1/6 Hot Toys - MMS314D12 - Iron Man: Mark III (Stealth Mode Version)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My girlfriend loves these things. She looks at new figures coming out and is excited for Drax and HB.The 1st time she came over to my place (the 1st she ever heard of or seen a hot toy figure) she was making display suggestions. Oh and we are going to fly to California next month to watch her favorite football team play and then the next day go to Honolulu for a week. In Febuary we are going to mexico for a week. I bust my butt at work so if i want to spend $300 on a dolls, clothes, shoes, coffee, guns, camera equipment, etc who cares. These are not my life but just a part, so please try not to talk for everyone.

I"m not. Again, if you feel like spending $300 on a doll is normal, more power to you man. (not really.)

You in a toy forum largely dedicated to these collectibles where 300$ is pretty much a norm..judging....

I think you joined the wrong forum bro.

"Legonomics" are really fascinating. Hard core Lego builders value the sets based on piece/block rate which last I saw is coming in around 10.4 cents USD per set block piece. If you take an example set with 75 pieces then it should cost relatively $7.50 USD. Using that metric on the bigger sets you can weigh the price per piece to see what sets really get value and what ones are overpriced for various reasons such as licensing or larger specialty plates/minifigs.

I'm sure they could teach college courses with the Lego trend and business model with as much manufacturing/ technical process that goes into their business.
:lol

As someone noted, the high end Lego sets do fetch big prices and nobody is disputing that. I'm referring to your average Lego set you see walking down the aisle of a shop, and $6-$15 is pretty much it not the vehicles and such. That'd be like using HT's $850-900 Hulkbuster as the reference point to their IM-line pricing lol, but avg retail prices for their IM armors currently is about 3 bills.

I"m not. Again, if you feel like spending $300 on a doll is normal, more power to you man. (not really.)

No it's not "normal" but what is? I used to spend $200-$300on a weekend snowmobile trip to the mountains twice a month. Collecting dolls/statues (same thing) is a little fun side hobby. I know your trolling but i do not understand people who judge others it's your life do what makes you happy as long as does not hurt others.

So what exactly are you doing here?

Your statement makes it like these is deviant behavior. Or some outlandish crazy thing. 300 dollars for a figure isn't exactly cheap...but it's not crazy either. People collect all kinds of stuff that is much more expensive and costs less to actually make. I've got a LE print on my wall that costs 100 bucks to make. Tops. At the gallery it sold for 300k. (Not what I paid). You could buy ten of every hot toys figure for that. I know a guy that collects Las Vegas show girl costumes. He has millions invested. I know people that collect coke machines and advertising and first edition books and super bowl (or championship) rings. Not everyone likes the same stuff. And what you find expensive is pocket change to someone else. And if it really is that big a problem for you I don't get why you would be on a fan site for it. Makes zero sense.

On the topic of Lego, for serious collectors the 2007 UCS series Millennium Falcon is THE holy grail set. 5000+ pieces and it requires a substantial table to sit on. Be careful trying to move it if you don't want parts of it to break off, even with a bucket load of structural technic lego holding it together. Off the top of my head they are at least a couple of thousand (plus) US to buy if you can find them anywhere online. To 'Bricklink' one by buying pieces they'll cost usually a thousand minimum (depends on your colour substitution). Some of the rare exclusive parts alone can cost almost as much as a cheap Sideshow figure.

Star wars lego in Australia is $300....

The UCS Star Wars Lego sets, as well as other bigger piece sets like Saraman's tower, cost anywhere between say 3/400 here to maybe 800+ for the likes of the Death Stars and Star Destroyers if you can still find them anywhere in NZ. Even the Star Wars lego play sets more aimed at children (like the new lineup of sets for the new movie) could cost you a couple of hundy.

I just placed an order. Because I'm weak. All it took was my fiance saying "oooh I love those colors".

That's the only seal of approval I need.

So what exactly are you doing here?

Your statement makes it like these is deviant behavior. Or some outlandish crazy thing. 300 dollars for a figure isn't exactly cheap...but it's not crazy either. People collect all kinds of stuff that is much more expensive and costs less to actually make. I've got a LE print on my wall that costs 100 bucks to make. Tops. At the gallery it sold for 300k. (Not what I paid). You could buy ten of every hot toys figure for that. I know a guy that collects Las Vegas show girl costumes. He has millions invested. I know people that collect coke machines and advertising and first edition books and super bowl (or championship) rings. Not everyone likes the same stuff. And what you find expensive is pocket change to someone else. And if it really is that big a problem for you I don't get why you would be on a fan site for it. Makes zero sense.

I really don't give a **** if my statement makes zero sense you you. That much, you can be sure of.

You are naming things that can be enjoyed by family members as well. It has absolutely no relation to what I said. A doll can only be enjoyed by you, and only you.

But, hey, you are free to justify you spending ($300 on a ****ing doll instead of an extra day in Hawaii with someone you care for) however you wish.

Thats just something i can't stomach anymore. Sorry. I just can't out of principle. IMO, of course.

They were just examples but you got the gist of it. If we wanted to bicker over technicalities how do you know I'm not an orphan, with no life partner and unable to have kids, (I can be ridiculous too)?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who 1) doesn't need to make the choice between a hot toy and vacation and 2) would rather have the figure than the extra beach day.

I don't need to justify my money, I've earned it and can do what I want with it. Why are you even here if you're so adamantly against high end figures?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really don't give a **** if my statement makes zero sense you you. That much, you can be sure of.

Actually it makes zero sense period and that HB (Hulkbuster) i mentioned that i am buying earlier its an $800 doll :rotfl :rotfl (laughing because i am sure if $300 upsets you for no reason $800 should really make you mad).

Last edited:
Curiously enough my 45 year old mrs gets probably 'almost' as much enjoyment out of my Hot Toy stuff as me. She does some of the fiddly, finesse required things when setting the figures up where a woman's delicate touch works better than a male farmer's fingers (I'm looking at you John Matrix especially).

Certainly she gets a lot out of all my gaming memorabilia, and buys plenty of it herself.

Haha here we go with the "dolls" again. :slap

That is really *****cking annoying seeing anyone say stuff like that on a forum dedicated to action figures and statues.
I can kinda understand if the figure has rooted hair or a lot of clothing to change out, but this is Iron Man, there is nothing doll-like about these.

That is really *****cking annoying seeing anyone say stuff like that on a forum dedicated to action figures and statues.
I can kinda understand if the figure has rooted hair or a lot of clothing to change out, but this is Iron Man, there is nothing doll-like about these.

Yeah I hear ya. It gets old reading that crap. They're collectible figures, calling them dolls is highly degrading of what they are. And yeah, of all the figures to NOT call dolls, Iron Man is at the top of that list.

It's rather odd to be complaining about people spending big dollars on figures on a forum dedicated to such.

You can certainly grow out of hobbies and that looks like the case here. I've had other hobbies in the past that I was really into at the time, but now I am not really involved in them anymore. I've even thought at times about all the money I spent and if it was really just a waste.

If you can look at your figures and come to the conclusion that the price you're paying is not giving you the enjoyment that it once did, then it is probably time to move on.

I personally think the best thing to spend that disposable income on is travel. Your world becomes infinitely larger once you start going out there and seeing what else our planet has to offer. Do it whilst you're young so you are fit enough to do everything you can.

I can honestly say that looking at my small collection of HT figures (9 in total), I don't want to have a room full of them. I love the look of them and I will still continue to collect some, but there are other things I want to experience in my life as well.

Everyone is different and we have all come into this hobby at different stages of our lives. Some of us may have already travelled and now it's time to settle and collecting figures gives them enjoyment. I'm a bit in the middle here, but I only have so much money to burn and right now I'd rather travel more, rather than buy more items to tie me down.

I have this feeling of wanting to buy figures, but not wanting to spend too much money on them lol.

I'd love this Mark III Stealth, but it's just a lot of money to burn right now.

Yes I know - I am new to this forum and many of you can hold this fact against me but does it mean that my opinion is less valuable then yours. I am also a collector and I have read this and many other threads and when I am reading how you people keep moaning about high prices of "this" or "that" figure especially when it is Hot Toys figure - sorry for being honest - but it makes me sick. You should be glad that you can buy them from Sideshow which is reasonably cheap. Moreover it offers pay plans, reward points and Customer Service when something goes wrong - what is not to like especially when compared to other civilized countries like United Kingdom for example where we pay for these figures much more money than you do. This figure in Sideshow costs 309.99 + postage which I am assuming is 20 - it gives total of 329.99 US dollars. If you want to buy it in UK and from UK - options are limited especially with exclusive figures and the amount you usually pay for it is way much higher than the Sideshow asking price. I have checked most popular online stores in UK and this figure is not available yet and even when it becomes available it will definitely be much more expensive. The only store I was able to find which actually offers this figure as pre order is La Cite des Nuages from Belgium. The price is 419.90 Euro + 12.90 Euro postage - total amount is 432.90 Euro which is 490.69 US dollars. So please, with all due respect - stop moaning.

I've been collecting Hot Toys from nearly the beginning. I started with the Appleseed figures that were released in the pre-Marvel days. I'm still collecting, and I have well over 100 HT figures at this point. While I haven't become bored with the figures, I do become bored with the forum, especially when there are topics like this. People telling us that we are basically bad people or stupid to keep buying these, when it is our hobby. If you don't like it, why are you here? Do you really enjoy pissing in other people's Cheerios that much?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back