Hot Toys Movie Masterpiece 1/6 Mandarin Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty much.

It's ridiculous how much butt-hurt a lot of fans are by the twist and the Wiki article of the Mandarin has had its fair share of people continually insisting that there's no actual Mandarin in the film after all (due to their dislike of the twist), blatantly ignoring the fact that Shane Black had recently admitted that Killian is actually the MCU's version of the Mandarin. :slap

That's what I don't understand. Especially since he literally screams into the camera "I am the Mandarin!"

That's what I don't understand. Especially since he literally screams into the camera "I am the Mandarin!"

Cause he ain't got no 10 rings, and fu Manchu mustache.

It'd be like having a black actor suddenly screams into the camera saying " I am the joker!" with no make up or purple colored outfit. While the purple cladded, make up wearing, white actor which has been plastered all over the movie poster suddenly be a dud/decoy. At least that's what I've been hearing from the arguments that some folks are saying, and I kinda get where they are coming from.

Spoiler Spoiler:

That was pretty much my take on it as well. Great explanation.

It'd be like having a black actor suddenly screams into the camera saying " I am the joker!" with no make up or purple colored outfit. While the purple cladded, make up wearing, white actor which has been plastered all over the movie poster suddenly be a dud/decoy. At least that's what I've been hearing from the arguments that some folks are saying, and I kinda get where they are coming from.

thats-racist.gif

...just kidding

Last edited:
Spoiler Spoiler:

Except that's not the ONLY image of the Mandarin. Joker has had one general consistent and very iconic look to his character: a guy in some purple formal wear, with white skin and green hair that looks like a clown.

The Mandarin? There have been occasions where he's just worn a business suit. Hell the main image of him on Wikipedia has him powered up without a shirt and just wearing some suit pants (like oh I don't know...Killian?):lecture

Heck, I've seen some people admit that they wouldn't have minded Killian if he was portrayed by an Asian actor, so more than anything it seems more like a race issue that people are quick to side-step and label as "Mandarin RUINED FOREVAR" since it's a lot easier than bringing up the whole race issue.

Spider-Man could scream into the camera "I am Batman" doesn't make it so.

:goodpost: :exactly:

Except that's not the ONLY image of the Mandarin. Joker has had one general consistent and very iconic look to his character: a guy in some purple formal wear, with white skin and green hair that looks like a clown.

The Mandarin? There have been occasions where he's just worn a business suit. Hell the main image of him on Wikipedia has him powered up without a shirt and just wearing some suit pants (like oh I don't know...Killian?):lecture

Heck, I've seen some people admit that they wouldn't have minded Killian if he was portrayed by an Asian actor, so more than anything it seems more like a race issue that people are quick to side-step and label as "Mandarin RUINED FOREVAR" since it's a lot easier than bringing up the whole race issue.

:exactly::goodpost: Still thought it was a great movie and liked what they did with the characterS. Killian was always the better villain anyways IMO.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Good synopsis. I buy it.

The Mandarin? There have been occasions where he's just worn a business suit. Hell the main image of him on Wikipedia has him powered up without a shirt and just wearing some suit pants (like oh I don't know...Killian?):lecture.

Agreed. Here's a repost from something I said in the main movie thread. And I say this as an ARDENT Iron Man fan:

Even though he's a big Iron Man villain... it's almost by default. The truth is, the Mandarin has been involved in some pretty good stories... but nothing classic. And he's been constantly reinvented since his introduction in an effort to move away from his racist, Fu Manchu/Yellow Peril roots. I actually think sometimes the people who complain the most about what they did to him are kind of in the middle of being knowledgable about Iron Man. They know enough to know he's a big villain, but they haven't read enough actual Iron Man books to know that his treatment in the comics has been less than reverent, and in some cases, he's been purposefully pushed into the background. There's a reason the Iron Man animated series tried to turn him into a half-dragon man (ugh)! So that's why I actually felt more prepared for it. I honestly never thought I'd see Mandarin in the movie. When they announced him, I was excited. When they said Ben Kingsley was playing him... less so. That's the thing I don't get. If people are so reverent of the idea of the Mandarin, how in the hee-haw was Ben Kingsley playing him as some terrorist ring leader of non-Asian descent respectful of the source material? It's already off the rails. So taking it one step further didn't bother me. In fact, it was something of a relief.

Sadly this has to be explained at least upto an extent by the filmmakers themselves, not speculated by us

this is my problem with the mandarin, not whether its killian or not its that what about the connection to the ten rings from the first movie? was it all fake even then or what? it was never explaned and thats why i hated the whole ten rings mandarin leader in IM3

I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of the Trevor Mandarin. First is line about plastic surgery. Why would he need it unless Killian wanted him to look like some else that already exists? He could have just hired an actor that fit a certain look otherwise.

And second is the fact he didn't die. The only other Iron Man bad guy that didn't die was Hammer, which I could easily see combing with AIM if he ever gets out of prison.

So I can either see Trevor becoming the real Mandarin, possibly getting the magic rings via Thanos/Avengers 2 OR have the REAL Mandarin Trevor was playing actually surface. That's were the plastic surgery line plays in. So its possible Kingsley could play both Trevor and/or the real Mandarin again in the future.

It might not be all that likely, but its possible. Killian appears to be the real Mandarin but I could also see the REAL real Mandarin using him as pawn, letting him think he's the real Mandarin.

you people have to understand, killian is the mandarin, whether you like it or not.

Buttmunch The hell ever happened to hammer? he just disappeared.

you people have to understand, killian is the mandarin, whether you like it or not.

Buttmunch The hell ever happened to hammer? he just disappeared.

i know killian was the real mandarin but what i didnt like was his story about the ten rings and how it connects to the first movie

Killian was only the Mandarin in the same way that your parents were really Santa Clause. Yes, if you want to be technical about it they were the reality behind the myth, but that doesn't mean they were living in the North Pole and hanging out with elves.

For all intents and purposes there was no Mandarin.

Killian yells he is the real mandarin, what else do you need? I know some people have problems accepting this but come on! Do you expect the posters and toys to spoil everything and call the fake one Trevor? .. Wtf, the script and the story have the last word, you can't define a character based on his name in the credits :rotfl

Last edited:
Killian yells he is the real mandarin, what else do you need? I know some people have problems accepting this but come one! Do you expect the posters and toys to spoil everything and call the fake one Trevor? .. Wtf, the script and the story have the last word, you can't define a character based on his name in the credits :rotfl

some people cannot accept reality, marvel duped all of the people who still dont think he's the mandarin

Back