Hot Toys Movie Masterpiece 1/6 Mandarin Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your pictures are quite nice.

jtEM5iu.gif

Honestly, I can understand people's disappointment in the sense of wanting The Mandarin that the trailers portrayed over what we ended up getting. And, I can also understand that the way in which the twist is done ruins the movie for them as well. But, I think saying that it is a slap in the face or an insult to fans is going a little overboard. Hollywood has always taken a big steaming **** on comic book villains:

a Lex Luthor whose grand scheme was .... acquiring real estate
a Joker who killed Batman's parents
a Catwoman who was resurected by cats and had 9 lives
a Penguin who is a circus freak and child killer and lives in the sewers
a Riddler played by Jim Carrey playing Jim Carrey
a Bane who is a zombified, illiterate goon for Poison Ivy
a Mr Freeze played by Arnold Schwarzenegger
a Green Goblin Power Ranger
a Doc Ock who's not really a bad guy, just greiving for his dead wife(and who also doesn't like wearing shirts)
a Sandman who's not really a bad guy, just misunderstood, and very remorseful
a Ra's al Ghul who trains Bruce Wayne and who now fights crime by destroying cities
a Joker that isn't created by some sort of tragic chemical bath but just has scars and make up
a Bane who isn't enhanced in any way shape or form, he also ends up being a henchman, and his awesome origin.... yeah not really his.

Now, I'm not necessarily dissing all of these characters. Some of these versions I happened to like, some I didn't. But the fact is filmakers put their stamp on a particular hero through their villains. They can't change a hero so much that they become unrecognizable and still be profitable, but they can take liberties with their villains. The Mandarin being an image fed to a public to incense fear while the true "spiritual" Mandarin operates incognito is just another change made to a villain. Now whether or not you enjoyed this particular incarnation is a matter of personal preferance. But let's be honest with ourselves, it is extremely rare that we get villains that are true to their comic book counterparts. Trevor Slattery is just the latest in a long line and is hardly unique in these alterations.

The Mandarin, as portrayed in IM 3 is in my opinion a very clever jab at how the West views "terrorists.". What we are fed by the media is taken as fact. The images and storyline manipulated to create fear, doubt, hatred; leading to the erosion of personal rights and freedoms.

I thought the scene with Iron Patriot busting his way into a woman's garment factory very ironic. "let's crush the terrorist with the weapon and symbol of the USA, only to fumble the ball, missing the true target, trampling another countries industry and soft targets.

I am probably reading to much into the movie but I thought the Mandarin character to be a brilliant portrayal and plot device.

TDKR did the same thing essentially, we were led to think bane was the main villain, while in reality it was talia. only difference is bane could actually fight

Now, I'm not necessarily dissing all of these characters. Some of these versions I happened to like, some I didn't. But the fact is filmakers put their stamp on a particular hero through their villains. They can't change a hero so much that they become unrecognizable and still be profitable, but they can take liberties with their villains. The Mandarin being an image fed to a public to incense fear while the true "spiritual" Mandarin operates incognito is just another change made to a villain. Now whether or not you enjoyed this particular incarnation is a matter of personal preferance. But let's be honest with ourselves, it is extremely rare that we get villains that are true to their comic book counterparts. Trevor Slattery is just the latest in a long line and is hardly unique in these alterations.

The Mandarin, as portrayed in IM 3 is in my opinion a very clever jab at how the West views "terrorists.". What we are fed by the media is taken as fact. The images and storyline manipulated to create fear, doubt, hatred; leading to the erosion of personal rights and freedoms.

I thought the scene with Iron Patriot busting his way into a woman's garment factory very ironic. "let's crush the terrorist with the weapon and symbol of the USA, only to fumble the ball, missing the true target, trampling another countries industry and soft targets.

I am probably reading to much into the movie but I thought the Mandarin character to be a brilliant portrayal and plot device.

While I definitely agree with you both, I still cannot emphasize this point enough as well:

Kingsley’s true character? A clueless, cowering, dim-witted actor named Trevor.

It’s not that The Mandarin isn’t in the movie — it’s just that he’s not the character you think he is, which leads to one of the most unexpected twists in the mythology of any recent superhero saga. Instead we find out that Guy Pearce’s scientist-entrepreneur Aldrich Killian is the true mastermind, although in the Extremis graphic novel, he is merely a desperate scientist who commits suicide after selling the formula to a domestic terror group.

In Iron Man 3, the character gets to go full on Big Bad. “Ultimately we do give you the Mandarin, the real guy, but it’s Guy Pearce in the end with the big dragon tattooed on his chest,” Black says. “He says, ‘You don’t understand, I’ve been this guy since I was born. I’ve been embodying him in this [actor] that I’ve had proxying for me, but it’s really me.’”

Feige notes that every character in the movies — from Tony Stark to his various villains — has some degree of variation from the comics.

“There was a point where it becomes an extreme change,” Feige acknowledges. “It was nerve wracking.”

You can find the rest of the whole interview surrounding the twist and the idea behind it in the following link: https://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/05/04/iron-man-3-mandarin-spoiler/

Also some shameless advertising of my own analysis on the whole Mandarin controversy: https://ronriii.tumblr.com/post/50492140064/aldrich-killian-is-the-mandarin

but it was a terrorist garment factory. :lol

..hmmm.. I took it as a trap, with a local labor 'human shield' element, so the bad guys have a propaganda edge if any shooting starts.. kind of a new twist on the 'contractors on the Death Star' conundrum.. no?

Instead of a Mandarin/Killian 2 pack, I think a Mandarin/Trevor DX would be a cooler figure. Do something like the Bruce Lee DX. 2 sculpts, 1 body (with the option of an EX version having an extra body), & 2 sets of clothing, chair, backdrop, & other smaller various accessories. So you can have Trevor in straight up Mandarin mode, or Trevor being Trevor.

I want Killian, but he can have his own separate figure.

Even if HT do that, if they don't get an accurate likeness, I think my interest will automatically diminish. & if it's a DX figure, then that means PERS usually right? If done wrong, it might ruin the likeness.

Instead of a Mandarin/Killian 2 pack, I think a Mandarin/Trevor DX would be a cooler figure. Do something like the Bruce Lee DX. 2 sculpts, 1 body (with the option of an EX version having an extra body), & 2 sets of clothing, chair, backdrop, & other smaller various accessories. So you can have Trevor in straight up Mandarin mode, or Trevor being Trevor.

Even if HT do that, if they don't get an accurate likeness, I think my interest will automatically diminish. & if it's a DX figure, then that means PERS usually right? If done wrong, it might ruin the likeness.

Would buy. Dear Lord Unicron I would buy.

I'm not arguing either side, but that's a terrible defense.

https://www.the-numbers.com/movies/franchise/Twilight

People like what people like. Just like people in the theaters laugh at lines that aren't really that I don't really find all that funny. Most of society doesn't over analyze this stuff (nor should they since that causes a whole other wet of problems i dont want to get into). They just go to the cinema for entertainment and watch something that either they or someone who dragged them thought looked cool.

Would love a separate Killian too (suited version and one showing off his Extremis abilities along with the dragon tattoos). Though a Mandarin/Trevor DX would be amazing, not to mention it'd be HT's biggest troll move yet. :lol

What i find funny is people say "if" they make Mandarin/ Trevor. They deff are, the figure has been sculpted. The real question for me is when. This is a deff buy for me, im not a huge fan of the twist but am a HUGE fan of the look. He will look very cool next to the mark 42 Iron Man. For those who dont want him, dont buy him. But to think this figure wont be released is silly. I just hope he comes with the sunglasses and maybe a chair.

Back