1/6 Hot Toys - MMS494 - Solo: A Star Wars Story Patrol Trooper

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well i have been roughing out the shape myself and reckon you could "get away with" a shade over 23 inches(Not including the nose "antenna").
Just a sharpie sketch on a big sheet of paper:

Photo%2031-07-2019%2013%2041%2025.jpg

Cool. Personally I don't think anyone would really question the length. Well guys at least :lol

By the way what did you do to your Patrol Trooper ? It almost looked like a mashup of different armours at first glance with the blue stripe.

Cool. Personally I don't think anyone would really question the length. Well guys at least :lol

Lol. They say size doesn't matter, of course.

By the way what did you do to your Patrol Trooper ? It almost looked like a mashup of different armours at first glance with the blue stripe.

It's not strictly speaking a proper Patrol trooper, it is just a placeholder right now, till my two Patrol Troopers arrive.
It's a First Order Stormtrooper with the fatsuit removed. It's wearing a slightly altered Patrol Trooper helmet(The Patrol trooper helmet has a very shallow ball joint inside, so i replaced it with a longer one from a FO Snowtrooper helmet). It has had the FO thigh guards and boots removed, and replaced with Patrol trooper boots. I might put on the Patrol Trooper trousers too.
For now it's just a stand-in for scaling this speeder.
If i get half an hour spare at work tomorrow, i might try and throw together a mockup of the shape to see if a figure would look good on it.

Oh, and i was fooling around with vinyl colours on the armour. I started with black stripes, before i replaced the boots, and considered using another colour. I might do all the armour pieces eventually. It's all about finding a colour that looks cool.

5FED8A14-927C-499A-9674-8BF7312572A3.jpg

I had some time at work today and put together a quick mock-up.
Just rough. And it’s a bit too thick in the body, but I reckon it looks good in length.

Cool. Nice timing. My trooper just turned up today. :yess:

I'd definitely agree about the width. I guess you also be adding panels to the outer surfaces, so it will also increase in thickness as well.

Just out of interest what type of material did you make the mockup from ?

So just unpacked.

"Ahhhh there's nothing like the smell of new Hot Toys plastic in the morning......"

He's a very cool figure. Love it ! So much cool detail.

...and really stiff, stable, rock solid joints. Sideshow would drool at those joints :lol

IMG_8238.jpg

Looking great so far

Thanks.
If i get a chance over the weekend, i'll try to make another one.

Cool. Nice timing. My trooper just turned up today. :yess:

I'd definitely agree about the width. I guess you also be adding panels to the outer surfaces, so it will also increase in thickness as well.

Just out of interest what type of material did you make the mockup from ?

The mockup is made from sheet styrene.
Although making it the wrong thickness might seem like a failure, lol, i have learned a lot from the shape in 3d that didn't occur to me from a 2d drawing, so i have this to work from to take sizes from with the second protoype.
And i will probably still use this build as my own speeder. It really does have a nice OT-look to it. Nice and blocky. I just need to go into my model kit storeroom and source some cool greeblies for the part between the mandibles.

So just unpacked.

"Ahhhh there's nothing like the smell of new Hot Toys plastic in the morning......"

...and really stiff, stable, rock solid joints. Sideshow would drool at those joints :lol

Nice!
Does it get into a speeder-riding pose easily?
I have two on the way from Sideshow, but neither has arrived yet.

So just unpacked.

I love this figure too, he just looks so in keeping to me with the OT. He's a trooper with such small screen time, but he instantly became one of my favourite Star Wars figures.

The design is great. I think it works better than his cousin, the Shoretrooper.

I love this figure too, he just looks so in keeping to me with the OT. He's a trooper with such small screen time, but he instantly became one of my favourite Star Wars figures.

The design is great. I think it works better than his cousin, the Shoretrooper.

Yeah, he is very well designed. As much as I love my Shoretrooper, there was a lineup pic of this guy, Shoretrooper and another Stormie. The Shoretrooper did look a little plain in design. But still in line with the original Stormtroopers having no bells and whistles.

This guy has a lot going on. But that's what makes him cool I think.

In the end I'm happy I've got both :yess:

I had some time at work today and put together a quick mock-up.
Just rough. And it’s a bit too thick in the body, but I reckon it looks good in length.
1cee00d256882beae741d1eaba4f163b.jpg

668e3048787bcefff47b48a80b5fb0a7.jpg
d518878ca86e0891c6c2688e16cd8262.jpg

This is great work, Username:clap Look forward to the progress pics.

So just unpacked.

View attachment 464043

Congrats Hoody! It's a very good looking trooper.

Thanks.
If I have time tomorrow, I’ll pop in to work and try and get another one made.
I love the blocky design of it.
It really works and it’s easy to imagine these things rolling around “just out of camera frame” in the OT.

Yeah totally. Especially in the cities. Maybe not so many in Mos Eisley :lol

Would love to know how you achieve such a clean join with the Styrene sheeting. Do you use any sort of jig or edge ?

Or is it just the black that you don't see the closer detail ? :lol

If you wouldn't mind taking a couple of "making of" snaps if you go into work, That would be appreciated. I may even end up making one of these at some point. (I've made some boxes in the past from styrene, and they were a bit fiddly.)

Would love to know how you achieve such a clean join with the Styrene sheeting. Do you use any sort of jig or edge ?

I use a Swann Morton number 26 scalpel in a number 4 handle and always use a steel rule with cork underlay. I always draw the shape on the styrene and make sharp cuts using the scribe and pop method.

If you wouldn't mind taking a couple of "making of" snaps if you go into work, That would be appreciated. I may even end up making one of these at some point. (I've made some boxes in the past from styrene, and they were a bit fiddly.)

Here are the “making of” images from this build.
I started with a long structural beam with a camera tripod threaded insert screwed into it. All the rest of the pieces were added on top. Hopefully the build looks like a logical progression. This was the easiest way I could think of to build this shape. But I have since worked out a better way.
Enjoy.

ba93587d81401a553bfeada632c46b90.jpg

d305708810b1fc4852e0fd11ce602fab.jpg

4f3f6118b4cddfb557fe11c311aa7530.jpg

ddec5f617b3da7f4e22d03eaa2d25dfb.jpg

98b33fd77fb219d42ec6657044b580ed.jpg

OK sweet. Thanks for the pics. I just need a better ruler I think, but otherwise I have a similar setup. Perhaps practice also helps too :lol

I can also see how I would do things a little differently. Perhaps start the boxes seperate to the main beam. Then add the boxes at a later stage.

Are your greeblies just leftovers from old models ? Or do you get them in other ways ? I have a collection going, but sometimes wish some company like Bandai would do some interesting greeblie spruhs. Maybe I just need to search e-Bay for some really cheap kits and plunder them.

OK sweet. Thanks for the pics. I just need a better ruler I think, but otherwise I have a similar setup. Perhaps practice also helps too :lol

Practice does help a lot.
No substitute for experience when building.
Here's the Ruler i use for small cuts:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Helix-inch...l+ruler&qid=1565441214&s=officeproduct&sr=1-1
I can recommend it and have half a dozen of them strewn about my work spaces.

I can also see how I would do things a little differently. Perhaps start the boxes seperate to the main beam. Then add the boxes at a later stage.

I'd counsel against that, mainly because i use the absolute rigidity of the main beam to add pieces to, building up as i go.
Next run through will be different, and i will take WIP images to show my thinking as to the changes.

Are your greeblies just leftovers from old models ? Or do you get them in other ways ? I have a collection going, but sometimes wish some company like Bandai would do some interesting greeblie spruhs. Maybe I just need to search e-Bay for some really cheap kits and plunder them.

Yeah. My storeroom is just mountains of kits and boxes of parts from "plundered" kits.
Here's an old video of my stash room:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHtNPHHIeWk

Practice does help a lot.
No substitute for experience when building.
Here's the Ruler i use for small cuts:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Helix-inch...l+ruler&qid=1565441214&s=officeproduct&sr=1-1
I can recommend it and have half a dozen of them strewn about my work spaces.

I'd counsel against that, mainly because i use the absolute rigidity of the main beam to add pieces to, building up as i go.
Next run through will be different, and i will take WIP images to show my thinking as to the changes.

Yeah. My storeroom is just mountains of kits and boxes of parts from "plundered" kits.
Here's an old video of my stash room:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHtNPHHIeWk

Damn, that is a stash and a half ! Did you used to have a toy shop ?

Damn, that is a stash and a half ! Did you used to have a toy shop ?

Lol. Just a misguided youth wasting my cash on model kits.
I popped in to work this morning and got a new frame made. Should be stronger than the other one and will be a better base. It will be all set up by the time I get back to my office at work on Monday.

15429b643bdc97ae9d9953a2f7b5c4d2.jpg

a02df85b1a66bbd283bbd1f1204e6449.jpg

a8a54e0d8cd0291075ad3f3cefc100cd.jpg

8b1ea7852eb2c37c46e630108d8b0829.jpg

bb1861b683cf9c82cae1c5492d383669.jpg

13386b9d6c8c62b94d15a8c54ae39d8c.jpg

Back