Hot Toys Predator Diorama. UPDATED. Finally finished

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snazaro

Freakzoid
Reaction score
Hi all collectors and customisers.

After the thread about my Platoon custom diorama (link below) some of the SSF members commented that the Dio would suit a predator. Funnily enough it was already work in progress. I posted a few pictures of the current stage but thought it best to start a new thread as it is nearly complete.

Owning the Hot toys original Predator for a long time now I have always banded around ideas for this chap but other projects always seem to take president. The time came to give him a new home and this is the result.

Please enjoy and feel free to ask any questions. Sorry some of the picture are a bit dark and do not show true detail better ones will follow on completion.

As it was Xmas I finished a large tub of well know chocolates that we had (against my will I add). The lid seemed the perfect base as I needed some depth for the Dio. Cut out a size of styrofoam and carved the river bed and bank. I purchased a few bits of drift wood from the local aquatic supplier and set those in the foam.

image-8.jpg
[/URL]

I used a product called sculptamould to set the trees in place and seal the river bed. If you have never used this product I highly recommend it for Dio design. Just add water 2 parts to 1part water and your left with a kind of putty. Gives you about 20 to 30 mins working time and is lightweight and very durable. Next sprayed a base coat covering the white finish of the Sculptamould and weathered the trees with acrylic paints.

I have always been a big fan of woodland scenic products and used these to lay out the forest floor. Another a great product to use for dirt/mud floor covering is exoterra plantation soil brick. You add water and break it down and leave to dry out.... Another reason for the use of this product is it absorbs the solid water that will be explained later. The small pieces of slate and rocks were added next. After laying all that down I used woodland scenic base coat adhesive to seal the forest floor and river bed, This takes 24 hours to dry but is completely invisible.

I had different silk plants and various aquatic ornamental flowers. Most of the tree leaves and forest plantation I had to hand cut to different designs. This had to be one of the most mundane jobs of the whole dio (picture from the Platoon Dio but the same process). Many jungle pictures sourced from google for reference. Most of the forest floor plants required painting as aquatic plants tend to be bright vibrant colours, not what I was looking for.

Continued

Re: Hot Toys Predator 1 custom Diorama base....... Scratch Build....

I purchased a skeleton off of eBay for next to nothing. If your looking for cheap skeletons to use on your custom creations look for a book called The Book of Bones by Stephen Cumbaa, it comes with a perfect 1/6 scale Skeleton frame. Needs a bit of weathering or customisation to suit your application but for the money I could not find better. This was also used for the bones in the river which were also painted and weathered.

After strapping the skeleton onto the branch of choice with brown string soaked in PVA glue dipped into green blended turf from woodland scenics I set to work on the plantation. Another time consuming job. Yes those leaves on the two branches were cut to size and stuck on one by one...... I must be mad......

That job done (many hours later) the other bones were weathered and stuck into place. The river bank was brushed down and blown over to remove all small debris ready for the water effect. I use a product called Solid Water from Deluxe Materials. This is a two part resin which sets completely hard. The beauty of this product is is does not shrink, dis-colour, no air bubbles if used following the instructions and can be used for a deep water effect. This takes about 2 to 3 days to completely set but well worth the wait. Ripple effects can be added with other Deluxe Materials products but I wanted a still stagnant looking forest pool. Also using this with the exoterra soil plantation combined with some green turf gives a fantastic lasting bog type stagnant look.

So thats the Dio so far, I have measured up the Pred and he fits on the horizontal branch perfectly. Have him in a crouched position looking pretty menacing up there. I have to cast some more skulls to place at the foot of the tree next to the river bank and it will be complete.

I will post the final pics in a few days when River bed is set.

Thank you if you have followed this thread so far as I know it is a long one. Perhaps chat and share ideas with some of you guys in the future.

Regards

Snaz

Thank you Shadysear.
I will be posting more pictures as soon as the water effect resin has set. I dare not play with it at this time as if you drop anything into the resin while setting it can dent the finish. Not a good look for water...lol..

Thanks again for your comment, please stay tuned for completed Dio...

Regards

snaz

Can't wait to see it with a Predator in that tree!

That's awesome stuff. One suggestion, you need more blood. Especially on the bones

Looks great. Blood will look good on the bones.
Love the water effect might try that some time.

Awesome work... really impressive dio :rock

And like others said you need to get a shot with the Predator.

Love it, I would love to see a big version

Thanks for the kind words guys..... Great to hear your views.

The water has now set so its nearly finished. Just waiting for some casting polyurethane resin to arrive tomorrow so I can cast some more skulls for the tree base....

I looked into a more blood and gory effect on the bones, I even did a few tests with the solid water and a red pigment to give the effect the blood had dripped into the swamp.... Did not turn out as I would have wanted. Just turned the whole bog red....I really wanted it red one side spreading to the cleaner area of the water. I have been thinking of a few other things like a red wash on the water surface. Another thought was tilting the base and pouring clean resin in, letting it set then level the Dio out and pour red pigment resin giving an overlapping effect, something to have a think about me thinks ??? I have already been asked to make one for someone so there will be another soon (after my next Raiders Doc Jones temple Dio, complete with speared decomposed explorer).

I will weather and blood a skeleton up for a comparison so we can see both versions. Got a couple of the the cheap skel's coming, never have enough skeletons.....lol...

Till then, thank you all again.

Snaz

Hi all....

Well the predator Dio finally got finished..... Here are a few pictures of the finished piece.

Please enjoy

Are you going to make more?I like the P1 for posing responses
Heres a old one i did unfinished due to falling apart

Back