1/6 Hot Toys ROTS - COMMANDER CODY

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Then that seems backwards. How does the inhibitor implant allow you more options?

In 2002, I understood clones to be better than robots because they could do humany things. They have some range of thinking within their parameters. Being clones, you'd think they would all be exactly the same in looks and mannerisms and even actions, but then how could any one clone command a battalion? How could a clone decide to shoot one target while another shoots someone else? There is certainly an inherent difference, variations, some level of individuality to allow each clone to be singular. I never viewed their actions as villainous from their perspective of course -- no villain is villainous from their own perspective. Think Thanos. But from the viewers perspective, or the character you are sympathizing with, those cold actions can be interpreted as villainous. That's all I'm saying with Cody. He's a villain -- not because he thinks he is, but because of his actions. Hell, Vader doesn't think he's a villain -- but he is.

That’s no different than having different tools for different purposes, like handguns or automatic rifles. They were still machines, always ready to accept whatever input, without question.

And while the chip was what made them less agressive than the template, they weren’t controlled by it unless specifically activated so they would follow an order without the possibility of denial. Even then, precisely because they were free to develop as human beings, not all clones reacted the same once they fulfilled the order. Some were indeed cold blooded about it, others believed the Jedi were traitors while others questioned why they would follow an order like that.

So it doesn’t even contradict Sith. I’m not aware of any story giving an insight into Cody as he received the order, so it’s easy to read that scene as it was originally portrayed: Cody accepted the order without question and he would’ve done the same with or without chip. Meanwhile, Rex was able to remove the chip, and lived to be an old man who fought in the Battle of Endor.

I love the sculpt, not getting my hopes up it will arrive looking exactly like that, but I am hoping for something close. Cody is one of my favorite older figures, excited to get an update.

That’s no different than having different tools for different purposes, like handguns or automatic rifles. They were still machines, always ready to accept whatever input, without question.

I think that analogy is not answering the question at hand. This conversation started when I suggested that Cody would be considered a villain. Tool or no tool; handgun or automatic rifle. It is the perception of your actions that dictates whether you are a hero or a villain in a story. Cody is a heroic character that turns into a villain. He ends a villain, a traitor no less to our dear hero, so I consider him a villain. If he was seen later trying to secretly aid Kenobi in escape, then he would be back to being a heroic character again.

The Terminator is a tool, and is also considered a villain. The shark in Jaws is considered the villain, even though he's just a fish doing his natural thing.

I really don't know enough about the cartoons or the retconned chip stuff to speak on it in terms of how it affects the clones.

Last edited:
I think that analogy is not answering the question at hand. This conversation started when I suggested that Cody would be considered a villain. Tool or no tool; handgun or automatic rifle. It is the perception of your actions that dictates whether you are a hero or a villain in a story. Cody is a heroic character that turns into a villain. He ends a villain, a traitor no less to our dear hero, so I consider him a villain. If he was seen later trying to secretly aid Kenobi in escape, then he would be back to being a heroic character again.

The Terminator is a tool, and is also considered a villain. The shark in Jaws is considered the villain, even though he's just a fish doing his natural thing.

Well, I replied just to make it clear that there were two distinct versions of the reason the clones complied to order 66 and that one suplanted the other in the official continuity of SW, then we got into the (IMO) interesting question of which version was better.

I wasn’t commenting on whether Cody belongs with the villains or not. Whether by choice, programming or training, he opposed one of the protagonists of the film and that makes him an antagonist, and since Kenobi was clearly a hero, that makes Cody a villain.

(Though he would look infinitely cooler besides Obi-Wan than besides other villlains)

Well, as I added above, I don't know my Clone Wars history very well beyond the movies and I come from a generation that did a lot more interpreting of things before the internet and multitudes of additional history and the constant retconning, so I tend to make assumptions based on the films that may not be entirely correct over time as new information in other forms comes to light. Sometimes what I believe Star Wars to be is so far gone from what it has become. :lol Such is history.

Anyway, I did like that the cartoons got more involved with the personality aspects of being a clone.

In general though, I view the creation of a clone army as a bad thing, formed by the Emperor for ill intent -- tools for ill purpose if you will -- so for me, the clones will always be villains. Some may be able to redeem themselves though, as I suppose Rex did (but I know nothing about Rex).

Well, as I added above, I don't know my Clone Wars history very well beyond the movies and I come from a generation that did a lot more interpreting of things before the internet and multitudes of additional history and the constant retconning, so I tend to make assumptions based on the films that may not be entirely correct over time as new information in other forms comes to light. Sometimes what I believe Star Wars to be is so far gone from what it has become. :lol Such is history.

Anyway, I did like that the cartoons got more involved with the personality aspects of being a clone.

To me that the Clone Wars series, fleshed out the Clones and made Anakin seem like a bad-ass heading towards some poor choices due to his anger, rather than a crybaby. I love the Clone Wars, but the chip stuff was some heinous shark jumping. Its twice as bad if you read the RotS novelization.

On one hand, it’s as it should be. If you need countless TV episodes, novels and comics to explain the movies, it’s some weak storytelling.

On the other, it’s Star Wars. In the first few minutes of Empire the Force went from some mild manipulation and increased awareness into full blown magic superpowers, and that’s without getting into turning Anakin and Vader the same person, which blew a hole into the continuity that could never be fully patched.

The first novelization provided some backstory about the Empire and how it came to be (which was surprisingly close to the prequels) and the third one said Uncle Owen was Obi-Wan’s brother.

So Star Wars was literally built on retcons, contradictions and expansion beyond the movies.

Thing is HT can improve bad prototype sculpt and they rarely *** up already amazing prototype sculpt, it will be likely just a bit tuned down on details in the end, but the same quality overall.

BD0B0796-BB98-440E-8DB6-667A660BCF80.jpeg

Battle droids are not that behind, and if you did pay attention to ROTS line up, Obiwan and now these Utapau Clones...General Grievous is just the matter of time.

Ah crap... Yeah I need these two. Maybe put the SS up at the bay

I went on eBay last night to see the flood of Sideshow Cody’s. Kinda crazy the asking price people have it listed at. Why would someone pay $500 for a Sideshow Cody when they can get a new HotToys for half the price is beyond me.

Back