Hot Toys Rogue One Vader MMS388

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s amazing how much this thread has kicked up and gotten so much love .Hail RO !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me the stock ANH cape is too big and bulkly....the R1 version is better scaled to how it looks in ANH...

View attachment 424376

I agree. I hope anyway, I got the R1 cape and tunic for that very reason.

What was wrong with the tunic? The pleats? I pulled and ruined them, hoping it looks more like bunched material.

That’s one thing I don’t really like about the tunic as well for the v1 ANH; the tunic is a bit too straight and doesn’t really drape too well. It didn’t have perfect pleats in a row like the R1 tunic, but it wasn’t completely flat either.

Right. The material often bunched up, giving the appearance almost of pleats in some scenes. The v1 tunic is so fitted and tight that it allows for no bunching, just like that gawd awful Leia dress. So I thought the RO tunic might works once you got rid of the ironed pleats; it certainly has enough material, too much really. But the v2 tunic again didn't offer enough material.

Plus, if you go with the RO cape you might as well remain consistent with the materials. There is a difference between the v1 and the RO materials -- the naked eye can see it where cameras can not.

Exactly. Like this would be prefect:

anhvader_final_1-jpg.110372

It almost seems like the key would be to try and get it to bunch up around the belt area.

You can definitely get that with the RO tunic, but you'll likely need to fold over and hide some excess material near the armpits. Once the pleats are loosened you end up with quite a bit of material, so potentially too many folds.

Well I know it's kinda crazy, but here's my RO Vader after weathering it up and trying to mod it into more of a proper ANH Vader. I decided I didn't really want a "generic Vader" anymore, and had already ordered the 1/4 version for the shiny look. And plus I had already collected a lot of ANH parts over the years and didn't feel like buying a whole other ANH figure.

I guess it's still mostly RO parts, except for the V1 tunic and boots and the bodysuit from the original SS Vader. And I also shortened him a bit. And speaking of the V1 tunic, I did kinda manage to get some wrinkles in there after basically ironing them in. But it was a pain to do.

20180826_2323402 (543x925).jpg

20180826_232323 (573x925).jpg

20180826_1804202 (531x925).jpg

Nice. Is the cape the only thing you changed?
The shoulder armor and bells are also from the R1 version...as they're more screen accurate.

As nice as the ANH version is..there are still lots of issues with it...along with the awful gloves there's the baggy suit,inaccurate shaped/painted shoulder armor and bulky cape..
I agree. I hope anyway, I got the R1 cape and tunic for that very reason.

What was wrong with the tunic? The pleats? I pulled and ruined them, hoping it looks more like bunched material.
Any pics of your re-worked R1 tunic?
Right. The material often bunched up, giving the appearance almost of pleats in some scenes. The v1 tunic is so fitted and tight that it allows for no bunching, just like that gawd awful Leia dress. So I thought the RO tunic might works once you got rid of the ironed pleats; it certainly has enough material, too much really. But the v2 tunic again didn't offer enough material.

Plus, if you go with the RO cape you might as well remain consistent with the materials. There is a difference between the v1 and the RO materials -- the naked eye can see it where cameras can not.

The stock ANH tunic can look better by running some thread through the hem at the top....it helps give it more of a bunched up look...
There is a subtle difference between the materials of the ANH cape and the R1 tunic but not enough to bother me...and as far as i know the screen used cape and tunic were made of different materials anyway.

View attachment 424511View attachment 424510

Man, davejames and matrix, you both have those Vader’s looking awesome. The fixed nose plug on matrix’s instantly jumps out.
What's this "fixed nose plug" deal I keep hearing about? Can you point out the differences, please?

Sent from my SM-T531 using Tapatalk

Man, davejames and matrix, you both have those Vader’s looking awesome. The fixed nose plug on matrix’s instantly jumps out.

Thanks. I wanted to fix the nose on mine as well, but for the life of me couldn't get the head to come apart. They must have used some extra strong glue on the RO Vader. Lol

What irks me, at least on v1 ANH, is due to covering up all the Velcro on the pelvic area by raising the codpiece and sliding the belt boxes over and covering up the Velcro on the belt, the belt is only held on by the weak clasp at the buckle. Thing pops off very easily whenever you nudge it just to make an adjustment.

Back