Hot Toys Rogue One Vader MMS388

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love rogue one vader. I'll be making a custom vader out of my deluxe ss
9be21273a039348f029d1a98fcb19539.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I can see a custom unmask headsculpt, was it made by yourself? I want to get one!

I just got a ANH V2 head

First thing I notice is that the tusk tubes are painted black while they are gunmetal on the RO.

It's a small detail but it looks kind of off. all pics of the real Vader helmet has the tusk tubs gunmetal on a black background

Yeah, tusk tubes should all be gunmetal. The image below has an accurate ANH paint pattern EXCEPT for the black tusk tubes. Those should be gunmetal.

FIejpDZ.jpg

EDIT

here’s comparison photos of two ANH replicas. The important takeaway is they share the same totally accurate (as far as I know) ANH paint pattern, which that drawing above, while close, isn’t totally right. A LOT more gunmetal. Only a few selec patches of black.

SLANHmaskvseFXANHLegend1d.jpg

I thought so... when I look at the ANH V2 head it's like all the colors are inverted or something . Not sure I can get used to that.
I'm surprised I didn't read any complaints about that in the various threads I read here

I spent 60$ just to check it out but I might stick to the RO head

On the other hand the ANH V2 Cod Piece is a lot better than the RO and really improves the RO figure overall. And it makes the belt easier to place properly

Unless there's an an accurate re-sculpt for the RotJ 1:6 Vader, I guess the RO with ANH V2 Cod Piece will be my permanent Vader

What's your source on his right (our left) tusk tube being gunmetal as well? I've never heard of this, curious to hear where this is coming from. Looking at screenshots, the two tubes appear to be two different colors to me, but with screenshots it's of course always hard to tell if it's due to lighting or not.

* not worth wasting my time.

Attachments

• 20180919_190938.jpg
    20180919_190938.jpg
    727.1 KB · Views: 191
  • 20180919_191021.jpg
    20180919_191021.jpg
    363.5 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
Same as for example the uneven cheeks, people think its hot toys messing up when its actually them paying attention to detail. Also things look different on screen from lighting, coloring etc then the actual props, most props are made to achieve the on screen look, thats why Vaders mask is painted silver and black in a checkered manner, its hard to light something that is just all black, especially when its one of your main characters face.

I'm fairly sure all the Hot toys Vaders have accurate paintjobs, the question is if its prop or screen accurate :dunno

Well, all the super knowledgeable guys in the 1:1 prop collector circles seem to think the photo I posted (NOT the diagram) is the correct paint pattern for ANH.

It’s certainly how my ANH helmet from Efx is painted (though officallly licensed replicas aren’t always correct, so that’s certainly not definitive)

DTqzTRE.jpg

7LJk5ZF.jpg

The tubes are black . Section of photo taken of actual ANH faceplate.

Well, assuming that IS the real ANH facemask (there was only one as far as anyone can tell) it depends on when the photos were taken. The facemask was repainted AT LEAST once after filming.

As for the HT ANH helmets, it’s not just the tubes. While it may still be debatable that the tubes on one side might be black or gunmetal, there’s no doubt that the other side tubes ARE gunmetal. But then there’s also the issue of the eye sockets (gunmetal on the figure, black on the real deal), one of the triangular shapes between the tubes (should be black and isn’t), and some other panels (sides of the mouth, for example) that are black on the figure but should be gunmetal. There’s lots of innaccuracies on HT ANH 1 & 2 helmet paint jobs.

Interestingly, from what I can see in pics of the HT R1 helmet, it seems to be spot on with the black/gunmetal pattern.

EDIT

There’s tons of good reference on the propden forums. Unfortunately most of their image galleries are uploaded to photobucket. While a huge pain to work with, amazingly the images still work. Looking through their plethora of on set photos and screenshots, I’m convinced the Efx paint scheme is totally right for ANH (and hot toys got it all wrong on both ANH figures)

Here’s one pic that is a strong contender for all tusk tubes being gunmetal.

G2aFTID.png

Actually it's not so much the tubes being black on the ANH V1 and 2 figure but more the triangular space in between the tubes being gunmetal when it should be black , so it looks like there's 2 very contrasting black lines running on the side of the head and it looks bad

And also the gunmetal color on the prop helmet is supposed to look "black" on screen. It's just there to enhance the contrast between the helmet facets. The Hot Toys RO helmet captures this perfectly but the ANH looks way too "grey"

I asked in the other vader thread...is the V1 ANH vader gunmetal the right shade? I'm wanting to repaint the colors the correct pattern and it seems too dark

Actually it's not so much the tubes being black on the ANH V1 and 2 figure but more the triangular space in between the tubes being gunmetal when it should be black , so it looks like there's 2 very contrasting black lines running on the side of the head and it looks bad

And also the gunmetal color on the prop helmet is supposed to look "black" on screen. It's just there to enhance the contrast between the helmet facets. The Hot Toys RO helmet captures this perfectly but the ANH looks way too "grey"

Well, that triangle space should be black on his right side, but not his left. That space (and the tubes) should be gunmetal on the left.

But yes, the ultimate effect of two dark lines against a lighter background is really what jumps out as inherently wrong.

The fact is, while it was meant to look black, it wasn’t (and often didn’t). It shouldn’t be so hard to get the paint scheme correct (or at least much closer) with all the info out there.

Well, assuming that IS the real ANH facemask (there was only one as far as anyone can tell) it depends on when the photos were taken. The facemask was repainted AT LEAST once after filming.

As for the HT ANH helmets, it’s not just the tubes. While it may still be debatable that the tubes on one side might be black or gunmetal, there’s no doubt that the other side tubes ARE gunmetal. But then there’s also the issue of the eye sockets (gunmetal on the figure, black on the real deal), one of the triangular shapes between the tubes (should be black and isn’t), and some other panels (sides of the mouth, for example) that are black on the figure but should be gunmetal. There’s lots of innaccuracies on HT ANH 1 & 2 helmet paint jobs.

Interestingly, from what I can see in pics of the HT R1 helmet, it seems to be spot on with the black/gunmetal pattern.

EDIT

There’s tons of good reference on the propden forums. Unfortunately most of their image galleries are uploaded to photobucket. While a huge pain to work with, amazingly the images still work. Looking through their plethora of on set photos and screenshots, I’m convinced the Efx paint scheme is totally right for ANH (and hot toys got it all wrong on both ANH figures)

G2aFTID.png

Trust me, the pictures of the faceplate I posted ARE of the original ANH mask.

Not trying to be a jerk, but what proof do you offer? It’s a cropped closeup. It looks rough enough that I certainly believe it could be genuine. But you are, after all, a stranger on the internet. Forgive me for not being overtly trusting. (again, I’m not arguing for or against it’s veracity, just stating that I hesitate to take anyone’s word online without supporting evidence)

But my main argument remains: assuming it IS real, WHEN was the photo taken? It’s documented that the mask was repainted AT LEAST once (maybe more times) after production. And there’s no guarantee they duplicated the original production paint pattern.

All the evidence I’ve seen of the mask DURING FILMING is that the tubes on both sides were gunmetal.

The tubes are black . Section of photo taken of actual ANH faceplate.

View attachment 427178

View attachment 427179
Was that not repainted?...as it looks too clean looking...

EDIT

G2aFTID.png

The color of the tubing is debatable....we do know that the mask was initially all black and that the gunmetal/grey was painted on after.

In some scenes it looks black but in others it looks more grey..especially in the early Tantive scenes...so maybe either the gunmetal paint got wiped off or painted on..

View attachment 427267

Back