Hot Toys ROTJ Emperor Palpatine

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everyone's right on with the criticisms of the sculpt. It's a solid effort but even with the new lighting and better hood futz (which really improves it) it still doesn't reach the heights that a Hot Toys Emperor should be at.

But who would have thought the Emperor would be so hard to nail? I would have assumed it would be an easy one to get looking close to right, but clearly not. The onscreen expression is often very theatrical, so is tough to make not cartoony and unrealistic.

And yet SS was able to do a better job capturing his look years before. Go figure...:dunno

I have no doubt anyone who finds flaw in the Sideshow sculpt could have valid argument, but for me, every photos where I tried to recreate the exact look from publicity stills or the movie, I was able to replicate the lighting and feel like I was looking at shots of McDiarmid, as much as any of the best HT figures I've owned and more so than any other Star Wars figure I ever owned.

When I look at all the recent sculpts from HT (Starlord Vol 2, Poe and JL Batman Affleck) I really wonder what happened here.

I guess it's aalso more which look in the movie they went for here. The wrong one for broad display options imo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There's nothing wrong with the emotional expression they opted for, the issue is they didn't capture McDiarmid's ROTJ likeness as well as other portraits they've done.

This looks like the Emperor from the end of ROTS, not ROTJ.
This is my feeling as well. Its the face he makes when he is laughing at yoda.

On a side note, the SSC was under $100. If hot toys tries to charge $200 for this I am not buying it.

Well, looks like this guy is moving into 2018. Would have liked to have seen him on pre-order this year.

However the positive side of me says that they are using this time to tweak the sculpt. So take your time HT, take your time !!

It's alright. 2018 releases are already super stacked. I'm actually thankful or else I couldn't preorder lol.

If there will be no improvement on the sculpt I'll easily pass on the Hot Toys Emperor, for now the Sideshow EX looks better.

This needs to be released already:gah: It's already going to be 2019 before this ships even if it was released today. I imagine that the chair could delay it longer than a typical release:gah:

Personally I’m okay with a slow and steady release schedule rather than having a bunch of open orders at a time. I still need to order Vader from The Empire Strikes Back.

Back