Hot Toys Star Wars Stormtrooper

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crazy talk -- HT not doing an ESB version Stormtrooper and an ROTJ style Stormtrooper. That's like saying why bother making more than one style Vader. Most people can't tell you the differences -- hell, most people here can't and we're supposed to be experts.

Stormtrooper variants will be like Iron Man variants. Nothing will be spared.

Iron Man variants are completely different suits, even in the movies. Vader is another matter because the costumes are instantly recognizable between ANH and the other two movies if for nothing else than the placement of the inner robe over the shoulder armor.

I can't be the only one that noticed HT didn't specify these troopers as "ANH" or "Episode IV Stormtroopers" ;)

Anyway, maybe they'll do new trooper releases with the minor differences - I just think it's a waste of time when they could simply use what they've already got and change up the packaging and extras a bit (if at all)

I can't be the only one that noticed HT didn't specify these troopers as "ANH" or "Episode IV Stormtroopers" ;)
Not getting the joke here, Pix! Since you know they did (believe my shipper was labled "Star Wars Episode IV ANH Stormtroopers") then how could you even imagine that HT won't milk the license for Ep V and VI versions? They'd be foolish not to exploit that, I think.

Sorry, I didn't see the shipper on my single and my two-pack won't be picked up for another couple of week - it's not marked with any specific movie on the product box nor marketing materials unless I've been asleep.

Not sure about the actual art box, but the shipper is quite prominently labled as Ep IV ANH. So I definitely think that is deliberate and we'll see Ep V and VI versions down the track.

They alone recognized the short trooper. I think they notice things when cash is involved.

If they can make money on the OCDers here by making a minuscule change and calling it a different version, why wouldn't they? Wouldn't you?

If they can make money on the OCDers here by making a minuscule change and calling it a different version, why wouldn't they? Wouldn't you?

I'm just looking at the small-to-large mistakes they make on every single release to draw my hypothesis. ;) These days, a home-run and accurate figure is a rarity from Hot Toys. Chewbacca's mug anyone?

Last edited:
I'm just looking at the small-to-large mistakes they make on every single release to draw my hypothesis. ;)

Like I said, specifically because I knew this would be your response, when cash is involved they seem to know the differences.

Mistakes are common on all figures. Show me a perfect one. HT is no better. But when it comes to milking, they are the kings. Why not do a Stormtrooper 2.0 and call it ESB Stormtrooper and make the slightly narrow helmet. Squish the mold a bit, whatever. But I could see they take note of a small difference and exploit it as a new figure... where they may not notice many other small differences because they know it won't really translate into dollars (the mass group cancelation that is always promised has never come to be -- few here can part with their toys, and HT knows it).

I just think they'd do the 2.0 without changing the basic figure, just like they did with the Armory's Batman. New mouth plates, that's it. Every other part was produced via the same molds, even if the carbon-lie material used a different plastic.

If they really wanted to keep milking Troopers, they do another production run right now and continue selling them. The demand is there today.

Short trooper was prolly more a Luke/Leia comment inspired thing, but could that mean Luke would always be on the short body?
Maybe they'll do a diecast version, lol.

Another production run with stunt helmets would be nice, but that's maybe asking too much. I could see them putting the holster on the opposite side, doing a different paint app on the same helmet, releasing it as an ESB version and calling it a day.

Another production run with stunt helmets would be nice, but that's maybe asking too much. I could see them putting the holster on the opposite side, doing a different paint app on the same helmet, releasing it as an ESB version and calling it a day.

Exactly. Minor. But they should still do a second production run of the current product if they were smart.

If they really wanted to keep milking Troopers, they do another production run right now and continue selling them. The demand is there today.

They very well might, but I'm sure their factory is booked for months with all the stuff they need to deliver. They can't just jump in and retool for a fast re-run. Besides, they have trooper variants already coming soon in spacetrooper, Luketrooper and Hantrooper soon I'm sure. So any further troopers will likely come after those anyway.

Yeah, the miscast helmet from ROTJ, seems a stretch. Don't know why anyone would want that wimpy looking stormie anyhow. :yuck

Many Stormtrooper figures or statues now have a mix of ROTJ and ANH armor and helmet. Just look at 1/10 Koto and 1/10 and 1/5 Attakus Stormies (but this goes for other lines including GG or Hasbro). Armor is ROTJ and helmets are more ANH. Medicom helmet being so narrow looks more like ROTJ, minor frown repaint and you have ROTJ lid (body is more ANH though). ROTJ has its own appeal, and no company should do the figures totally accurate and wonky like screen used.

They very well might, but I'm sure their factory is booked for months with all the stuff they need to deliver. They can't just jump in and retool for a fast re-run. Besides, they have trooper variants already coming soon in spacetrooper, Luketrooper and Hantrooper soon I'm sure. So any further troopers will likely come after those anyway.

Ht will make new Stormies in the future for sure. The market is too big to pass on such a chance. The easiest for them would be to make ESB Stormies from the same mold just different paint apps on helmet. New repaint helmet = new Stormtrooper (ESB) = more money in HT's pockets = fans not angry to see ANH Stormies released again and lose value directly (some fans also cherish limited editions)

They already have the ESB stormie 99% done. Sandtrooper face + the rest from the Stormtrooper. A five minute phone call to the factory to tell them to change the color on the helmet and done.

I know there was a hero helmet in ESB, but I would much prefer a stunt helmet. I would have liked stunt helmets for the ANH troopers as well.

They already have the ESB stormie 99% done. Sandtrooper face + the rest from the Stormtrooper. A five minute phone call to the factory to tell them to change the color on the helmet and done.

I know there was a hero helmet in ESB, but I would much prefer a stunt helmet. I would have liked stunt helmets for the ANH troopers as well.

Exactly. HT could also decide to make a set of Stunt ANH Stormtroopers, besides the Hero ones we already got.

In the end I think they will milk this A LOT!

I thought maybe they would change their packaging for each movie, as the first releases were all labeled "STAR WARS" - but the new Boba Fett release throws a wrench into that because it's using the same logo/labeling format and doesn't include "RETURN OF THE JEDI"

I received my first Hot Toys figure today. It looks great but the "finish" is chipped right in the middle of the helmet (at the "nose"). Anyone had this issue? I contacted the seller so I'll see that he can do. I am disappointed because the figure looks great but at that price I expected a better quality control. Here are some pictures, I don't know if you can see it in the pictures but there is a small black line where the finish was removed.

TrooperLeft.jpg
TrooperRight.jpg

Back