Hot Toys POTA Ursus, Captain and Soldier Review from wookster (yep,it's a 3 in 1)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The velcro they used with the Mars Attacks figures is pretty 'micro', but much better than their past attempts. I'm hoping that's what we see moving forward.

Got the HT Gorilla Captain yesterday.
I wasn't going to buy him because I was annoyed by the inaccuracies in his accessories: TV show Gorilla with "Beneath" rifle,pack and flag.
But, I got a Forbidden Planet gift card and since he was now only half price I decided to complete my HT Gorilla set.

Not bad in person.
I find HT's "micro" velcro kind of a waste. The strap on the holster (also inaccurate for the TV series) won't stay shut. Also the belt is pretty loose.
The hair seems even longer than the Gorilla soldier and left by itself looks pretty bad. But I was able to tuck in all the excess hair into the top of the tunic and now he looks pretty good. Besides, Gorillas with shorter hair is more representative of the TV series anyway.

I gave the Beneath machine gun to my Sideshow Ursus (regular edition that didn't come with the gun) and I think I'll display the Beneath battle flag with my HT Ursus.

It would have been cool if this (TV show) Gorilla Captain came with the red, ape head flag that was seen in the show.

-Ray

Glad to hear you completed the Hot Toys "Gorilla Trilogy"! :banana:banana:banana

Yeah, there are inaccuracies in some of the accessories. However, from a pure aesthetic point of view, I MUCH prefer the glyph flags to the ones found in the TV series. Even when I was a kid when the show premiered, I thought that they looked crude and a bit too strange. You don't see humans carrying flags with just a human head on it do you... so why would an ape? I'm just saying....

loved the review wook...............not a diehard fan???...:lol......i knew i wasnt but from what you wrote i feel even less of a fan.......:monkey2

however ...........i did own this as a kid............
planet-of-the-apes-rifle-and-mask-t.jpg

thats gotta count for something right??....:lol

but sadly its long gone.:monkey2:monkey2

I had both the "Tommy Fire" gun AND the "Rapid Fire" rifle versions. My friend next door couldn't persuade his parents to buy him a set so I got mine to buy both and I shared. A gorilla has to have his "wing-ape" doesn't he?

Speaking of those masks, I came across this picture on the web:

mattelapes.jpg

Those are two VERY lucky kids!!! :banghead:banghead:banghead

The velcro they used with the Mars Attacks figures is pretty 'micro', but much better than their past attempts. I'm hoping that's what we see moving forward.

Hey Michael... what ever happened to your review of Ursus and the Captain? I read Jeff's fine review but I kinda wanted your take on them.:naughty

I suppose it's too late now. :banghead:banghead:banghead

Glad to hear you completed the Hot Toys "Gorilla Trilogy"! :banana:banana:banana

Yeah, there are inaccuracies in some of the accessories. However, from a pure aesthetic point of view, I MUCH prefer the glyph flags to the ones found in the TV series. Even when I was a kid when the show premiered, I thought that they looked crude and a bit too strange. You don't see humans carrying flags with just a human head on it do you... so why would an ape? I'm just saying....

LOL. Good point Protozaius.
Yeah, The Ape head flag is pretty lame compared to the Glyph flag - but I like the blood red color of the Ape head background compared to the girly pink used on the Glyph flag.
I mean are they invading the Forbidden zone or the pink Barbie aisle at Toys R Us?

-Ray

I mean are they invading the Forbidden zone or the pink Barbie aisle at Toys R Us?

-Ray

Maybe they are invading BOTH! Somewhere among the radioactive remains of the New York City, is the Times Square TRU. It might be a bit charred, but there might be evidence of a once "pink" aisle.

Perhaps the doll in the cave in the first film came from the same TRU!!!

Back