HOT TOYS QS 1/4 Darth Vader (pic courtesy Seanxlong)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Such an imposing figure at 1:4th scale. I have the simple hands-in-belt pose slightly looking up. Just epic!

...it's Vader after all...

Is it not absolutely glorious! This is by far my favorite figure in my collection

Same.

So happy I pulled the trigger on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No question, this Darth Vader is epic. It does indeed look like a miniature suit replica, and even some photos look like movie stills or phtotos of the actual costume, impeccable.

This Darth Vader will represent Star Wars in my collection.

I?m seriously getting very close to picking this up as the center piece of my collection. Would be my 1/4 scale figure ever. The helmet is just too good.

I finally got around to opening mine the other night, and while it is probably the best Vader figure of any scale I've ever owned, I'm just not blown away like I hoped I would be with Vader being my favorite character from the franchise.

My weird hangups are as followed:

1. The dome still feels off for me, angle of back of dome, tusk line, or something still doesn't "feel" right.
2. Maybe it's the price tag subconsciously in the back of mind, but I feel this guy is more fragile than my 1/6 figures.
3. And this last one will probably be the weirdest to most, but I feel like this is more "toy like" than I expected or envisioned I guess.

Even spending a bit more for my UCS Falcon I still feel like I got more of my monies worth with it compared, and yes I know it's apples to oranges, they're just closer in price of the higher priced collectibles I've owned.

Still it's a great, even fantastic Vader. And for those who love him I'm truly stoked for you guys, I just feel a little buyers remorse today for the mentioned reasons.

Just my 2 cents :monkey3

Last edited:
I finally got around to opening mine the other night, and while it is probably the best Vader figure of any scale I've ever owned, I'm just not blown away like I hoped I would be with Vader being my favorite character from the franchise.

1. The dome still feels off for me, angle of back of dome, tusk line, or something still doesn't "feel" right.
2. Maybe it's the price tag subconsciously in the back of mind, but I feel this guy is more fragile than my 1/6 figures.
3. And this last one will probably be the weirdest to most, but I feel like this is more "toy like" than I expected or envisioned I guess.

Even spending a bit more for my UCS Falcon I still feel like I got more of my monies worth with it compared, and yes I know it's apples to oranges, they're just closer in price of the higher priced collectibles I've owned.

Still it's a great, even fantastic Vader. And for those who love him I'm truly stoked for you guys, I just feel a little buyers remorse today for the mentioned reasons.

Give it some time. I had similar feelings once I opened this up.

Now it?s my favorite piece in the collection.

I?m seriously getting very close to picking this up as the center piece of my collection. Would be my 1/4 scale figure ever. The helmet is just too good.

I would definitely pick him up then. He is definitely my centerpiece/grail figure in my collection. I still find myself constantly looking at him every time I pass my Detolfs

Yeah! Go for it if you can. These 1/4 scale HT figures are epic, they look like high quality statues yet they're huge, posable action figures, IMO.

Does any of you not use the special edition led light-up stand and would be willing to sell it to me?
44089dd604a851f8864c4b05181858c3.jpg

Yeah although I'm happy to have the figure, I can't say I'm feeling totally blown away by it either. Or that it really feels worth the amount of money it cost. Although my biggest issue is more with the incredibly skinny body, which still reminds me way too much of ROTS Vader. I haven't tried any mods yet, so hopefully that can be remedied somewhat...

I finally received my Vader as well last week.
Straight out of the box I agree that he is a bit underwhelming. After completely undressing and redressing him, he already looks quite a bit better. But in the end, I'll do some modifications like buffing him up etc., as I knew I would do from the start, so I'm still very happy. :)

I also haven't kept up with this thread since the end of November so all the pics don't kill my excitement - will have to catch up soon and see what wonderful mods have already been done by others. :clap

Has anyone attempted crossing his arms? It should be possible, I'm sure one of the promo shots has the arms crossed (Like at end of ROTS).

Give it some time. I had similar feelings once I opened this up.

Now it?s my favorite piece in the collection.

I came back to admit my "lack of faith" and admit Bilbo you were right, after a week or so this has gradually become one of if not my favorite piece in my collection. It's weird how much this figure grows on you.

It's also not near as delicate as I first thought upon opening, as I have messed with him quite a bit with no issues. But the weirdest thing is the niggles I had with the helmet are completely gone as it looks so much better to me IMHO than any attempt by any company so far, and now seems pretty definitive to date.

So I agree with others sentiment now as well, if you're on the fence with this don't be he's truly that good.

Now to reach out to Cocoboloboy for one of his fancy half detolf shelves he sells! :vader

Last edited:
I think this piece is only underwhelming if you're a Darth Vader die hard fanatic. For me personally, I really don't care if his dome is slightly different or a tusk is slightly wrong. It's not important. The important this is the presence. Darth Vader has presence, that's what makes him him. And this has it in spades.

A comparison with the EFX 1.1 helmet...

HT definitely added some asymmetry and crookedness to the sculpt...with both the eye and cheek shape being a very close match...helmet dome too is gloriously wonky...

View attachment 473118View attachment 473119

Comparison between the screen used reveal mask and HT...there's lots to love:)

View attachment 473622

I didn't visit this thread since December up until I got my figure in last week so as not to kill my excitement for this. So I just went back through the pages.
These comparison shots are great, matrix. I'm amazed how accurate the sculpt is, HT really nailed it.
Only the tubes annoy me when you look at him closely. I'm thinking that resculpting them would make this the Vader to end all Vaders...

I started my first prep towards customizing Vader's mask. It's already already amazingly accurate, but I want to see if I can get it from 95% to 99%. :) This is going to be a fun build.

The main things I want to improve on the mask:
  • glue down mask, resculpt tubes to be flush (and possible wider)
  • resculpt nose
  • completely redo mouth with styrene teeth & real mesh behind
  • decrease size of chin vent slightly, insert real mesh
  • replace tusks

I measured the entire mouth and teeth from two shots of screen used props, so I can replicate it in 1:4 as accurately as possible. I think the comparison shot shows quite clearly what I want to change. You can find my measurements below if you're interested (there are 1-2 wrong numbers in there).
I ordered 1/8 contour mesh for the grills. The tusks feel a tad oversized in girth, I'll see if I can find some thinner ones.

Darth Vader mouth_comparison.jpg

Vader grill measurements_small.jpg

Took this so I can compare my finished Vader to the out of the box version later on.

IMG_1852_2_small.jpg

My display is a bit too dominated by Vader at the moment.

IMG_1895_2_small2.jpg

I've been waiting for this for quite some time. This is my childhood in a nutshell (other than this being a newer Batman suit).

IMG_1904_2_small.jpg

I started my first prep towards customizing Vader's mask. It's already already amazingly accurate, but I want to see if I can get it from 95% to 99%. :) This is going to be a fun build.

• resculpt nose
  • replace tusks

I measured the entire mouth and teeth from two shots of screen used props, so I can replicate it in 1:4 as accurately as possible. I think the comparison shot shows quite clearly what I want to change. You can find my measurements below if you're interested (there are 1-2 wrong numbers in there).
I ordered 1/8 contour mesh for the grills. The tusks feel a tad oversized in girth, I'll see if I can find some thinner ones.

View attachment 480041

View attachment 480042

Took this so I can compare my finished Vader to the out of the box version later on.

View attachment 480043

View attachment 480044

I've been waiting for this for quite some time. This is my childhood in a nutshell (other than this being a newer Batman suit).

View attachment 480045

Wow great photos and comparisons!!! :clap

• resculpt nose
  • replace tusks

View attachment 480041

View attachment 480042

View attachment 480043

View attachment 480044

View attachment 480045
Can't wait to see the finished product agonistes86! Your a lot braver than I would ever be! I don't think I would ever have the nerve, or talent, to ever mod his mask/helmet.

Back