Hot Toys Rogue One Vader MMS388

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the 1st one, the nose plug should be recessed ever so slightly. The silver bit in the nose. Let me see if I can find a pic of rogue one vs a fixed ANH

30fc66e91406d20802989ae44c929b1d.jpg

4d7f2a580ad10c4ef491a130463797c6.jpg

You can see the "plug" is ever so slightly correctly pushed back on the ANH one with a mod I did.

As for the shin armor. It should fit right around the ankle but for some reason they made the opening curve too small so it sits awkwardly on the figure.

fe9cef1228237881d8698e05a9eaaa6a.png

Your question requires a bit longer an answer than I can give at the moment, but here's a copy paste from a fb thread about which parts I prefer from both. I have both currently and decided to turn the rogue one into an ESB Vader.

"ANH is much better imo.

From top to bottom to which parts are better
Helmet- tie (depends on what you like)
Cape ANH
Tunic ANH
Shoulder armor ANH
Chest box ANH
Belt/ boxes rogue one
Saber- tie
Suit- rogue one
Hands rogue one
Accessories ANH
Body- probably rogue one but ANH is more accurate height wise but it's also too tall
Boots ANH
Shin armor ANH
Cod armor ANH"

Wow.
A huge thank you for the insight.

Does fixing the nose plug imply breaking open the helmet?

I though both shin armours from HT were wrong and the same (as per Michael Crawford). In your pics they look different. Is that correct? How are they different?
Can the Rogue One shin armour be fixed? Would using a Sideshow Return of the Jedi shin armour fix the problem?
If you have a RO Vader, is it best to buy HT ANH boots and fix them?

Why do you think the ANH cape and shoulder armour are better?

What's exactly the problem with the cod piece on Rogue One? I've just learnt people are not satisfied with it, but dunno why...

Regards,
m.

For the 1st one, the nose plug should be recessed ever so slightly. The silver bit in the nose. Let me see if I can find a pic of rogue one vs a fixed ANH

30fc66e91406d20802989ae44c929b1d.jpg

4d7f2a580ad10c4ef491a130463797c6.jpg

You can see the "plug" is ever so slightly correctly pushed back on the ANH one with a mod I did.

As for the shin armor. It should fit right around the ankle but for some reason they made the opening curve too small so it sits awkwardly on the figure.

fe9cef1228237881d8698e05a9eaaa6a.png

Your question requires a bit longer an answer than I can give at the moment, but here's a copy paste from a fb thread about which parts I prefer from both. I have both currently and decided to turn the rogue one into an ESB Vader.

"ANH is much better imo.

From top to bottom to which parts are better
Helmet- tie (depends on what you like)
Cape ANH
Tunic ANH
Shoulder armor ANH
Chest box ANH
Belt/ boxes rogue one
Saber- tie
Suit- rogue one
Hands rogue one
Accessories ANH
Body- probably rogue one but ANH is more accurate height wise but it's also too tall
Boots ANH
Shin armor ANH
Cod armor ANH"

Wow.

I though both shin armours from HT were wrong and the same (as per Michael Crawford). In your pics they look different. Is that correct? How are they different?
Can the Rogue One shin armour be fixed? Would using a Sideshow Return of the Jedi shin armour fix the problem?

What's exactly the problem with the cod piece on Rogue One? I've just learnt people are not satisfied with it, but dunno why...

Regards,
m.

The best shin armor I've seen is from the Sideshow ANH release. Very sharp details on them which were softer on each new Vader since IMO.

Sideshow's ANH Vader also had the best bodysuit of the Sideshow releases but I don't know how it compares to HT.

Wow.

Regards,
m.

Yes, for the most part. I've seen maybe 2 people do it without breaking it open but I would still say you'd want to get in there to add some paper behind the lenses to increase the redness to be more accurate to the film.

Honestly the differences don't stand out that much to me but the ANH ones fit perfect on the ANH boots and ok on the rogue one set. The boots on ANH just take the cake for me personally as the rogue one boots look too small for the figure. The pics I took are from eBay and they are legit parts. I believe the issue with the rogue one set is the ankle opening is much tighter. I heated mine with a blow dryer lightly and spread it just a hair to fit better on my rogue one boots. It looks ok but not as nice as the ANH. The sideshow boots are 2 part (shin and ankle) so they wouldn't translate easily to the ht and I believe the ankle plug is different but don't quote me.

The shoulder armor on the rogue one figure doesn't rest flush to the chest. This is intentional by costume design but it looks off on the figure.

If you look at my pics above, you can see the ANH shoulder near the sternum tapers down while the rogue one forms a point about a mm off the sternum.

The cape is much better on ANH imo because it drapes better. The rogue one cape is far too long, and combined with my figure off the stand, too much is on the floor of the shelf and it causes a weird bunch on the collar bone area. The ANH is much thinner and easier to work with and while long does not fall as much on the floor. The rogue one height combined with the ANH cape is an awesome combination. I also replaced the rogue one tunic with ANH as the pleats stuck out a lot to me.

The cod piece on rogue one is very screen accurate, but it looks like a soiled diaper.

As much crap I say about the rogue one, the body suit is a huge improvement albeit slightly less durable, in my experience I've had some small peeling areas with double sided tape whereas none on the ANH version, and the belt is a massive upgrade along with those lovely gloves.

I was looking to buy this figure but it's sold out everywhere or it's 300 EUR+...
I hope they make another version. :monkey3

OK... Thanks...
Could you please provide some pics of the problems with the RO cape vs the ANH one, and also the cod piece?
Is the peeling problem with the RO bodysuit very visible?

I had no idea the shoulder armour had been tweaked for RO. If you could show comparative shots, your point would be more clearer... :)

I see now that the Sideshow shin guard is useles here. Thanks.

ANH boots:
botes_ht_ahn_01.jpg

RO boots:
botes_ht_rogue_01.jpg

They are of equal length! Why do you say the RO feet are too small? Is the RO Vader that much higher than the ANH one?

Regards,
m.

Yes, for the most part. I've seen maybe 2 people do it without breaking it open but I would still say you'd want to get in there to add some paper behind the lenses to increase the redness to be more accurate to the film.

Honestly the differences don't stand out that much to me but the ANH ones fit perfect on the ANH boots and ok on the rogue one set. The boots on ANH just take the cake for me personally as the rogue one boots look too small for the figure. The pics I took are from eBay and they are legit parts. I believe the issue with the rogue one set is the ankle opening is much tighter. I heated mine with a blow dryer lightly and spread it just a hair to fit better on my rogue one boots. It looks ok but not as nice as the ANH. The sideshow boots are 2 part (shin and ankle) so they wouldn't translate easily to the ht and I believe the ankle plug is different but don't quote me.

The shoulder armor on the rogue one figure doesn't rest flush to the chest. This is intentional by costume design but it looks off on the figure.

If you look at my pics above, you can see the ANH shoulder near the sternum tapers down while the rogue one forms a point about a mm off the sternum.

The cape is much better on ANH imo because it drapes better. The rogue one cape is far too long, and combined with my figure off the stand, too much is on the floor of the shelf and it causes a weird bunch on the collar bone area. The ANH is much thinner and easier to work with and while long does not fall as much on the floor. The rogue one height combined with the ANH cape is an awesome combination. I also replaced the rogue one tunic with ANH as the pleats stuck out a lot to me.

The cod piece on rogue one is very screen accurate, but it looks like a soiled diaper.

As much crap I say about the rogue one, the body suit is a huge improvement albeit slightly less durable, in my experience I've had some small peeling areas with double sided tape whereas none on the ANH version, and the belt is a massive upgrade along with those lovely gloves.

OK... Thanks...
Could you please provide some pics of the problems with the RO cape vs the ANH one, and also the cod piece?
Is the peeling problem with the RO bodysuit very visible?

I had no idea the shoulder armour had been tweaked for RO. If you could show comparative shots, your point would be more clearer... :)

I see now that the Sideshow shin guard is useles here. Thanks.

ANH boots:
View attachment 347231

RO boots:
View attachment 347232

They are of equal length! Why do you say the RO feet are too small? Is the RO Vader that much higher than the ANH one?

Regards,
m.

The peeling problem was my own fault as the tape I used was too strong. I havent heard of any peeling issues aside from mine and another member a few months back who also used double sided tape. It's not very noticeable and only a few small spots were damaged.

On this shot, top photos the cape drapes down at an angle. Also the shoulder sternum is almost flush with the suit. Bottom pic cape makes a slight curve due to the material and the excess length of cape. The shoulder you can also see is not flush to the body.

7f0d194f17815ff51996237d16983cb4.jpg

The feet of the rogue one look smaller because the boots are a different design. Look at the actual foot portion, from the font. the ANH is more boxy and due to the shin pads sitting further back it makes it appear the foot portion is bigger.

As for the cod piece just check out the stock photos.

OK... Thanks for the information.

The boots, the peeling, the shoulder piece... all clear now. Thanks.

Only thing: I have reviewed the Vader RO marketing material and for the life of me I can't see anything wrong. Any picture in particular where the problem is more evident? Or any pictures to compare?

Regards,
m.

The peeling problem was my own fault as the tape I used was too strong. I havent heard of any peeling issues aside from mine and another member a few months back who also used double sided tape. It's not very noticeable and only a few small spots were damaged.

On this shot, top photos the cape drapes down at an angle. Also the shoulder sternum is almost flush with the suit. Bottom pic cape makes a slight curve due to the material and the excess length of cape. The shoulder you can also see is not flush to the body.

7f0d194f17815ff51996237d16983cb4.jpg

The feet of the rogue one look smaller because the boots are a different design. Look at the actual foot portion, from the font. the ANH is more boxy and due to the shin pads sitting further back it makes it appear the foot portion is bigger.

As for the cod piece just check out the stock photos.

OK... Thanks for the information.

The boots, the peeling, the shoulder piece... all clear now. Thanks.

Only thing: I have reviewed the Vader RO marketing material and for the life of me I can't see anything wrong. Any picture in particular where the problem is more evident? Or any pictures to compare?

Regards,
m.

It's less that something's wrong and more a personal preference. I don't have any additional
photos at the moment. I'd just recommend you look up reviews of each and see which figure you like better. The rogue one is an awesome figure but I prefer the ANH look with the rogue one gloves. My rogue one was updated to an ESB kitbash.

In regards to the cod piece, it's accurate to the film, it's just very large and odd looking compared to the sideshow and ANH ones. The sideshow cod in my opinion is the best of all 3

I have compared Sideshow Deluxe cod piece with the HT ones and well... Sideshow's is not very good looking!
In Sideshow's, you can easily see where the cod piece ends and where the underlying pleather begins, whereas the HT ones are one single piece tha begins and ends very far under the cape. That's better looking right? Then why do you say Sideshow's better?
m.

It's less that something's wrong and more a personal preference. I don't have any additional
photos at the moment. I'd just recommend you look up reviews of each and see which figure you like better. The rogue one is an awesome figure but I prefer the ANH look with the rogue one gloves. My rogue one was updated to an ESB kitbash.

In regards to the cod piece, it's accurate to the film, it's just very large and odd looking compared to the sideshow and ANH ones. The sideshow cod in my opinion is the best of all 3

I have compared Sideshow Deluxe cod piece with the HT ones and well... Sideshow's is not very good looking!
In Sideshow's, you can easily see where the cod piece ends and where the underlying pleather begins, whereas the HT ones are one single piece tha begins and ends very far under the cape. That's better looking right? Then why do you say Sideshow's better?
m.

The inner tunic covers the transition area from the cod piece to the strap. On the figure it's the most proportioned and best looking imo

Back