Hot Toys should do Reeve Superman BEFORE Keaton Batman!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Captain Britain - since you initiated the contact with the Reeve foundation - I'd send them a pic of the HT Marlon Brando. If they're thinking that a toy is beneath the dignity of the foundation, they might be swayed that Brando has already been done, and done expertly.

That's a great idea - thanks!

I'd take a Reeve Superman any day over a Keaton batman.

Not that we will ever see one, but i feal the same way. Glad WB moved on from the old crappy batman films, all four of them. ( It's my opinion Damnit :lol)

I'd love a Reeves Superman however. :)

I haven't heard anything from the Reeve Foundation yet - I'll wait until next week until trying again - but Hot Toys got back to me. I'm sure this is little more than a standard response, but for what it's worth, here's how they replied to my question asking if they had any plans to make a Chrostopher Reeve Superman figure:

Hello,

Thanks for your valuable comment. I'll forward to our Creative Dept. and have discussion on it.

Please keep visiting our official website for more update news.

Thank you!

Regards,

GT / Hot Toys

Now, as I said, this is 99.9% just a standard response to such questions (like their Creative Department has never considered it before!) but there would be no harm in following this up with many, many emails from collectors on this board! I'd suggest something like the following:

Subject line: Christopher Reeve Superman Figure

Dear Sir/ Madam,
I'm a Collector of 1/6 scale action figures and a fan of the wonderful figures that Hot Toys have been making. I recently read on the Sideshow Collectors forum (www.sideshowcollectors.com) that your Creative Department has discussed the possibility of producing a figure of Christopher Reeve as Superman!

I would be very grateful if you could pass on my support for this idea to your Creative Department - I would certainly buy it and I know there are many, many collectors who would share my enthusiasm for such a project.

I look forward to seeing a Movie Masterpiece Christopher Reeve figure advertised on your site for pre-order!

Yours faithfully,
...etc

Or write your own. It can't hurt - a load of emails with 'Christopher Reeve Superman figure' in the subject line might, just might, leave some sort of impression, or help encourage someone at HT to try and sort out the legal problems... At any rate, an avalanche of (polite!) emails on this subject will have some kind of impact.

You can either contact them through a form on their website at https://www.hottoys.com.hk/contact.php
or through the email address [email protected]

Would love a HT Reeve as Superman. Still don't understand why no body has ever released a version. Maybe with the DCD statue comeing out we are a step closer.

NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo.

I saw keaton on "the dream team" and thought hes funny as hell.

This would be a killer figure, for sure! I don't want to get anybody down, but there's an obvious trend with super hero figures. With all of these characters being "updated" or "reimagined" the trend seems to be move forward, not backward. It seems like the earlier incarnations (Reeve, Keaton, etc.) are disavowed in a sense when it comes to heroes, as if the "current" version is the only version. I'm just guessing, basing on what seems logical from my observations. If there's a "new" film version of a hero, don't count on anything prior to ever be made.

Thanks to Captain Britain for persisting with a campaign very dear to me - I've lobbied for a Reeve Superman figure for many years (and own one of Kris Meadows rare portrait dolls) but now having seen the level of detail HT bestow upon their figures it proves beyond doubt they are the only company who would do it justice.
We are closer now than ever before. Not since the Mego figure range in '78 have we had a line based upon the daddy of all Superhero movies and back then there is evidence to suggest Reeve was indeed prissy about the use of his likeness and refused at first (this was back in the day before real money changed hands for this sort of thing) so limited licensing meant Mego could only use the comic based characters but went ahead and commisioned sculpts of the movie representations anyway -

Mego_WGSH_Superman.jpg

Although somewhat primative by todays standards, they have nostalgic charm and remain the only 'official' line based on the movie.

Cut to twenty years later and with frustration nobody has seen fit to modernize the line I went to (draws breath) Andgor Toys to have a custom Reeve made. After literally two years of waiting and a battle of wills/emails I recieved this -

Andgor_Fig-1.jpg

Which was passable at best. The headsculpt reminded me of Richard Hatch and the costume was laughable. I believe Andgor listed the head as an expensive custom for years later before mercifully dissapearing.

Still not satisfied, the garage kit released later was a nice piece to accurize -

STM_Garage_Kit.jpg

And another long wait ensued before finally my prayers were answered with this -

DSC_0629.jpg

DSC_0631.jpg

The aforementioned Meadows creation.

By far the most significant thing to happen in this campaign only happened this year, however, with the likeness rights finally granted to DC from the Reeve children for the DC Direct statue released next year -

SM-Reeve-1.jpg

Although a dissapointing start, this is the moment we've been waiting for as now DC/WB can potentially use Reeve visage for any future merchandising with a portion of the proceeds rightly going to the Reeve foundation. Hot Toys NEEDS to make this happen - could you imagine how sharp it would look based on their interpretation of Brando?!?!

DSC_0599.jpg

HT_Brando2-1.jpg

My apologies for the long post/history lesson but as I stated - this is the grail for me - we've all got one....

:)

I didn't even know hot toys would be making a Keaton Batman???... did I miss something here? or did I just bumped into a rumor on the board?

My apologies for the long post/history lesson but as I stated - this is the grail for me - we've all got one....:)

No that was a good post. It highlighted how much a Hot toys Reeve Supes would kick arse in light of previous offerings.

He and Keaton Batman figures would be grails of mine too - granted I have many grails ever since getting into 1/6th.

I didn't even know hot toys would be making a Keaton Batman???... did I miss something here? or did I just bumped into a rumor on the board?

Don't think you missed anything. I'm sure there'd be about 6 seperate threads if a Keaton Batman had been announced.

Back