Hot Toys Princess Leia (Bespin Gown)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best Leia figure now- really stunning. Next step needs to be Slave Leia which might top any Iron Man as HT's top seller
I wouldn’t really say that. It will sell about as well as the ANH Leia though. It’s the second most iconic outfit. This Bespin figure is pure beauty captured in a bottle though.

I have avoided all of the Empire figures so far. I don’t plan on breaking that streak with this, but it’s very, very tempting. Sadly, I’m going to wait and see how Hot Toys approaches Slave Leia.

No, you are not.

People are far too creepy and sleazy about it. Fanboys have made it gross.
Eh, I think you’re giving the negative aspects too much power. You don’t have to be a raging pervert to appreciate what that part of her character brought to the table. And just because that version of her is lusted after and idolized by droves of men... well, I won’t get into politics, but it’s kind of an asinine way to go about things.

It would be like letting women, who lust over the Rock in his skimpy outfits—or even, for instance, Arnold’s Conan—dictate how you should enjoy a particular portrayed role. You like what you like I guess, but I’m not going to let the bad facets of a fandom dictate what I enjoy.

Instant PO when she goes up.

If... IF she goes up. Unfortunately this is becoming more common with HT these days.

STILL no Luke OR Leia Endor PO.

It would be a real pity on this one though. A ROTJ stormie I can probably pass on and not be a huge deal, but this fig is gorgeous.

No, you are not.

People are far too creepy and sleazy about it. Fanboys have made it gross.

It's an iconic look that was part of my ROTJ experience as a kid, and she does some of the best Leia heroic moments in that outfit, so I'm not exactly sure what's creepy or sleazy about it.

If CF had a huge issue with it, she wouldn't have said yes to it. It's not like it was the her SW movie, and frankly her underage turn in Shampoo is more creepy and sleazy by a factor of ten, yet nobody says a word about that. That a metal bikini (that is FAR more tame than anything you see on the beach or pool these days) is somehow so much worse than Beatty in overtly implied relations with CF as a minor?

If you want creepy and sleazy, take the time to actually watch one of the three hundred hip-hop videos that are probably viewed in your household every year... and perhaps by young people who are younger than I was when I saw ROTJ. People can be such hypocrites - jumping all over something as tame as the Leia ROTJ outfit while openly ignoring everything all around them.

Did some artists/companies over the years (most OFFICIALLY LICENSED by LFL) "sexualize" the outfit? Of course. But is that in the movie? No.

It's this kind of lazy moral relativism that gets this lame discussion started in the first place.

Ugh!!! All I really want is the headsculpt for my Hoth Leia body. For a Bespin escape Ver. Should’ve seen this coming.

If I was only collecting Star Wars OT this would be a day one purchase. Such an awesome headsculpt !! Those sorrowful eyes. Wow !

IMG_0360.jpg

It's an iconic look that was part of my ROTJ experience as a kid, and she does some of the best Leia heroic moments in that outfit, so I'm not exactly sure what's creepy or sleazy about it.

If CF had a huge issue with it, she wouldn't have said yes to it. It's not like it was the her SW movie, and frankly her underage turn in Shampoo is more creepy and sleazy by a factor of ten, yet nobody says a word about that. That a metal bikini (that is FAR more tame than anything you see on the beach or pool these days) is somehow so much worse than Beatty in overtly implied relations with CF as a minor?

If you want creepy and sleazy, take the time to actually watch one of the three hundred hip-hop videos that are probably viewed in your household every year... and perhaps by young people who are younger than I was when I saw ROTJ. People can be such hypocrites - jumping all over something as tame as the Leia ROTJ outfit while openly ignoring everything all around them.

Did some artists/companies over the years (most OFFICIALLY LICENSED by LFL) "sexualize" the outfit? Of course. But is that in the movie? No.

It's this kind of lazy moral relativism that gets this lame discussion started in the first place.

You raise some really good points. I think the costume has been fetishised over the years and some sections of fandom (and artists as you mentioned) have overly sexualised it. Man, they’ve even sexed up her ANH costume.
I’m sure if Hot Toys were to produce one, it would be a stunning piece, respectful to the design and Carrie’s portrayal. Unlike the knock-off version with the busty “phicen” style body. The Wonder Woman figures are kinda skimpy costume wise, but there’s an elegance and power to the overall figure that elevates it above simple cheese cake.
Anyway, I obviously would love one, especially since I’d found each Leia release to be stunning.
4b11f010d970ec1b0a203b7b68d84b0a.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

When Justin Lee Collins met Carrie Fisher in his Bring Back series she took him on a tour of her house, showing him her Star Wars memorabilia.

Jump straight to 12:37 to see her birthday present from George Lucas:

Yup, the official licensor-approved collectible sexualizes the outfit... so years later the new official licensor (supposedly) says the outfit is too sexualized to do a collectible of.:slap

Honestly, the logic is so utterly stupid it's beyond words.

The outfit made me hate Jabba because he imposed it on Leia - which in turn made her killing him work so well. It's like what Vader did to Han in ESB - broke exactly what we loved about Han. Leia was a powerful female figure, so the outfit was perfect. It showed just how sinister Jabba was, elevating him from a big rubber frog to something we relate to - and despise.

Yup, the official licensor-approved collectible sexualizes the outfit... so years later the new official licensor (supposedly) says the outfit is too sexualized to do a collectible of.:slap

The outfit made me hate Jabba because he imposed it on Leia - which in turn made her killing him work so well. It's like what Vader did to Han in ESB - broke exactly what we loved about Han. Leia was a powerful female figure, so the outfit was perfect. It showed just how sinister Jabba was, elevating him from a big rubber frog to something we relate to - and despise.

Agreed on all counts.

I saw ROTJ in the cinema and I was struck by how humiliating it was for Leia to be forced into that outfit for the pleasure of a grotesque slug. That's what ultimately makes her act of strangling him all the more satisfying.

Damsels in distress have been a staple of fantasy and science fiction for a long time, as have women in skimpy clothing.

In Edgar Rice Burroughs' Mars Chronicles the Martians were naked. Dejah Thoris, princess of Mars, was no different.

She was as destitute of clothes as the green Martians who accompanied her; indeed, save for her highly wrought ornaments she was entirely naked, nor could any apparel have enhanced the beauty of her perfect and symmetrical figure.

'Slave Leia' is a fairly tame look when compared to some of the disturbing anime figures and statues I've seen sold alongside regular 1/6 in online stores. :horror

There was a chapter in one of the EU books where Jabba 'gifts' Leia to Fett in his private quarters in Jabba's Palace to do with as he pleased. Further demeaning her. Fett gave her a blanket to cover up and she tried to recruit him for the Rebellion by paying him more than Jabba/The Empire were. Fett believed the Empire was morally right as they were the 'lawmakers' so refused the offer. I think he allowed her to stay in his quarters until she was summoned back to Jabba.

He may have been a murderous bounty hunter but at least he had a bit of moral fibre about him. :)

Now only Leia Bespin Escape and Leia Slave and they will have done pretty much all the Leias (except Ewok village, but that outfit is too obscure and a bit boring.) My guess is with the SSC new Jabba coming, Leia slave isn't far away.

we still need:
Throne room Leia.
Boussh disguise Leia.

When Justin Lee Collins met Carrie Fisher in his Bring Back series she took him on a tour of her house, showing him her Star Wars memorabilia.

Jump straight to 12:37 to see her birthday present from George Lucas:

That looks like the original Gentle Giant prototype. It was initially rejected after making some Con appearances. They re-sculpted the skirt to drape over her bum to get approval.

Boushh would be an instant buy for me as well as Jabba’s Prisoner. I would like to see the Yavin Ceremony Throne Room version and an Ewok Village Leia.

yeah well let`s not get carried away here. I hope the two leia`s they showed this year and last year get into production. maybe once that happens then we can dream up of more leia figures for our collections.

Back