Hot Toys Star Wars Stormtrooper

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, living overseas often gets you a 25-30% mark-up on anything you order. Not so much bothered by taxes but fees charged over that are just disgusting. Mostly doubles VAT.

Yeah that is what kept me from ordering the 2-pack from SS. The VAT alone would kill me, and then the fees would bury me... Seems like it is starting to make its way to european stores though.

Same here. My last direct order from SSC was in 2011. And now I only have the HT Spacetrooper from them on pre-order. All these taxes, customs and VAT are killer - especially when they are applied to shipping costs too - just like a tax on a tax.

Sideshow should put a warehouse somewhere in Europe to cut the costs for everyone and compete with other European retailers.

Not sure if it would be worth it for them though, but I know it would be for my fellow collectors.

SSC used to have an European warehouse years ago, but they shut it down... Hope it opens up again

Same here. My last direct order from SSC was in 2011. And now I only have the HT Spacetrooper from them on pre-order. All these taxes, customs and VAT are killer - especially when they are applied to shipping costs too - just like a tax on a tax.
Yeah it hurts.

I only have the scout trooper EX and Spacetroope on order directly from SSC.

Now they are HT official EU distributor, a Eu based wharehouse could be cost effective i guess. Not holding my breath though.

I am in Canada and I don't order directly from SS anymore except if it is an exclusive I really want. Shipping charges are way too expensive for Canada even if it is very close to the US. It cost me close to $50 for the 1/6 R2-D2 (the box is not that big and it didn't weight that much).

My last buy (not from SS) was Tamashi C-3PO (which we know to be much more heavy than R2 :lol) and it was shipped from Japan and cost $20. The main issue with SS for me is that they ship using FedEx, it would be much better if they used the US Postal service.

Sideshow always includes the invoice, though? Can't think of any company that wouldn't. Or are you getting it shipped to someone in the States, having them remove the customs info (Sideshow always has that in an envelope on the outside of the shipper) and then forwarding on? Anyway, I pay all my customs stuff and while I don't enjoy it, it's not too bad, but then that's to Canada. If you're in the UK with VAT or whatnot, it seems to get pretty pricey.

Sideshow NEVER includes an invoice shipped to the states. The only way for me to get my stuff in Curacao is a freight forwarder from Miami as there is no delivery option here. I then lower the value of the goods on an invoice I send in order to not get destroyed. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to collect as I have to pay shipping to Miami, then shipping to Curacao, then tax and customs. With the lesser declared value I'm able to make it reasonable.

Sideshow NEVER includes an invoice shipped to the states. The only way for me to get my stuff in Curacao is a freight forwarder from Miami as there is no delivery option here. I then lower the value of the goods on an invoice I send in order to not get destroyed. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to collect as I have to pay shipping to Miami, then shipping to Curacao, then tax and customs. With the lesser declared value I'm able to make it reasonable.
Interesting scenario, marker, and good workaround! Thanks for taking time to explain. :duff

Sideshow used to have a European warehouse but they closed it down. I presume that it was not profitable for them. I guess it makes sense for them to just distribute from the U.S. - they sell the figures at the U.S. price and the consumer pays for postage and tax in their own country. If they had to ship their stuff to their own European warehouse, they would have to pay for that transport cost and presumably pay tax on the figures befor shipping them out to European customers which would increase their overheads and eat into profits.

The problem in the UK is that often I see the dollar price on Sideshow's website and end up paying that price in pounds meaning that on the whole, we pay much more for our figures than our US friends. I support my local dealers but often feel that it would be cheaper to buy off a Chinese dealer on eBay. They get their figures earlier than everybody else (even Sideshow) and even with import duty, it would often be cheaper than buying off Sideshow or a local dealer.

However, I am glad that unlike Hong Kong collectors who have to queue for hours just to order a figure and then again to pick one up, we in the west can just click a mouse button a few times and have our figures (regular and exclusive editions) delivered to our doorsteps.

Just got the word from my local store that the stormtroopers will be ready for pickup on friday :) the stormtroopers are Finally invading europe :)

I have both Sideshow and Hot Toys Stormtrooper. And its not worth mixing and matching.
First, Sideshow Stormtrooper armor finish is almost flat. While the Hot Toys Stormtrooper is semi gloss like the actual costume. So it wont match.
Second, for me Hot Toys Stormtrooper proportion are just perfect already as it is.

Thanks, I'll give a report as soon as I get them in.
But I'm sure there will be a lot of stuff to work out if the mixing and matching is to work...

Hi. Its dumb question time!
I was getting my trooper ready for the display case and the holster magnet popped off. I tried scuffing the back of the magnet and applied "ultra gel super glue". It still seems to be a really weak bond. Anyone here have any tips to fix it?

You may have made it harder to attach by scuffing the nickel coating on the magnet. I've used CA to attach those HT magnets a few times and it works reasonably well - but not all brands of CA are created equal. I've had some really poor performance with "Krazy Glue" brand and a few off brands, so now I only use Zap.

Thanks Pixelpiper I'll pick up a bottle of Zap next time I'm at the model shop.
I used LePage brand... not best quality. I "tried" to scuff up the back. ;D It didn't remove any of the nickel.

Back