Hot Toys R2-D2 Deluxe Version

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't get the purchase from SS. Yes you have rewards but then you end up paying $30 on shipping.
I was looking into Kylo which has $20 off but then $27 for shipping???

I am definitely with you on this. There are other places that offer cheaper/same prices with cheaper or even free shipping that includes double boxing. The only time I get from Sideshow is if the other places are sold out, since SS seems to be the last place to run out. Also if you want the exclusives, SS is the only place to get them.

I’ll post some more tomorrow. Batteries seem to be duff ( as usual).
Yes it’s. Jazzinc detolf diorama.

^Speaking of batteries, is there a particular brand or type of battery people recommend for replacing the factory issued batteries in Hot Toys figures? I’ve got the ESB Vader and now this R2 in the way and, given the stories I’ve heard about the included batteries, I’d like to replace them all with something higher quality.

As a side note, I’ve had the original batteries in Vader for about a year and they were still going strong without any signs of problems, but I finally got around to taking them out preemptively yesterday before any issues present themselves.

After watching a couple of reviews, I believe this R2 is superior to every other previous release, except for the lights. Lights were still superior on the Tamashii (better AI, proyector switched on separately, bigger battery system and longer life...)

I'm halfway tempted to open mine up when I get him and cover up all those projector LEDs. They were only rarely lit up and not part of his main look, so I think I'd rather just leave them dark entirely.

I'm halfway tempted to open mine up when I get him and cover up all those projector LEDs. They were only rarely lit up and not part of his main look, so I think I'd rather just leave them dark entirely.
Yeah, this would be better, but it'd be wasting the battery. Wish I knew enough about electronics to reverse the order of what the touchtap does (on the TFA version the first tap turns on those projectors, then the second also turns on the regular light).

Yeah, this would be better, but it'd be wasting the battery. Wish I knew enough about electronics to reverse the order of what the touchtap does (on the TFA version the first tap turns on those projectors, then the second also turns on the regular light).

That would be excellent. I can confirm this one is the same. Having just bought some batteries that aren’t knackered.

I was really looking forward to this release, until I saw in Justin's video review how the projector lights don't shut off independently from the rest.

How does Hot Toys pay so much attention to detail to source material, and yet screw this up TWICE now?

Perhaps having the Sideshow and Tamashii Artoos in my collection will have to suffice for now.

I guess hot toys just don’t care enough to change the design.
Having now got him working. I love the lights and the remote but he projector thing is annoying as is the on
/off switch being inside the dome
He looks awesome but I’m not convinced he’s big enough.
Definitely better than the ssc one - sorry but he is
I’d love more than one to display with the tools and maybe at the right price I would.

I don't think there is any doubt that this is slightly underscaled but it's still the largest of the choices available and the best looking. I'm sure there is a joke in the above sentence somewhere.

I guess hot toys just don’t care enough to change the design.
Having now got him working. I love the lights and the remote but he projector thing is annoying as is the on
/off switch being inside the dome
He looks awesome but I’m not convinced he’s big enough.
Definitely better than the ssc one - sorry but he is
I’d love more than one to display with the tools and maybe at the right price I would.

The issue is that you can easily get the SSC R2 for dirt cheap on the secondary market - I bought one for $85 shipped recently - and with a wipe of some rubbing alcohol, the dome and body looks much better (even though, yes, the SSC fig is marginally more undersized than the HT R2 sculpt.)

I'm still trying to get my head around paying $250 for an R2D2. I so wish they had done a "basic" option with this figure where you could get the figure alone minus all the arms for $220. That's still high but for a metal dome it becomes worth it.

Back