Hot Toys Sandtrooper MMS 295

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks man. Whenever I do research I see you all over the place on SW cosplay boards. I just saw you on a thread I was reading about identifying the droid part that “Look sir, droids” holds up. [emoji2]

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am interested in accuracy especially for 1/1 items, and have been on boards that discuss such things for more than a decade. :)

I am interested in accuracy especially for 1/1 items, and have been on boards that discuss such things for more than a decade. :)

Yeah, the cosplay community is as bonkers about accuracy as I am, they’re an invaluable resource to tap into for info. I go to all the usual places every time I work on upgrading a figure.

I half thought about submitting one of my Sandies for “deployment” with the Mos Isley PD, to see if it meets their standards. I’d be curious to see if they could immediately tell it’s not a person in a costume. People mistake my ANH Vader for a person in a costume all the time when the see pics of it (I consider that the highest compliment). I mostly want them to verify the accuracy of the figure, because if it get’s their stamp of approval I’ll know it’s perfect.

Yeah, the cosplay community is as bonkers about accuracy as I am, they’re an invaluable resource to tap into for info. I go to all the usual places every time I work on upgrading a figure.

I half thought about submitting one of my Sandies for “deployment” with the Mos Isley PD, to see if it meets their standards. I’d be curious to see if they could immediately tell it’s not a person in a costume. People mistake my ANH Vader for a person in a costume all the time when the see pics of it (I consider that the highest compliment). I mostly want them to verify the accuracy of the figure, because if it get’s their stamp of approval I’ll know it’s perfect.

Hahaha that's a hilarious idea, though you'll need to photoshop your head on the figure for a "buckets off" shot, as all submissions require a helmet off shot. What would be really funny is trying to pass it off with one of the HT faces, they'll be like wow this guy kinda looks like harrison ford haha.

and yeah, jkno is a staple in star wars research community. He's helped me over the years. I'm mostly on 501st forums, therpf, rebelscum and tdh.

Have you seen Solo_Bones’s helmets? The Hot Toys buckets don’t seem as convincing compared with Solo’s and even the Marmit ones. At the very least anyone with the HT figure will immediately recognize the HT helmet and know it’s a figure.

Have you seen Solo_Bones’s helmets? The Hot Toys buckets don’t seem as convincing compared with Solo’s and even the Marmit ones. At the very least anyone with the HT figure will immediately recognize the HT helmet and know it’s a figure.

No, I don’t think I have seen his helmets. What is off about the Hot Toys helmets? I thought they looked great, there’s all kinds of very minor details that they made different from the standard ANH trooper helmets, so that was enough for me to not immediately look into any accuracy issues. Now I’m super curious [emoji1]

Oh, wait, you mean his re-weathered helmets. I thought you were talking about a totally new sculpt or something, my bad.

I really like Solo_bones work, but I don’t think I can afford to buy stuff that’s within my ability to make on my own. I plan to re-weather my helmets myself. I’m basing the pattern on 4 helmets from the movie.

Now that I have everything I need for the shoulder straps, the most difficult stuff will be rebuilding and sourcing parts for four unique duty packs. The stock one only needs a little love, but the other 3 have details I can only find, that are remotely accurate on the Sideshow Sandies, but I don’t want to spend $100+ for an entire figure to get 1 or 2 small parts from the backpack, that I will likely have to modify anyway.

So now I’m just trying to find stuff in everyday life, in the hardware store, or on eBay that is similar enough to customize into what I need.

I may reach out to Jon de Guzman to make me metal pack frames that are more accurate. There’s several things off about the frame, not to mention how incredibly fragile it is. I just need to get some accurate schematics and photos of the Karrimor backpack frame and the exact differences between the stock frame and the changes Lucasfilm made to them for production.

The only other things I need help with are a couple leather ammo pouches that I can’t find 1/6 scale versions of. So I’m going to have Gustavo Ponce make those for me. I just need to work it into the budget.

No, I don’t think I have seen his helmets. What is off about the Hot Toys helmets? I thought they looked great, there’s all kinds of very minor details that they made different from the standard ANH trooper helmets, so that was enough for me to not immediately look into any accuracy issues. Now I’m super curious [emoji1]

I believe his were printed from shapeways. Look more like they stepped off the screen compared to the HT helmets (which are still excellent, but you can always tell it’s the HT helmet).

Here’s my Variants...and custom sandtrooper squad leader.

View attachment 430801

View attachment 430802

I believe his were printed from shapeways. Look more like they stepped off the screen compared to the HT helmets (which are still excellent, but you can always tell it’s the HT helmet).

Just did some digging through the forums and found that he did do new helmets, that must be why he was selling the hot toys ones.

Just posted on the thread asking if they are still available. [emoji1696]

Yeah, I did quite a lot of work on my HT Sandie helmet (resculpting eye lenses, repainting ect) and it still doesn't look great. The sculpt is actually slightly more accurate than the HT stormie however.

Just did some digging through the forums and found that he did do new helmets, that must be why he was selling the hot toys ones.

Just posted on the thread asking if they are still available. [emoji1696]

Yeah, I was wondering why you were buying so many of the HT Sandie helmets. They're a total pain to me. :lol

Solo's helmets are not without difficulty though - they are slightly rough and I've actually set mine aside because it'll be its own separate project (I thought it'd be simpler, but its more like its own little full custom project.)

Yeah, I did quite a lot of work on my HT Sandie helmet (resculpting eye lenses, repainting ect) and it still doesn't look great. The sculpt is actually slightly more accurate than the HT stormie however.

Yeah, I was wondering why you were buying so many of the HT Sandie helmets. They're a total pain to me. :lol

Solo's helmets are not without difficulty though - they are slightly rough and I've actually set mine aside because it'll be its own separate project (I thought it'd be simpler, but its more like its own little full custom project.)

I haven’t actually bought any additional helmets, I just have the ones that came with the loose figures I bought.

The only issue I can see for me with Solo’s helmets are that I’m not a very good painter and I don’t have an air brush, so getting the nice, smooth, uniform paint will be a challenge, and I’m awful with decals, so the blue lines will be impossible for me.

Overall the Hot Toys sculpt looks 90% there when I compare it to movie stills, there’s only two factors that hold it back from 100%, the indents under the eyes are less pronounced, and the eyes are very slightly set further apart on the Hot Toys sculpt. Those two factors are very subtle to my eye, and the amount of effort required to get an unpainted and rough 3D printed sculpt to look like it has the same fit and finish as a mass produced Hot Toys sculpt seems more difficult. If the choice is between all the work required to get the 3D print to look screen accurate with my meager skill level, or living with 2 very minor inaccuracies, it looks like an easy choice to me.

I still want the Solo_Bones sculpts, because they really look perfect, and I plan on investing in a nice airbrush sometime, so I may eventually get good enough to do Solo’s helmets the justice they deserve, and it will be nice to have them handy at that point.

Did some quick work on my Sandie Sargent tonight. Sourced a couple parts off a Sideshow Sargent’s pack to make a nicer #5, “Filter Pack.” There’s a few more pics in the Sandtrooper Sergeant thread.

33eed7d4f39382e025fa93f1f4f1730a.jpg
76e7d0ca8f9554a96d06642a42183f5e.jpg

More WIP, Pack #5, “Filter Pack” pics.

Today I worked on the canteen at the bottom of the pack, otherwise affectionately called the “stinger” by the cosplayer community.

Explanation of what I did, and a few more pics in the Sandtrooper Sergeant thread.

516d7ac41a000fcb06ec2a856d6be372.jpg
2b372d181d3bd5a4a1275bf846743137.jpg

Awesome!

Got mine up again after the move. My favorite HT figures.

ccb4fc277b52257ec82f4ea53fef55d0.jpg
2df1329b5be18dee9f7af9d073eb5c84.jpg

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Nice shots. I decided to go for a similar look on mine, with the heavy blaster slung over his shoulder. Just because both weapons are way too cool not to have on display. :)

20190108_182059.jpg

These guys continue to be my favourite Hot Toys figures. Also because he was my first Hot Toys figure.

Just so iconic, lived in universe look and just awesome helmet design etc.

This is probably my favorite HT Trooper as well. The myriad of accessories, and the dirt effect on his armor combined with his sand dio base, really help him stand out and give him life.

While I do love the Rogue One classic Stormtroopers I must say that the asymmetry of the original Star Wars trilogies Troopers has a most wonderful grittiness to them.

Back