Hot Toys Star Wars Stormtrooper

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^ Yeah, true. I love that they painted the lenses green though.

It is difficult to overlook the loose armour and floppy body of Sideshow's ST.

But not more difficult than overlooking the boy-in-suit proportions and brittle body of Medicom's.

Medi's figure is fun to play with (until it will inevitably break at the ankle or shoulder) - the RAH body really does pose well. But it can never belong in a 1/6 line-up and be taken seriously by nerdy man-children.

Hopefully the HT version will deliver everything that is good about those two but minus the shortcomings.
Nicely put. :duff

The Marmit stormie eye lenses are too small as well. Still looks stellar though.

Yeah that's what I'm seeing. And maybe the sides are a tiny bit bubblier, and the space between nose and mouth a touch larger. But overall this figure looks great. Can't wait to add this guy and the scout trooper.

Those images show a stark difference IMO, with many mismatched details in the helmet and body armor. It doesn't take away from the general quality of the product, which we'll need to have in hand to full judge. Maybe it will be an eye opener for people that blindly believe Hot Toys only does "accurate" releases. But I doubt it, some people have serious filter when it comes to Hot Toys.

Anyway, I think it looks great, but I gave up a long time ago believing that anyone would ever obtain complete accuracy with any 1/6 figure. At the end of the day, no one is going to mistake this or any other 1/6 Stormtrooper for anything else.

Those images show a stark difference IMO, with many mismatched details in the helmet and body armor. It doesn't take away from the general quality of the product, which we'll need to have in hand to full judge.

Anyway, I think it looks great, but I gave up a long time ago believing that anyone would ever obtain complete accuracy with any 1/6 figure.
Can't disagree there.

Those images show a stark difference IMO, with many mismatched details in the helmet and body armor. It doesn't take away from the general quality of the product, which we'll need to have in hand to full judge.

[...]

Anyway, I think it looks great, but I gave up a long time ago believing that anyone would ever obtain complete accuracy with any 1/6 figure. At the end of the day, no one is going to mistake this or any other 1/6 Stormtrooper for anything else.

Agreed on all counts. As images trickle out I'm still happy and down for these, but at the moment I still think the Marmit Sandtrooper (i.e. stunt) helmet looks best at this scale, although quality (finish, paint apps, plastic) on Hot Toys will most likely be higher and the overall figure is likely to be as good as it gets.

I have to qualify all my opinions given that we won't have these in hand for several months.

I'm planing to display these with Marmit and Sideshow and they're already a definite buy. Sideshow mentioned at SDCC that more troopers would be coming this year and I'm quite confident these are what they were talking about. IMO, better news than a simple Sideshow re-release.

I thought the Medicom ST was really well done for a 2006 figure. Miles better than the SS one. I can't wait to see how cool this one feels in hand.

I had all three at one time or another. The SSC had a nice feel regarding the way they strapped on the armour and separated it but the body was terrible and the armour sculpt itself was too inaccurate for my taste; I accepted the Medicoms as stylized, pricey toys and quite liked them as such, but then I got my first Marmit and sold off the Medis immediately; for my taste the proportions just didn't hold up (plus helmet was no contest) although I really liked the durable, glossy armour.

I look at photos of the upcoming Hot Toys release and the overall vibe I'm getting from the sculpt is that of a modernized Marmit stormtrooper. Not a bad thing, just not 100% on model but as Pixel said elsewhere, not likely at this scale.

Peroxide bath to clear up any yellowing - I have a bunch of stuff kicking around I need to do this with, but the Marmits I bought almost two years ago were (and are still) quite white (knock on wood). I should probably assemble them someday. ;)

Does the peroxide bath affect non white paints?

No it doesn't - it's not a solvent. But an important warning I received a long while back for the Kenner Stormtrooper - remove the screws first. Peroxide will rust them otherwise.

Peroxide bath to clear up any yellowing - I have a bunch of stuff kicking around I need to do this with, but the Marmits I bought almost two years ago were (and are still) quite white (knock on wood). I should probably assemble them someday. ;)

My Marmit sergeant was quite yellow; 7% peroxide and sunlight cleared him right up. Other Marmits I bought snowy white and they never yellowed. Think is has a lot to do with individual batches as well as storage etc.

Thanks for posting this. This method does work great. I used to buy, repair, and resell old NES systems and the Peroxide and sunlight method is what I would do. I would soak the lids for about 5-6 hours in the sun and then when they were dry, hit them with a clear acrylic spray (so that it wouldn't have to be done again).
Depending on if you plan on keeping your collectibles, and what type of finish they have, you obviously may not want to do that last step.

If the HT can stand up on its own then it'll make it at least 50% better imo.

Hear hear! Came home today to find my POS had fallen over again. Had to bite the bullet and use the stand for him, and I hate stands. Ruins the illusion. Stupid floppy rubbish SS bodies.

HT ST can't come quick enough.

Back