get away with it - SS is more of and eggshell white while the HT armor is a liquid paper white.

That said, I still swapped out the waist and cod piece armor for both of my figures... the colour difference isn't too noticeable and made a very big improvement imo to the look of the figures.

Pics please

I got a notice from sideshow that my single stormtrooper will be charged in 3-5 weeks or longer due to some dock strike. I thought that was resolved months ago

Indeed.
I really wasn't under any illusions regarding the color, since I also have the Medicom Stormies which have a beautiful glossy finish to their white armour.
Anyway, the parts arrived yesterday and I quickly put them on one of my Sideshow Stormtroopers.
The color difference is quite shocking, and it does make Sideshow's look pretty ugly and cheap when inspected up close.
I think you'd have to repaint the whole thing to match the color, no gloss coat will help there.

As for the fit, I have my Sideshow stormies stock, no body swaps. The chest and abdominal armour, as well as the cod piece fit perfectly on the regular Sideshow body, but the thigh armour is way too large, so I kept the Sideshow one.

Pics please

Here's a couple of quick iPhone pics I took this morning:

As you can see, the new armour really improves the look of the figure, but the difference in color and texture is inescapable.
Still, I'm happy for now. I'll give it some more thought on whether I want to get more loose parts.

At any rate, I can imagine how impressive the HT Stormtroopers must look, based on the quality of the loose parts I bought.

Indeed.
I really wasn't under any illusions regarding the color, since I also have the Medicom Stormies which have a beautiful glossy finish to their white armour.
Anyway, the parts arrived yesterday and I quickly put them on one of my Sideshow Stormtroopers.
The color difference is quite shocking, and it does make Sideshow's look pretty ugly and cheap when inspected up close.
I think you'd have to repaint the whole thing to match the color, no gloss coat will help there.

As for the fit, I have my Sideshow stormies stock, no body swaps. The chest and abdominal armour, as well as the cod piece fit perfectly on the regular Sideshow body, but the thigh armour is way too large, so I kept the Sideshow one.

Here's a couple of quick iPhone pics I took this morning:

As you can see, the new armour really improves the look of the figure, but the difference in color and texture is inescapable.
Still, I'm happy for now. I'll give it some more thought on whether I want to get more loose parts.

At any rate, I can imagine how impressive the HT Stormtroopers must look, based on the quality of the loose parts I bought.

Have you considered buying a new HT stormtrooper and just keeping the SS trooper as is? You can never have enough stormtroopers :)

Have you considered buying a new HT stormtrooper and just keeping the SS trooper as is? You can never have enough stormtroopers :)

You know, it's actually weird... Stormtroopers and Vader are among my favourite ever characters/designs, they obviously were an integral part of my childhood games, and up to now, I've bought most of the figures I could find of them. I bought Medicom's horrendously expensive V1.0 ROTJ Vader and two Stormies, as well as a Sandtrooper, and then also the Sideshow Vader, Stormtroopers and Sandtroopers. But for some reason, I just can't get excited enough over HT's (admittedly wonderful) offerings.

Monetary constraints are obviously a factor for me right now, but I think I would've found a way if I really wanted to.

So for now, I'll just toy around with ideas of upgrading my Sideshow troops. But who knows, maybe somewhere down the line I'll get some HT Stormtroopers.

Cant wait for tomorrow! And Ive even borrowed my sisters camera so I might be able to take some decent pictures :)

We are on the same page on this one. I got 2 Sideshow Trooper and 1 Hot Toy version. Gonna get 1 more HT version next month.
And you are right. "You can never have enough stormtroopers". :)

Mine will not arrive today as I had hoped. Still in transit and will arrive on monday. This is the worst kind of waiting, so close.. :gah:

"You can never have enough stormtroopers". :)

As I have always said, only when you can display the emperors arrival scene can you stop getting more troopers.

You know, it's actually weird... Stormtroopers and Vader are among my favourite ever characters/designs, they obviously were an integral part of my childhood games, and up to now, I've bought most of the figures I could find of them. I bought Medicom's horrendously expensive V1.0 ROTJ Vader and two Stormies, as well as a Sandtrooper, and then also the Sideshow Vader, Stormtroopers and Sandtroopers. But for some reason, I just can't get excited enough over HT's (admittedly wonderful) offerings.

Monetary constraints are obviously a factor for me right now, but I think I would've found a way if I really wanted to.

So for now, I'll just toy around with ideas of upgrading my Sideshow troops. But who knows, maybe somewhere down the line I'll get some HT Stormtroopers.

It's because in the back of your saying someone will do it better

Back