1/6 Hot Toys - MMS477 / MMS478 - Star Wars Episode III: Obi-Wan Kenobi (Std & Dlx)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys - MMS477 / MMS478 - Star Wars Episode III: Obi-Wan Kenobi (Std & Dlx)

I still see plenty of Ewan in the sculpt, especially in that video.

Re: Hot Toys - MMS477 / MMS478 - Star Wars Episode III: Obi-Wan Kenobi (Std & Dlx)

The only thing I can think is they just thought the added wrinkles made him look too old. Because I'm not really seeing any other changes to the face when I look at a side by side comparison.

Fair enough...maybe I'm over-reacting. Looking at the video again it does look decent. Yes the hair is darker and the features softer. It should still rock on display with Anakin...

I’m not sure I buy the licensor intervened line one bit. What, they asked that HT make the hair more blocky and uniform in color? Black Panther just suffered from similar issues — bad translation with the hair and beard.

I’m not sure I buy the licensor intervened line one bit. What, they asked that HT make the hair more blocky and uniform in color? Black Panther just suffered from similar issues — bad translation with the hair and beard.

Same. After all it's pretty easy to pass the buck and lay any blame at the feet of faceless and nameless others who are never going to be able to be questioned on the matter. Deflection 101.

Doesn't really look like a licensor mandated type of change to me either but these days I wouldn't put anything past the nincompoops that run Star Wars. They could **** up anything.

Actually I find it dishonest of HT not revealing final pre-production changes in proto designs. Moreover, they can share photos of first batches.

Same. After all it's pretty easy to pass the buck and lay any blame at the feet of faceless and nameless others who are never going to be able to be questioned on the matter. Deflection 101.

It’s possible. People in other companies have stated this before about other figures. Nonetheless it does nothing to further this figure. Hopefully they learn from it. That’s all we can hope for. Dooku, Yoda, Commandy Cody. Hopefully they see us RATIONAL fans fully approving of those prototypes and working on them to stay as close as possible to the prototypes.

I honestly don’t think this is to the level of debate it’s caused. It does appear to be “softer” but not god awful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doesn't really look like a licensor mandated type of change to me either but these days I wouldn't put anything past the nincompoops that run Star Wars. They could **** up anything.
True.

Some Twitch guys that I used to watch all the time, one of them was a freelance video producer who did a lot of corporate videos and commercials. He sometimes talked about how he had learned over the years to purposefully leave little mistakes in the first edits of the videos he submitted. Because the company guys would ask for changes every time, no matter what. So he figured he could either submit his final edits and have them still request nonsensical changes, or just go ahead and leave a few errors in on purpose for them to pick out instead. Either way, his clients just needed to feel like they had some control/input in the process whether necessary or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where exactly are we all getting that this was a licensor thing? I know someone said JC Hong said it, but I went on his Instagram page and I didn't see anything that suggests he said it was a licensor issue. Where exactly did Hong say this?

The Hot Toys photographer photos did not look great to me. In Justin's video however I think the figure looks amazing (definitely like Ewan to me) so I am really excited to receive him. I am one of those probably very few that hopes Hot Toys does produce a Mustafar battle Obi-Wan with a special base as it will be my excuse to have 2 Obi-Wans and have two different displays at the same time. I really loved the character and the Mustafar battle is my favorite Star Wars scene.

Hot Toys - MMS477 / MMS478 - Star Wars Episode III: Obi-Wan Kenobi (Std & Dlx)

let's all subscribe in this chanel cuz this guy just save the whole topic about the situation on the figure, it's really good and deserve our attention
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLfMN2HzXoc

He says that the head is “fine” but that he thought the prototype head he has seen at Secret Base was way better. But I agree, this channel has been doing some good videos recently.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

let's all subscribe in this chanel cuz this guy just save the whole topic about the situation on the figure, it's really good and deserve our attention
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLfMN2HzXoc

Wow, it's really clear in those closeups just how much they've de-aged him and removed most of the wrinkles and bags under the eyes. So baffling why they felt the need to do that.

Yeah, I didn’t really like the look of the sculpt in that review. The facial details on the sculpt just looked really flat.

I just don’t know about this release. This was the only other PT figure I wanted in addition to Anakin, but at this moment I feel that if I get him, I’m sort of forcing myself to get him simply so I can complete the PT duo of him and Anakin, but from a pure figure standpoint, I’m just not really feelin’ it.

There’s still plenty of in hand pictures to be seen though and I’m sure he’s in no danger of selling out any time soon, so plenty of time to contemplate.

An odd day when the Mythos Obi looks more like Obi than HT Obi

Michael Jordan tongue shows up in that review a couple times. Seems like it's usually not there though.

obi-tongue-kenobi.jpg

Michael Jordan tongue shows up in that review a couple times. Seems like it's usually not there though.

View attachment 449763

Yeah, its def one of those figures that looks great from certain angles and lighting, but also when lighting is done wrong, you get that Jordan tongue. I think the light cast downward makes a shadow under the mustache, making the place under his actual lip look bumped out/like a bottom lip, then the actual bottom lip gets the tongue look. Im thinking in direct light or side angles, it looks 100% normal

Back