Hot Toys Star Wars Stormtrooper

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IDK if thats going to happen but we are definitely going to get ESB troopers and ST from the new prequels that may be similar but I don't see HT revisiting ANH ST for a while if ever.

Any reason you say that? I've been this close to buying a set, but have also been thinking they could re-release them since they did the Han and Chewie set.

Ok, helmet is workable, but a tiny bit small...good enough for a slim body stormtrooper. I will put some Mr. surfacer on it to hopefully smooth out the bumps, but it's a much better version. After that I'll primer the hell out of it and sand it down and see how it comes out, then paint it!!

^Can't wait to see how yours turns out. I actually bought one a while ago, but have had ZERO time to work on it.

Ok, I was able to adequately reduce the bumps from the cheap print material used "White Strong & Flexible Polished" and I'm satisfied that after a coat of paint it will pass for a Marmit Repaint custom helmet, but no where near a HT bucket. They are just too detailed and the priced together mask can't be compared to his 3D print, BUT....it's accurate and it's beautiful:

Here's the helmet with a base coat of primer, before the surfaced:

Here's the size difference...not bad..but could be enlarged.

Good work Solo_Bones. How did you get it smoothed out after priming? Also do you think there is any method that a decent caster could use to make the Helmet a little bigger? I think there on the slightly small size as well. Not by much, but the could do with a 3 or 4 % enlargement.

But if it's just a 3D print, can't they just print at "110%" and solve the problem?

Possibly... There from Shapeways. Maybe it's possible that they will take a "bespoke" order and make one slightly bigger but I'm not sure.

But if it's just a 3D print, can't they just print at "110%" and solve the problem?

I've got the guy in a conversation and he said he can try to increase the size. So by my measurements his helmet is about 2" from ear to ear at it's widest part. The HT seems to be about 2-2/16ths, if anybody has measuring calipers that would be ideal....but i'm trying to explain the slight increase in size to him over email and with pictures.

I've got some. I'll measure the HT bucket from ear to ear and post up the measurement.

Good work Solo_Bones. How did you get it smoothed out after priming? Also do you think there is any method that a decent caster could use to make the Helmet a little bigger? I think there on the slightly small size as well. Not by much, but the could do with a 3 or 4 % enlargement.

Thanks! Team effort here. I used Mr. Surface Primer 1200, which is like a rubber paint primer that's supposed to be used for seams scratches and smoothing surfaces. I'v sanded it a bit but it could use some more sanding. I've also asked if he can use another media that's a bit smoother, it will be more expensive but we won't loose as many details because I won't have to use as much Mr. Surface Primer to smooth it out. After that we should be able to do some casting....we need a good caster though.

O.k Solo, I hope you don't mind but I've used you're pic to display the part of the ears that I measured. The measurement is bang on 47mm
size.jpg

This was the measurement taken from a standard HT bucket i.e not a Sandtrooper one. I don't think there is any difference but just incase:wink1:

Hmm, actually, there is a difference between the two helmets as I'm sure you know, just not sure if it matters. I'm nervous to have him make them too big, but I guess we've already got the smaller version, so.

Anyway, no problem. I wonder if there is a difference in the ear distance between the HT and the 3D print or of that measurement is negligible? I'm wondering how we are to be sure of the increase we want. I've been looking at photos and the current size really isn't that far off.

Thoughts?

Back