Hot Toys Star Wars Stormtrooper

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SSC is hardly knocking their recent figures out of the park. It is unfair to compare released figures with unreleased prototypes as well.

No one is comparing released and unreleased. Look at only the proto photos if you want for both companies. The point is that HT has lowered their bar while SS has stepped it up. Like I said, people will always give HT a pass, no matter how much twisting and turning needs to be done to get there. As far as I'm concerned, both companies produce some great products, but not every release is great, and I don't restrict my appreciation nor buying to any one producer.

Just ordered my stormie can't wait should arrive next week, also looking at the scout trooper and speeder bike bundle.......

No one is comparing released and unreleased. Look at only the proto photos if you want for both companies. The point is that HT has lowered their bar while SS has stepped it up. Like I said, people will always give HT a pass, no matter how much twisting and turning needs to be done to get there. As far as I'm concerned, both companies produce some great products, but not every release is great, and I don't restrict my appreciation nor buying to any one producer.

I agree with that point, but I think a big part of the reason why Hot Toys might get a pass is because they've earned it.

I happen to share your opinion on the upcoming Han Solo as far as the headsculpt, but even if it isn't refined before release, good lord (!) the outfit looks amazing. I think that might be part of the reason for Hot Toys getting a pass, as well. They just do everything so well. If the likeness is off, the paintwork will still be stellar, as well as outfit and accessories, in all liklihood. This extends to QC, also. I've only ever had two QC issues with a Hot Toys product (on MANY figures):

Their glue sucks.
Their batteries suck.

Other than that, Hot Toys' level of consistent quality is unrivaled in this hobby. Even if their portraits can be hit-and-miss. The type of goodwill a company generates on consistency, alone, makes their fans likely to stand by them through thick and thin. I know you understand well about business and marketing and economics and promotion, so I imagine you get what I'm saying.

BLASPHEMY!

016.jpg

021.jpg

That looks pretty good Rubio... not quite the right Han (as it does look a bit older, as an ESB head should) but definitely fits the quality.

Ok something just possesed me to wake up at 2:30am and order this, ok back to sleep now

You finally came to your senses... it's a set you should not miss out on :lecture

It's funny because SSC had promo pics that showed Han and Luke Stormtroopers were going to be different heights but when they arrived it was a different story.

Yeah, that was some BS from Sideshow. They clearly were aware (like all of us) that Luke needed to be shorter, but rather than put a bit of extra effort into the release they tried to pawn it off like they did. That was one of the shadier things I've seen Sideshow do. It's one thing to not address the height and be up front about it, but to try and deceive customers like that is bad.

It's funny because SSC had promo pics that showed Han and Luke Stormtroopers were going to be different heights but when they arrived it was a different story.
View attachment 175586

They were always the same size. Luke is standing a good 2-3 inches behind Han, it's creating the illusion that Luke is shorter. This is the one case where Sideshow was intentionally deceptive in their photography and were rightly called out for it.

That looks pretty good Rubio... not quite the right Han (as it does look a bit older, as an ESB head should) but definitely fits the quality.

You finally came to your senses... it's a set you should not miss out on :lecture

Yeah, that was some BS from Sideshow. They clearly were aware (like all of us) that Luke needed to be shorter, but rather than put a bit of extra effort into the release they tried to pawn it off like they did. That was one of the shadier things I've seen Sideshow do. It's one thing to not address the height and be up front about it, but to try and deceive customers like that is bad.
I have most my orders for this planned for the end of the year, including another trooper due in September, couldn't bring my self to buy the two pack, too many $$$ in one hit, but the urge took over me at 2:00 am lol

Tough crowd in here.:rotfl

You're right, it looks more like Henry Winkler. :lol

But in all seriousness, thanks to Rubio for posting that, I've been wondering what that would look like. I'm guessing it would need a replacement HT neck, maybe cut down a bit.

The shorter stormtrooper has a shorter neck peg, by the way.

I'm about to embark on further bashing and customizing. Because I can never leave well enough alone. As I've mentioned ad nauseam, I'm very happy with the HT troopers; that said the helmet isn't perfect and we all know it. :lecture

I'm thinking a re-painted Marmit bucket and a human head could push one of these into epic territory.

I've ordered some more Vallejo paints to commence attempts at colour matching. The tube stripes are going to be a problem. I'm thinking it should be possible to print them out on decal paper? That's a thing, right?

While I'm at it I may as well cut out the Marmit eyes and replace them with dark green gels.

Finally...I'm curious to put that HT armour on a Soldier Story body. The arms don't hang close to the body in a neutral position, partly due to the rigid and slightly wide bicep armour, but also possibly due to the design of their trooper body, haven't stripped one yet to see.

I'm going to be busy for a while. :FREAK:

I'm also slowly cutting my trooper population (already!) but only because I got tired of messing around and I'm making space for some 1:1 stuff. Like a boss.

And maybe also because my girlfriend said I was allowed. :rolleyes:

Yes. That is SS Hoth Han Exclusive head sculpt. Looks decent. Thank you for the pics. Gives me lots of ideas.

Back