Hot Toys R2-D2 Deluxe Version

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I don't know a reliable seller in HK myself but clearly there are many. But these early sellers have inflated pricing, right?

I feel like its the US sellers responsibility to let you know when your PO will be fulfilled... if they know you will miss the initial batch, they should let you know or better yet change their sales page to reflect the later 'batch #2' date -- usually now 3 months later. Some people might actually want to order the later V2.

This would be very useful for retailers like AlterEgo which fulfills based on date of PO.

The Hong Kong prices are often inflated for sure but lately a lot of the Star Wars stuff has been right around retail price, I assume due to lack of interest in Asia. I think the markup on Marvel and especially Iron Man is usually pretty crazy.

My pair from KG Hobby arrived this morning. :)

All those lovely parts!

100_9407.JPG

:)

A bit different to opening up Bespin Leia!

Well, I took the plunge and bought one to pair with my Tama 3PO as the "hero" R2/3PO display.

Man, I have a lot of figures now.:horror:lol

The difference between this and the Sideshow is like night and day, with the more conical metal dome, the crisp detailing, the detailed interiors to the open panels, and the very fine detail and joints on the arms.

The magnets are a big plus too - except when I try to get the fourth arm in his left side panel, as the magnets start to interfere with each other.

Well, I took the plunge and bought one to pair with my Tama 3PO as the "hero" R2/3PO display.

Man, I have a lot of figures now.:horror:lol

Me too. I?m using the SS artoo with the drink tray since the HT doesn?t come with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still have two Sideshows, one with the obligatory drinks tray with Jabba.

The HT is much better finished and detailed, and the panels and doors work much more smoothly. The attachments look so much better, and their articulation actually makes Artoo into a real action figure rather than a dustbin with legs.

I put the first one together with all his panels open and all arms attached, and put him in Endor as 'exploded Artoo'.

The magnets are neat at first, but the fourth arm is a bugger in either panel. It either starts to get repelled or sticks to the base of one of the other arms. I left it at the latter.

49418830893_def6ef806b_o.jpg

49418830928_565905f2af_o.jpg

I still have two Sideshows, one with the obligatory drinks tray with Jabba.

The HT is much better finished and detailed, and the panels and doors work much more smoothly. The attachments look so much better, and their articulation actually makes Artoo into a real action figure rather than a dustbin with legs.

I put the first one together with all his panels open and all arms attached, and put him in Endor as 'exploded Artoo'.

The magnets are neat at first, but the fourth arm is a bugger in either panel. It either starts to get repelled or sticks to the base of one of the other arms. I left it at the latter.

49418830893_def6ef806b_o.jpg

49418830928_565905f2af_o.jpg

Nice setup! I am headed out to pick up Bespin Leia in a bit and one of the things on my list is to stop at the pet store to grab some extra Endor scenery/foliage.

Nice setup! I am headed out to pick up Bespin Leia in a bit and one of the things on my list is to stop at the pet store to grab some extra Endor scenery/foliage.

Thanks.

I've had those pieces for years. I picked them up at a boot sale and used them as wargames scenery for the old Grenadier/West End Games Star Wars metal miniatures. Then they saw action for 1/6 before being boxed up. I only found them again today by accident.

There are two larger pieces that I've put behind ESB Yoda.

When I took the second HT Artoo out I noticed that his feet don't sit completely flat. They rise up slightly towards the outside edge. I then noticed it in one of Clinton John Linsely's photos on OSR:

82504659_10158662880789041_4504097293821018112_o.jpg

You can see the shadows deepen towards the outer edges of his feet as they rise up from the surface. Whereas with the Sideshow Artoo the shadows are uniform.

This is my second Artoo. It's his left leg that's most affected:

49419446683_20de0a6a6e_o.jpg

49419914256_288832e05a_o.jpg

That's actually accurate to ANH R2... not that HT engineered that level of detail.

It is?

The Sideshow legs feel sturdier, whereas the HT flexes more. Maybe the legs were bent too far out in the box, and it affected the ankle joint.

Watch when R2 converts and rolls forward in the one shot as he heads for the Falcon on the Death Star after 3PO says "come on R2, we're going" -- he kind of sags in the middle on his wheels.

Found two times --

star-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-10808.jpg

star-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-9693.jpg

Last edited:
Watch when R2 converts and rolls forward in the one shot as he heads for the Falcon on the Death Star after 3PO says "come on R2, we're going" -- he kind of sags in the middle on his wheels.

Found two times --

I've never noticed that before.

So a wonky Artoo is still a screen accurate Artoo! :)

Good find on those pics, Wor-Gar.

Another thing to keep in mind is that there were quite a number of different "R2's" built and filmed throughout the OT and in the first film, in particular. (Kenny Baker versions along with the many other remote controlled versions. Paint schemes and detailing is all over the place.

Yeah I think the one I've always been most intrigued by is the R2 from the end ceremony that appeared to have a much shorter body for some reason. Don't think it appeared at any other point in the movie.

chewbacca-medal~01~01~01.jpg

Back