Hot Toys Star Wars Stormtrooper

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you write stuff like that no one will ever take you seriously again. Unless of course you have some typos and you meant to write "Marmit" and "1999"

Don't care. Marmit was good. But the Medicom one was and is still better than the SS one.

/deal with it

/deal with it

I have. Bought all three, sold only the Medicom. Yuck. Also have multiple Marmit and Sideshow Sandies and will add Hot Toys versions of them in addition to these troopers when they're available.

2006 wasn't the dark ages of 1/6 or anything, so frankly both Medicom and Sideshow should have done a lot better. At least with Sideshow's you don't have an overall misproportioned body figure. Most people can overlook its shortcomings such as the small cup.

It is difficult to overlook the loose armour and floppy body of Sideshow's ST.

But not more difficult than overlooking the boy-in-suit proportions and brittle body of Medicom's.

Medi's figure is fun to play with (until it will inevitably break at the ankle or shoulder) - the RAH body really does pose well. But it can never belong in a 1/6 line-up and be taken seriously by nerdy man-children.

Hopefully the HT version will deliver everything that is good about those two but minus the shortcomings.

Hopefully the HT version will deliver everything that is good about those two but minus the shortcomings.

At least it's priced like it should. If only the little bastards were animated like the guys in the movie Number 9 - and knew how to make (and serve me) coffee.

It is difficult to overlook the loose armour and floppy body of Sideshow's ST.

But not more difficult than overlooking the boy-in-suit proportions and brittle body of Medicom's.

Medi's figure is fun to play with (until it will inevitably break at the ankle or shoulder) - the RAH body really does pose well. But it can never belong in a 1/6 line-up and be taken seriously by nerdy man-children.

I agree. But at least the medicom's looked like a high end collectible. If the body was better woulda been much more to it.(scale don't bother me at all, but the brittle body became a joke over time) The SS one was at least a step below medicom's IMO, and looked like something Hasbro coulda done.

But alas it don't matter, we're getting the ultimate now.:yess:

So I know Marty sold out quick, but this guy is coming out at a really bad time for my wallet. Can we assume that these will still be around to buy by this time next year or do you think these will sell out around march 2015?

You only really need to worry about the ex selling out. There should be plenty of the regular versions available next year for several months after it's released.

Last edited:
So I know Marty sold out quick, but this guy is coming out at a really bad time for my wallet. Can we assume that these will still be around to buy by this time next year or do you think these will sell out around march 2015?

Marty is sold out? I'm going to check, 'cause I think you're uttering an outrageous lie!

Funny - never read the Han as TIE pilot thing, but the Academy sort of defies explanation. It's so vaguely discussed you can't tell if it's an Empire Academy for TIE pilots etc. or something more independent. I always assumed it was something the Empire took over because they talk about jumping ship or something.

The back story as assembled by Wookieepedia:

Solo was crushed at Tharen's departure, but he followed his dreams (and Tharen's wishes) and went to study at the Academy of Carida.[SUP][5][/SUP] There he would hone his skills as a pilot. Among his fellow students were future TIE Fighter ace Soontir Fel and Solo's friend Mako Spince.[SUP][10][/SUP]

Solo graduated at the top of his class with the rank of lieutenant. However, his hard-earned military career was short lived. In 5 BBY, he was dispatched to aid Commander Nyklas in duties including slaving and construction work. In this capacity, Han boarded a derelict slaving craft to find that its cargo (Wookiee children) had escaped and that a badly wounded Wookiee was in the pilot's seat. Nyklas ordered Han to skin the helpless Chewbacca, but Han refused and Nyklas swore to punish the Corellian. Shortly afterward, Han and Chewbacca were put to work on the construction of a new wing of the Imperial Hall of Heroes on Coruscant by Wookiee slaves. An enraged Chewbacca turned on Nyklas, who drew his blaster on the Wookiee. Solo refused to let Chewbacca die; he stunned his commanding officer and helped Chewbacca escape, with the assistance of the Rebel Alliance. Court-martialed and dishonorably discharged, Solo returned to smuggling with Chewbacca (who had sworn a life debt to the Corellian) at his side.[SUP][10][/SUP][SUP][11][/SUP]

Solo later reflected that even without Chewbacca he probably would have left Imperial service anyway, due to the ridiculous regulations, incompetent officers and widespread anti-alien prejudice.[SUP][10][/SUP] He later became wanted for treason, with a bounty issued to his head by the Empire.

https://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Han_Solo

Chewbacca orchestrated the escape of close to all of the slaves which consisted mostly of Wookiee children, but in the process had his ship come under fire by Imperial TIE Fighters led by Lieutenant Han Solo. Nyklas was infuriated at the loss of the Wookiee slaves and ordered Solo to kill the Wookiee (who had been rendered unconscious by the firefight). Solo refused, inciting Nyklas's fury, but the commander eventually calmed enough to realize Chewie's value as a slave.

https://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Chewbacca

The Academy of Carida was a private, and later state-supported, comprehensive military institution. It formed a triumvirate of elite military institutions along with the academies of Raithal and Corulag. The institution was known by a variety of names such as Caridan Military Academy, Carida Academy, and Academy at Carida. It was located on the Spinara Plateau. It was considered a fairly prestigious Imperial military academy, and the planet's high gravity was used to train tougher, more resilient stormtroopers.

The Academy of Carida existed around 5000 BBY, at which time its logo was inscribed in the Mascot Moon. Senatorial mandate around 220 BBY established it as a centralized training ground for planetary defense forces that maintained order across the Republic, as well as Judicial ground forces. The Academy was also responsible for training the Republic Army during the penultimate military conflicts of the Galactic Republic.

Known then as the Republic Defense Academy, its influence waned in tandem with the Republic's faltering military capability and shift towards increased reliance on the Jedi Order. When the Separatist Crisis threatened to divide the Republic, the Academy's administrators and its Caridan governors supported the Militarist senators attempting to pass the Military Creation Act, hoping to regain the prestige it once held. The role of the Academy during the Clone Wars was training non-clone warriors to supplement the Kaminoan-trained clone troopers and elite clone trooper commanders.
As Palpatine's Galactic Empire assumed the functions of the fallen Republic, a large scale military build-up brought the Academy under state control. Renamed the Imperial Military Academy, the Academy became best known as the central training facility for the Emperor's fearsome stormtroopers of the Stormtrooper Corps, a continuation of its earlier mission during the Clone Wars. As the Imperial war machine accelerated, the compound was expanded to include several other training programs for various branches of the Imperial Service, including the development of a training center for clones that, similar to the Republic's ARC troopers, were bred for greater independence and leadership. Such training included live training supplementing lessons learned through flash instruction. The Academy eventually opened the stormtrooper ranks to non-clones, with a two-year stormtrooper training program well known for its brutality, and thus drawing only the best and bravest army cadets.

The reputation of Carida became so strong that it became synonymous with military education and was known by many as simply "the Imperial Academy", despite the existence of several major and hundreds of minor state-operated Imperial academies. By the peak of the Empire, it was uncommon for any officer or specialized soldier to have not spent at least one semester at the Academy.

During the Imperial years, the Carida Academy's staff and students numbered over 150,000 total. A full four-year course at the Academy would give the Empire an average of 500,000 credits per student.
Before the Battle of Endor, the Academy was target of an attack coordinated by Rebel pilots. Only four of them survived the assault, including Telsij.[SUP][1][/SUP]

The Academy was destroyed in 11 ABY when Kyp Durron launched the Sun Crusher's resonance torpedoes into the heart of the Carida system's primary star. The resulting shockwave incinerated all planetary life, with the follow up cracking the planetary shell. Within the two-hour warning period Durron provided, it is believed that many of the Imperials escaped with much of their equipment.

https://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Academy_of_Carida

A guitar vs a gun rack. I don't think missing out on this ex will bum too many people out.

I like the mouse droid and the blaster rifle is nice for Chewie, but the gun rack? Should have come with binders. Or a TK-421 belt. Or a ... coming up blank on any other good options. Maybe an imperial trashcan will come next.

Wonder if we'll get an interrogation droid at some point. ANH Vader or Leia maybe.

From Hot Toys Collectors.

storm1.jpg

storm2.jpg

storm3.jpg

storm4.jpg

storm5.jpg

storm6.jpg

storm7.jpg

storm8.jpg

storm9.jpg

storm10.jpg

storm11.jpg

storm13.jpg

storm14.jpg

storm15.jpg

storm16.jpg

Oh so you just need to buy 2 Stormtrooper sets and 2 Han/Chewie sets to fill the rack. Nice.

I just think it's a gimmick too far, since it's such a bad replica of the real thing. HT would have needed to make part of a wall and floor to replicate the film.

That's good for me because a poor Exclusive means I'm not tempted to ordered from Sideshow.

Back