Hot Toys MMS429 - Return of the Jedi Luke Skywalker

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man... this shots make evident another problem with this head sculpt: expression.
Not too fierce, right? Especially for a movie where the climax is a very intense ass-kicking...
What do you guys think? A bit more resolution in that gaze would have been better? :)
Regards,
m.

I don't see this as a problem. HT had to go with one, and in this case they chose a neutral one. People can as good as pose Luke not fighting with Vader (i.e. only with C3PO and R2), where this expression would fit perfectly.

If you want to cover several expressions of a character in a movie, you need several head sculpts.

I'll be posting in here forever dude. This forum is not your property. I don't mind you and you buddies ignoring me. I know logic and empirical evidence are on my side, not on yours.

And since you seem to be in the know, why don't you have the guts to go all the way and end your insinuation? :)

m.

haha!

I think something's leaking in your basement/bedroom as it seems the fumes have effected your mind. Might want to go outside, get some fresh air.

Also, for gods sakes man, learn how to post a gif :wink1:

Everytime I read one of your weird worded posts, I think of this guy.

tumblr_nna66f29cT1rlo1q2o1_540.gif

You're hard at work telling us why we shouldn't like Return of the Jedi Luke.

I am not asking for some snarling face, as you seem to have understood. I complain because the expression on this particular head sculpt seems to me particularly relaxed. Too much, for what this figure is likely to be used.

A good chunk of Hot Toys marketing pics revolve around action scenes for which Luke's expression is lacking intensity:

1) Kicking some ass at Jabba's.

2) Sail Barge scene.

3) Duel with Vader.

These are all very important scenes, likely to be the ones enacted by collectors, and they are all action scenes demanding a more intense expression. But there are even more:

4) The rancor pit.

5) Speeder bike chase.

6) Falling into an Ewok trap.

I think I could still go on cerebus23, so I can't agree on your 80% statement.

Others scenes where a more intense look would have been AT LEAST ok:

7) "Convincing" Bib and Jabba (with the hood on, it would be very much ok).

8) At Yoda's death bed (with Yoda dying in front of him, intensity on Luke's face would be likely).

9) Convincing Vader (what an intense moment that one, nonetheless, hatred is something people have difficulty to get rid of...).

10) You are my sister (intense too, but not in a hateful mood... the intensity I ask for could be made appropiate for this scene if done well)

All things considered, I think it is clear a more intense expression would have been preferred, being the current one too relaxed for what are likely to be the more frequent use cases of this particular figure.

LOL
m.

Lol yea right 80% of the movie luke is a full blown jedi with a extremely neutral face, but naw they should have sculpted that angry face in the throne room/vader fight.

And f anyone else that wanted the jedi face expression that fits most of the movie and most scenes.

Many collectors just expose their figures in isolation, as idols, without any external interaction. In those cases, the chosen pose might be a fighting one in many instances (nonetheless you have the lightsaber accessories, and a good chunk of the movie consists in relevant fighting). Then there would be those who will pose the figure in interaction with others. Many of those are also likely to choose fighting scenes. Even some non-fighting scenes could also benefit of a more intense gaze. All these considerations drive me to think that a more intense expression would have better satisfied the most use cases, hence rendering the expression chosen by HT as suboptimal.

As you point out, this is no deal breaker (I never said it was, incidentally), BUT what I do state is that the solution chosen by HT is suboptimal.

There is another relevant point you made, that I also consider a mistake on HT's side: this Luke deserved a DX treatment, with PERS, several faces, and all. HT didn't necessarily have to go the MMS way. This is not some transient Jack Sparrow. This is frigging Luke Skyfriggingwalker in his Jedi work outfit. Yet, the former has got several DXs, the latter none. And I don't think this could be pinned down to low sales...

Regards,
m.

I don't see this as a problem. HT had to go with one, and in this case they chose a neutral one. People can as good as pose Luke not fighting with Vader (i.e. only with C3PO and R2), where this expression would fit perfectly.

If you want to cover several expressions of a character in a movie, you need several head sculpts.

:)
Charming to the last.
Go on. Please.

https://media.giphy.com/media/2c0cuLhscUkTu/source.gif

m.

haha!

I think something's leaking in your basement/bedroom as it seems the fumes have effected your mind. Might want to go outside, get some fresh air.

Also, for gods sakes man, learn how to post a gif :wink1:

Everytime I read one of your weird worded posts, I think of this guy.

tumblr_nna66f29cT1rlo1q2o1_540.gif

You're hard at work telling us why we shouldn't like Return of the Jedi Luke.

Many collectors just expose their figures in isolation, as idols, without any external interaction. In those cases, the chosen pose might be a fighting one in many instances (nonetheless you have the lightsaber accessories, and a good chunk of the movie consists in relevant fighting). Then there would be those who will pose the figure in interaction with others. Many of those are also likely to choose fighting scenes. Even some non-fighting scenes could also benefit of a more intense gaze. All these considerations drive me to think that a more intense expression would have better satisfied the most use cases, hence rendering the expression chosen by HT as suboptimal.

As you point out, this is no deal breaker (I never said it was, incidentally), BUT what I do state is that the solution chosen by HT is suboptimal.

There is another relevant point you made, that I also consider a mistake on HT's side: this Luke deserved a DX treatment, with PERS, several faces, and all. HT didn't necessarily have to go the MMS way. This is not some transient Jack Sparrow. This is frigging Luke Skyfriggingwalker in his Jedi work outfit. Yet, the former has got several DXs, the latter none. And I don't think this could be pinned down to low sales...

Regards,
m.

Got your point. But I guess we can't have everything in our lifes. The only question is, if you like this figure enough to accept the flaws and to spend over 200 USD or not. Well, I do ;-)

I'm imagining a scene like this will be cool once we have the emperor and throne.

View attachment 414152

That is exactly what I am going to do.
Currently also looking for C3PO and R2D2 to pose with him :)

I like the expression. Calm relaxed confident Jedi Luke is what I see. That’s why I’m getting two.

The intense sculpt will come with the Endor Luke. Which I will also be picking up. Remember that the instructions specifically said the hair comes off to interchange accessories so if you want a different expression I’m sure you will be able to do that.

Ehm... What instructions? Those that com with the first HT Jedi Luke? I still haven't received mine. Could you please further comment on that?

Should it be as you say... man... perfection might be closing in... (even if it will take shelling out even more moolah)

m.

I like the expression. Calm relaxed confident Jedi Luke is what I see. That’s why I’m getting two.

The intense sculpt will come with the Endor Luke. Which I will also be picking up. Remember that the instructions specifically said the hair comes off to interchange accessories so if you want a different expression I’m sure you will be able to do that.

What you point out as the question, has never been one in my mind: I POed this guy the moment it was possible.

As I said in my original post, the one that has originated all the stir, even with its flaws, this sculpt still manages to be a fine example of HTs sculpting powerhouse. At this price point, though, I had hoped for more, and having bit the bullet doesn't keep me from wanting to point out what could have been done better.

Regards,
m.

Got your point. But I guess we can't have everything in our lifes. The only question is, if you like this figure enough to accept the flaws and to spend over 200 USD or not. Well, I do ;-)

Oh BTW, regarding the whole DX thing:

I have understood what HT actually was after: what is even better than a DX? What allows you to squeeze even more money out of fans? It was obvious: putting out 2 figures, Jedi Luke and Endor Luke.

Very clever HT.

m.

Oh BTW, regarding the whole DX thing:

I have understood what HT actually was after: what is even better than a DX? What allows you to squeeze even more money out of fans? It was obvious: putting 2 figures, Jedi Luke and Endor Luke.

Very clever HT.

m.

The instruction of Jedi Luke seems to indicate a possible accessories pack later, not a completely "new" figure.
We'll have to wait and find that out.

The instruction of Jedi Luke seems to indicate a possible accessories pack later, not a completely "new" figure.
We'll have to wait and find that out.

Agreed, really would like to have an accessories pack. Unless... HT decides to fix certain issues like the fat suit or include some Endor related accessories, then would I feel tempted to buy another ROTJ Luke.

You guys ever see those posts where the overly loquacious, fedora wearing guys try to hit on girls on Facebook and it makes your skin crawl?

Yeah ....

Back