Hot Toys Pepper Potts/MKIX review, People's Picks voting

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Crawford

Super Freak
Reaction score
As promised, it's going to be an all sixth scale week. Fear not, I think next week will be an all statue week...back to tonight's review, this time covering the Hot Toys Iron Man 3 twin pack of Pepper Potts and the MKIX! I'm looking at the exclusive version, which included an extra accessory. And I'm pretty sure her thumbs are okay. You can find my review here:

Review and photos of Hot Toys Iron Man MK IX, Pepper Pots action figure

BTW, one of the things I complain about is how high the Pepper head sits on the MKIX - if you put it on the MK42, would it sit properly? It doesn't look like it to me (the head is very shallow), but I figured someone must have tried...

And it's almost the end of the line for voting in the People's Picks! The judges will wrap their Poppies voting on Friday, and that's when I'll close the People's Picks ballot as well. Get your vote in now!

Here is the The People's Picks Ballot for 2015 - vote now!

Thanks for reading!

Michael

Last edited:
I presume you are talking about the helmeted Pepper head? If so, that is made for the 42, not the IX. It's not designed to be used with other armours, and wouldn't properly fit on any other than maybe the 43.

Yes, I know that - that wasn't my question. The head is very shallow - there's almost no space inside the head for the neck post, which is what makes it sit high on the IX. I'm asking if someone has tried it on the 42 to see if the design works, since I don't recall the neck on the 42 being all that different. It's really bugging me though, so I might just go out to the barn and dig out the die cast 42 and see...if I have enough spare time tonight.

Yeah, it's a 42 helmet designed to fit on the 42 armour. I can't imagine it would fit on any others as that isn't what it was made for. Besides, the helmet design is completely different to all other armours, with the exception of the 43.

To answer your question, yes it is shallow. I have the onesixthkit version and it's the same. It does sit low as designed. It shouldn't be on the IX as the neck post height is different. It should sit just fine on the XLII and XLIII.
Ryan

Well, I'm hoping someone has actually tried it on the 42. Sideshow didn't include an photos with it, and I didn't find any with a quick google search. I can't lay my hands on a 42 right now, but man, it's just hard to imaging it not riding high on any neck. I didn't dock it since I can't really call it a problem though.

Well, I'm hoping someone has actually tried it on the 42. Sideshow didn't include an photos with it, and I didn't find any with a quick google search. I can't lay my hands on a 42 right now, but man, it's just hard to imaging it not riding high on any neck. I didn't dock it since I can't really call it a problem though.

I'm pretty sure that there were some photos at the time of release. I wouldn't worry about it, the helmet was designed for the 42 and so should sit perfectly.

Not a great angle, I know, but here it is on the 42.

Pepper.jpg

The 42 and 43 have a 2 step neck post so it sits lower in the armor. The VII (or IX in this case) has a higher neck post otherwise the shoulder pods wouldn't fit properly. Here's pics of my actual figure just like above.

Ryan

On a related note, it was bugging me so much earlier in the evening yesterday that between making dinner and picking up the kids from their after school activities, I went back out to the barn to try to find my 42 again. I'd already done a brief search when I shot the review, but I was really perplexed as to how that head was going to fit on any neck post. There just seems to be no room! So I tried searching again, and I gotta tell you, I'm going to be so glad when the mythical day arrives that I'm done with my 'collection inventory' that seems to go on, and on, and on. I combed over the two huge piles of sixth scale boxes, trying to find the 42 or the 43...found the Iron Patriot, the XX, the XIV, Heartbreaker, Tank, Hell, even Whiplash and II and III (older stuff tends to end up higher on the pile as I go through older boxes slowly but surely), but the 42 is buried in there somewhere and I had no luck.

I did get enough time at Christmas to go from about half done to closer to 2/3rds...but I'm still months away from having it done and being ready to set things up. Someday I'll be back in a spot where all the important figures are right at hand, or I'll be dead. Odds are still even at this point.

Anyone think the Silver Samouri helmet will fit on the MKIX? The reason I ask is because the MKIX is the only armor the looks like something that would really fit RDJ. The other armors are so much more taller that it would be impossible for RDJ to fit inside.

Thanks again the for the excellent review. As you mentioned, it's great that these secondary or tertiary characters are made available.

I do see the likeness to Gwyneth Paltrow in the Pepper sculpt but I disagree (just a smidge) with your score of the sculpt.

As you sort of alluded to, her jaw seems a little off and makes her appear slightly "manly".... but I believe it's the dull expression on Pepper's face (with the eyes and mouth) that really hurts it overall. I know that Hot Toys typically only does a neutral expression but I wish there was at least a slight smirk or an alternate head with Pepper smiling, which I think is more true to the spirit of her character and is more feminine looking.

Is the light-up head worth it?

I've been on the fence for a while now about whether to get the Non-EX or the Sideshow Exclusive just for the light up head... Between taxes and shipping, I would probably save $40 by going non-EX from a different retailer.

I don't think it's worth it - it's a nice add if you really want the helmeted head and the MKIX, but not just for the light up helmet.

The jaw line does cause issues, and it's because a normal human's jaw doesn't overhang the neck so much back below the ear. It's still one of those areas where a two piece head/neck is tough to pull off at times.

I don't think it's worth it - it's a nice add if you really want the helmeted head and the MKIX, but not just for the light up helmet.

The jaw line does cause issues, and it's because a normal human's jaw doesn't overhang the neck so much back below the ear. It's still one of those areas where a two piece head/neck is tough to pull off at times.

The jaw line does have it's issues, but at least were not talking Robert Z'dar (RIP) level issues. If the name isn't familiar, Google it. I guarantee his face is familiar.
Ryan

I do see the likeness to Gwyneth Paltrow in the Pepper sculpt but I disagree (just a smidge) with your score of the sculpt.

Agreed. I think you're being way too positive. 3,5... I can see a 3, but would probably give it 2 or 2,5. It does look like Paltrow from certain angles, agreed. But from other angles... it looks nothing like her. But I generally think you're too generous with your scores.

I do agree that it's so nice to see this B, C and D level characters. They are fun to have, and I would like to support Hot Toys in keeping this up, but at 220 USD, for me at least, it just needs to be way better.

Hope you guys do a Hottoyscast again soon. I miss the show!

Agreed. I think you're being way too positive. 3,5... I can see a 3, but would probably give it 2 or 2,5. It does look like Paltrow from certain angles, agreed. But from other angles... it looks nothing like her. But I generally think you're too generous with your scores.

I do agree that it's so nice to see this B, C and D level characters. They are fun to have, and I would like to support Hot Toys in keeping this up, but at 220 USD, for me at least, it just needs to be way better.

Hope you guys do a Hottoyscast again soon. I miss the show!

I recently subscribed to the Hottoyscast and enjoy the show.

But I had to stop listening in the car because I didn't want to miss all the useful pics that are pushed to the screen during the podcast.

I'm familiar with most of the figures that are discussed but there are some that are new to me so I try to listen to the show when I'm not preoccupied with driving - safety first!

New Hottoycast any day I assume - we recorded one a couple weeks ago, but Eamon has been swamped and hasn't had time to edit and push it out.

Back