1/6 Hot Toys - MMS420 - GOTG Vol.2 - Star-Lord Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my "due in the warehouse in x days, make sure you have money on your credit card" notice. I'm just about done with new HT I think. I've resisted all other Guardians, skipped Spiderman, will skip Black Panther. Except for the inevitable Infinity War Thor and Loki, I don't see me ordering any more after Ragnarok Loki.. (except maybe Infinity Scarlet Witch as I have all 3 to date now)

I just pray every day that they are modifying the Drax upper body for IW & GotG 3.

If we even get another drax figure.. we only got 1 figure from gg2 and hot toys seems to be cutting back a bit..it’s not a guarantee anymore that they are going to produce every figure in a line. People aren’t buying up every new version anymore so sales are down thus they are producing less.. which would be a good thing. Like how many drax, star lords, captain America, Thor’s ect do people really need or want in their collection. Obviously they can’t sustain the production if sales aren’t there. Majority of people will only want 1 representation of a character, only those with mansions (massive display space) and a lot of cash to burn will buy every version. They could stop producing marvel figures now and the market would still be saturated with tons of caps, Ironman, Thor’s, Hawkeyes, black widows ect.. from all the previous movies. it seems the days of them making every new version maybe coming to an end sooner rather than later. When figures held their value people would be more apt to buy the newer versions cause they could always sell the older one and at least get their money back.. nowadays figure value declines so much when the new version comes out nobody want to play that game anymore.. you just end up losing money.. I think more people are waiting for the newer versions because they always expect hot toys will make them.. really hot toys did this to themselves by overproducing

Last edited:
We got 4 from GG2, Star-Lord, Rocket, Yondu and Baby Groot. I do agree with everything else you said. With a new marvel movie 3 times a year, more and 12 months to put out a figure HT cannot keep up. Cap, Hawkeye, Thor, etc are changing looks almost yearly.

We got 4 from GG2, Star-Lord, Rocket, Yondu and Baby Groot. I do agree with everything else you said. With a new marvel movie 3 times a year, more and 12 months to put out a figure HT cannot keep up. Cap, Hawkeye, Thor, etc are changing looks almost yearly.

Ya I forgot about rocket and groot.. but I don’t count yondu because it’s the first version of him they have made

Yeah, a lot of good points there.

There just isn't any urgency anymore for characters they've done so many times with so minor of differences. And I'm betting IW won't be as deep of a line as some think.

I'm not entirely convinced they'll release Vol 2. Drax, let alone a 3rd one from the Infinity War. Vol 2. Gamora is up in the air currently, too - which sucks for me, because I want her with no rubber arms so I can pose her. But at the end of the day, I think I would've rather had Nebula than a Vol 2. Drax or maybe even Gamora because she's a character that hasn't been made.

The one thing which you are all missing is the fact of new people are always coming to the party. I for example started with Avengers this year, and only wanted a good representation of the main Marvel characters. I certainly wasn't going to buy a figure from 2008 or any of the first ones available. I want the best head sculpt and likeness out there. That inevitably leads to wanting the latest version. (I'm sure there are enough collectors out there that want the latest and sell the old one too).

So take for example Captain America - Civil War. Latest version. Have you seen the prices ? He is by far the best version, but extremely over priced. If another was released I'd get him cause he's at retail at least. Assuming he is a good representation.

Sure the number of figures they sell maybe lower each time, but it certainly makes sense to keep upping their game. We wouldn't have anything to talk about here either :)

What I meant with Drax was that if they upgrade the body now (and god knows they need to), they have at least 2 movies to sell figures of him to re-coup the costs. I think there would also be a good amount of people who own Vol 1 version that would want to upgrade too, as the upper body is the biggest complaint for Drax.

The one thing which you are all missing is the fact of new people are always coming to the party. I for example started with Avengers this year, and only wanted a good representation of the main Marvel characters. I certainly wasn't going to buy a figure from 2008 or any of the first ones available. I want the best head sculpt and likeness out there. That inevitably leads to wanting the latest version. (I'm sure there are enough collectors out there that want the latest and sell the old one too).

I think a lot of people leave the party too though. Also, it's usually the case that the latest version is better, maybe more true for releases that are 4 or more years apart, but it's not always true that they are better. I would take Loki 1 (avengers) over 2, and 3 (from what's been shown).

So take for example Captain America - Civil War. Latest version. Have you seen the prices ? He is by far the best version, but extremely over priced. If another was released I'd get him cause he's at retail at least. Assuming he is a good representation.

Sure the number of figures they sell maybe lower each time, but it certainly makes sense to keep upping their game. We wouldn't have anything to talk about here either :)

What I meant with Drax was that if they upgrade the body now (and god knows they need to), they have at least 2 movies to sell figures of him to re-coup the costs. I think there would also be a good amount of people who own Vol 1 version that would want to upgrade too, as the upper body is the biggest complaint for Drax.

That's pretty much why I went for an Avenger lineup that was Age of Ultron. Avengers 1 is the better movie, and more iconic looks for most of them. (although personally I prefer the more modernisation of Captain America in AoU and Civil War)

That's pretty much why I went for an Avenger lineup that was Age of Ultron. Avengers 1 is the better movie, and more iconic looks for most of them. (although personally I prefer the more modernisation of Captain America in AoU and Civil War)

Yes, I've tended to gravitate towards Civil War. I know it's the latest version, and a bad time to want them considering they are pretty much sold out. I just seem to like the designs best for that movie. Sculpts are of course also very good.

I was going to hang out for Infinity War, however I didn't like getting a bearded Cap as a representation of him (although I really love the change of look). Same goes for Iron Man. The Mark 46 just looks great IMO. Infinity War version also looks good, but not a nice sweet spot between old and new takes on the design.

As far as Star Lord (topic of this thread :)) I've got the Vol 2 ordered. Awesome figure. Headsculpt and accessories wise can't go wrong.

I never originally intended to go for an Avenger display, but by the time I added a couple of figures to TDW Thor and TWS Widow I had all the original characters. I did in the end get the AoU figures of those two characters as well, to keep it all one movie, and cast my older figures into other displays..

Ideally I'd like a simple display of the team that started it all, BUT, price and availability was against me, and quite frankly the sculpts on the AoU lineup were the best lineup of the time, and frankly just looked much better. And that's what seperates these from being "toys" to me. Being able to look at them and being able to recognise the actors.

If I was to start now and go for the same characters, it's a no brainer... I'd have to go Civil War Cap, Black Widow and Hawkeye. Iron Man I'd have more flexibility (in fact I'd be inclined to hold on for VI, although you could go 45 or 46... not sure I'd pop for 47 as my Avenger Lineup figure), and I guess you'd have to go Road Worn Thor. Gladiator Thor just wouldn't look right in an Avenger display.

Mine came yesterday and I am finally sitting down to look at him. I'm absolutely blown away! I thought about keeping my Vol 1 Star-Lord, but now I think I'm gonna sell/trade him. If anyone is looking for a V1 Star-Lord, PM me and we could work out a fair price. Or if someone is looking to get rid of a Knightmare Bat or BvS Superman, I'd def be willing to neg.

Love this figure. Blows away V1 IMO.

F6C5FDDB-3D1F-44A7-9D78-61A68599EA3B.jpeg

My damn Hot Toys DX Star Lord came with a broken knee joint. Its just flopping around. I packed it right back up and contacted Sideshow.

After over 30 of these figures purchased I guess I was "due" for an issue. So disappointing.

My damn Hot Toys DX Star Lord came with a broken knee joint. Its just flopping around. I packed it right back up and contacted Sideshow.

After over 30 of these figures purchased I guess I was "due" for an issue. So disappointing.
Wow receiving a brand new Hot Toys with a broken limb? I've never heard of that before. Super unacceptable for the price.

Wow receiving a brand new Hot Toys with a broken limb? I've never heard of that before. Super unacceptable for the price.

It's definitely not unheard of. I've received a Cap with a reeeeeeally loose leg before, but yeah definitely unacceptable for the premium we are paying.

Back